Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
Sounds like a comment for Town Hall. Personally, I’m just trying to think of where to invest. I’ll save political talk for an election year.
My comment is more an economical point on New York's road to perdition.

Don't buy the bonds.

Advertisement
Fed Chairman Mao, I mean Powell reports on disinflation @ 10:00
keep rates higher longer and possibly faster
softening of labor market
housing mkt will soften
decisions will be made month to month
January data was caused by warmer weather
Generally hawkish and will address the economy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fed Chairman Mao, I mean Powell reports on disinflation @ 10:00
keep rates higher longer and possibly faster
softening of labor market
housing mkt will soften
decisions will be made month to month
January data was caused by warmer weather
Generally hawkish

You can absolutely blame Powell/The Fed for not starting their rate hikes earlier, but as of the data today, he/they have no choice but to be "higher for longer".

If I'm buying stocks, I'd likely buy Visa and Mastercard. Assuming inflation is going to keep running above 2%, unemployment isn't likely to jump too high and consumer spending staying hot due to inflation and low unemployment. I'd also consider Amazon which is off their high and likely performs well in the same environment. My other tech picks Intuit (INTU), Etsy, and MongoDB (MDB). I'm also watching Airbnb in hopes that the AirBnBust news will drive it down even with good earnings coming in.

I also think the next 6-12 months would be good for 10% with short-term bonds. Who knows if the FED will over-tighten in 12 months! As of January they added .25 but verbally eased the policy.

You can absolutely blame Powell/The Fed for not starting their rate hikes earlier, but as of the data today, he/they have no choice but to be "higher for longer".
I have no complaint about higher for longer, as long as we raise it at small increments, letting supply catch up with demand [soft landing], instead of causing massive defaults. And of course we need to pay down debt. It’s a shame we can’t have a bi-partisan agreements.

Last edited:
If I'm buying stocks, I'd likely buy Visa and Mastercard. Assuming inflation is going to keep running above 2%, unemployment isn't likely to jump too high and consumer spending staying hot due to inflation and low unemployment. I'd also consider Amazon which is off their high and likely performs well in the same environment. My other tech picks Intuit (INTU), Etsy, and MongoDB (MDB). I'm also watching Airbnb in hopes that the AirBnBust news will drive it down even with good earnings coming in.

I also think the next 6-12 months would be good for 10% with short-term bonds. Who knows if the FED will over-tighten in 12 months! As of January they added .25 but verbally eased the policy.
I like the cut of you Jib.

Advertisement
I have no complaint about higher for longer, as long as we raise it at small increments, letting supply catch up with demand [soft landing]. And of course we need to pay down debt. It’s a shame we can’t have a bi-partisan agreements.

If all of the hiking up to now has not slowed the economy down, smaller hikes may not work. I would rather they raise a full point and said they were stopping.

If all of the hiking up to now has not slowed the economy down, smaller hikes may not work. I would rather they raise a full point and said they were stopping.
I’m sorry to disagree. Powell said we haven’t felt the full affects of our rate hikes, which to me was a key point.

There are a number of factors keeping the FED's hikes from working:

1. Treasury dumping $1T into the market to keep the government from shutting down. (All out of $$ in 2 months when Congress has to do something)
2. BOJ QE. April new chairman of the Bank of Japan could reduce their QE as they are now seeing 5% inflation.
3. China re-opening.
4. Labor shortages that aren't likely to go away.
5. Europe had warm weather allowing them to avoid an energy crisis and spend that money on goods and services.
6. Our own fiscal policies like inflation-adjusted SS. Defense spending. etc.

They can keep hiking rates and we are more likely going to see a Treasuries market issue that forces them to pause while doing some yield curve control. Thus, inflation remains hot for longer with rates higher for longer. Inflation is more of a political issue than an economic one. We the people like the stimulus thus Congress will keep stimulating the economy with higher minimum wages, more social programs, more tax credits for green and child care, more defense spending... When WE the People are sick of inflation, we will either push back on Congress or allow J Powell to raise rates to a breaking point of inflation.

This means J powell can only hike them so high before real pain is felt and no one is willing to accept the real pain so we handle a little pain for a long time while Congress keeps spending.

Advertisement
DOJ is sues JetBlue over the Spirit take-over.

I personally want JetBlue to take over Spirit. JetBlue outperforms as a company compared to American Airlines. The DOJ is going to hurt the public with this lawsuit vs help. The DOJ is also trying to kill the JetBlue-AA northeast partnership. Who at JetBlue has been peeing in the DOJ's cereal?

If JetBlue can resolve these two cases, I expect them to become the #3 airline behind Delta and United in time.

I personally want JetBlue to take over Spirit. JetBlue outperforms as a company compared to American Airlines. The DOJ is going to hurt the public with this lawsuit vs help. The DOJ is also trying to kill the JetBlue-AA northeast partnership. Who at JetBlue has been peeing in the DOJ's cereal?

If JetBlue can resolve these two cases, I expect them to become the #3 airline behind Delta and United in time.

JB and Delta are by far the best run US airlines.

Since so many porsters on here dabble in crypto

For what possible reason? There are whole industries with just one or two players dominating the field and they're worried about two small airlines?

Advertisement
Back