Stephen Morris - The Regression

Take the facets of his play (tends to be erratic, stares, but hangs in the pocket under heat)

This is a joke......right?

He's stayed in the pocket more this year. That's how he got hurt, no? Hasn't (before the injury) tucked it as much as he did last year - which folks were complaining about earlier this season not running for 1st downs, or making yards salvaging a play. Falling backwards throwing a deep TD pass wasn't while scrambling, he was backing up in the pocket IIRC.

Advertisement
No.....that's exactly the opposite of how he got hurt. He got a little pressure......flushed out of the pocket and got tackled running towards the sidelines.

I think Fisch had a lot to do with it

we have completely abandoned the middle of the field in the passing game. idk wtf they are doing out there. just run run run please

The middle of the field is actually where most INTs happen. When you have a QB who is pick happy the middle of the field is the last place you want him focused.

Golden said the other day that those ints came from bad decisions and that if they only had 2 ints they would have had 600yds on offense. Also he said that he would have to change plays or players if things don't change and coley said morris has to start throwing the ball away more.

Morris is throwing more picks this year, but, other than that, he looks exactly the same as he has for 3 years. Opponents also dropped a whole lot of picks last year. He hit a bunch of defenders between the numbers last year, and they just didn't squeeze them.

He's always been this guy. This is who he is. He'll make some incredible throws, and then he'll kill you the next series. That's Morris.

Advertisement
Stephen Morris has developed under 3 different offensive cooridinators..... Whipple, Fisch, and now Coley. That would slow anybody's potential down at any level.

Also it seems as if he has a "bum" ankle and that would slow any QB down as well which could drastically hurt his draft stock once NFL teams evaluate him physically.

There is nothing else to say about it imo.....

S. Morris is still going to bounce back, and you see he's not pointing fingers when there are tangible reasons that he has struggled to be consistent throughout his 2 year career as a starter that has nothing to do w/ his mental make-up.

Also ppl want him to be Jameis Winston.... well Jameis was the #1 player in the country when he came out so i would assume he had a much higher floor to start w/ then Stephen Morris who was just a lowly rated 3 star recruit w/ minimal BCS offers.

No.....that's exactly the opposite of how he got hurt. He got a little pressure......flushed out of the pocket and got tackled running towards the sidelines.

He was bailing from the pocket against UNC even when there was no actual pressure.

Advertisement
He just looks off this season. Maybe he can't handle the hype. To me it's his decision making. He always wants the deep play. If it isn't there, check it down to the backs and TEs... Utilize the middle of the field because teams have totally stopped defending the middle. I was at the UNC game and guys are running free in the middle. I swear we only run like 4 routes too. Either the WR screen, the 9 route, the slant, or the button hook or out... When is the last time we ran short crossing routes to get our playmakers the ball in space? When is the last time we hit a TE over the middle. I still personally think his ankle (plant foot) aint right..

Morris is throwing more picks this year, but, other than that, he looks exactly the same as he has for 3 years. Opponents also dropped a whole lot of picks last year. He hit a bunch of defenders between the numbers last year, and they just didn't squeeze them.

He's always been this guy. This is who he is. He'll make some incredible throws, and then he'll kill you the next series. That's Morris.

This is pretty much how I see it. I've got this lingering hope that he puts it together. It's the only way we can make a legitimate run. Maybe that's forced optimism.

He was bailing from the pocket against UNC even when there was no actual pressure.

That is one of the problems, he has happy feet whether from injury or interceptions, hopefully he will get it together and play lights out against F$SWHO

Advertisement
Morris is streaky, and that streakiness leads to reactionary threads like this. Going into the UNC game, he was statistically one of the most efficient and highest-rated passers in the nation. Some of that was due to competition, but he only played 2.5 quarters against USF and Savannah State and had to go against a QB-killing Gator defense.

He is what he is. At this point, he is a rich man's Brock Berlin (although I'm sure the revisionist historians will dispute the "rich man's" part).

Morris hasn't regressed, he just hasn't made the jump to elite status some of us were hoping for. Here's what I do know: he is our best quarterback since Dorsey and our second-best quarterback in two decades. He's tough, he can lead game-winning drives, he has a special arm and he's been the leader of the best 'Canes team in many years.

I'm excited to see how he finishes his college career.

I've always known Morris to have a 1st round arm attached to a CFL brain. The game is too quick for him and he becomes Robot Stephen at times. Anytime he's pressured, red sirens on his head start blinking, steam shoots from his mouth, and his brain cells rush to get to their battle stations and keep the whole **** thing from blowing up.

I just thought perhaps Fisch maybe made things easier on him knowing full well he struggled going through his progressions quickly. Did he simplify things? Give him one deep throw and then an escape route underneath? Then again, it's supposedly almost the same playbook, is it not? Or is this just Morris being Morris, but we are getting a bigger sampler size to see him for who he really is? Perhaps it's the ankle actually acting up? Is it bothering him? Is it cheaper to get the fries and drink separate? Is Huell still waiting in that hotel room hiding from Walter White? There's just too many questions.

Ever notice how little Dorsey was sacked, then when the backup came in, he was always sacked? Morris needs to get through his progressions. He needs to start making the easy throws instead of going for the big plays all the time.

Advertisement
I think Fisch had a lot to do with it

we have completely abandoned the middle of the field in the passing game. idk wtf they are doing out there. just run run run please

The middle of the field is actually where most INTs happen. When you have a QB who is pick happy the middle of the field is the last place you want him focused.

I don't think he reads the middle very well. Every big time throw he makes is either deep or to the sideline. There are times when guys are open over the middle but Morris just doesn't see them. I think you are right when saying that is always who he was.

The one thing I see different is him throwing off his back foot when under pressure. His pocket awareness has been awful which wasn't the case last year. I noticed it in some of the fall camp highlights and it has carried over into the season. Its not just the ankle injury because he has been doing it well before that.

Why do ppl keep harping on this "middle of the field" bs?

The offense is still moving up the field at will regardless.

Who cares, thats not going to prevent any of the bad interceptions he's thrown this season.

He just has to take the sack or throw the ball away when there is nothing there, and move on to the next play..... you all are trying to make more of this then it really is.

He has ankle issues, he's working w/ his 3rd offensive coordinator and just has to get back in sync..... if you dont think those things have more to do w/ his "inconsistencies" this season, then anything, then you just want to come up w/ reasons to MOPE.

Advertisement
Back