Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
View attachment 175576
This dude looks like an *******, i love it. Strength staff is elite tho for real.
Maybe he is and it could be to play good cop/bad cop, but in an interview that Feld did he specifically said that he doesn't want to coach the kids with fear or punishment, but rather by showing them how it is in their best interest to push themselves.

Advertisement
Do you support Dorsey? Whipple? They've never called plays.

After more research, I don't think Ponce is nearly as bad as the board claims:
- He seems to have had a pretty decent year calling plays in Year 1.
- The QB play there dramatically improved.
- He learned under Satterfield, who's offenses are much more highly rated by the advanced analytics at Louisville than at App State, since F+ is biased in favor of more talented teams.

Does this make him a Kendal Briles? No. If you're objection is you want a proven commodity for 2M than I certainly understand... this is underwhelming.

But I'm really not sure why he's doomed to failure here, which is what many on the board are claiming. I myself put hires into 3 baskets:

(1) Proven, successful coordinators. Very likely to succeed. (Briles, Mullen, etc.)
(2) (Middle ground between 1 and 3). Not proven one way or another. Limited (or nonexistent) track record calling plays/implementing scheme. But promising signs pointing to potential future success. These are tossups, but acceptable risks. (E.g. Dorsey, Coen).
(3) Proven caca; Smells worse than my excrement. In all likelihood gonna fail types (e.g. Coley).

There's a much stronger argument to put Ponce in category 2 than in category 3. I'd obviously prefer someone in Category 1, but I'd be content with someone in Category 2. Within Category 2, I'd take some people over Ponce (Dorsey, Coen), but if we can't land them, I don't mind rolling the dice on Ponce. He's not an automatic, surefire failure in my mind and I actually think he has a decent shot to succeed here.
I'm going to eat crow and flip. I wanted a proven OC with plenty of experience and success. I was against Brady because he hadn't done much play calling. What I have come to realize in watching these NFL teams hire coaches is that they recognize talent and are not afraid to acquire it. They look at who these assistant coaches have coached under and mentored by. They understand that you can't be an OC or DC without actually being given the opportunity to be one.

So, at this point, I'd prefer Mario hire an OC with a high ceiling with innovation. A person that has worked and mentored under successful coaches with great minds.

Edit: You can now ad Ken Dorsey to the list of current OC's who haven't been an OC or called plays as he is now the OC for the Buffalo Bills. Congrats to Ken!!!

Last edited:
At least with Ponce, we know that he’ll never leave
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Advertisement
To be 100% honest - I'll start by saying I still don't think it's Ponce and haven't had any reason to believe it is

I've always loved that Satterfield system and the 2 seasons at FIU that he was OC were the 2 winning seasons that Cristobal had there 2010-2011

I've been around the App State program for many years being 45 min to an hour away and attended a ton of Satterfield clinics. Ponce runs the same thing and has been with Satterfield for like 10 years from FIU-App State-Louisville so he knows it as well as Satterfield does.

Would Ponce be the end of the world? No. He's better than Coley. Someone said would you rather have Strong as DC or Ponce as OC and I said give me Ponce 10 times out of 10.

The reality is, I just expect more out of our coordinator hires. I'd love to have Ponce on staff to influence the outside zone run game and some of their concepts but it doesn't make sense for him and his career to leave playcalling to just be on staff at Miami.
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF
arnold schwarzenegger GIF by Jerology

Advertisement
Elite coordinators and position coaches aren’t going to run to Miami just for a big bag. They have multiple opportunities and money is not the only factor. Dorsey has an opportunity for an NFL OC gig. Joe Brady may be waiting for the 5 NFL HC and staffs to be filled, see if he can fit into one of those. A lot candidates with NFL ties are waiting for those.

Schumann was a DC candidate, but opted to stay put at UGA, allegedly for family reasons.

Heck, B-Mac split after a month for his alma mater (and perhaps wifey considerations - she supposedly doesn’t like the Miami area).
Of all the dumpster fires that are SEC towns, Athens is actually a pretty nice place to live. A couple years back the state of GA got in the 21st century and started allowing breweries to sell pints on premises (what a concept). They've got some great beer. Terrapin in particular.

And all the people there hate the gators so that's a good start to a relationship.

Advertisement
You know what is interesting? The differences between Mario and Riley and their approach to rebuilding their respective programs. Miami and USC share many similarities (too many to describe). Both universities find themselves at crossroads with new, young coaches looking to reinvigorate football programs rich in tradition, but underperforming.

As I said yesterday, Mario is focused predominantly on recruiting -- salvaging the '21 class and building relationships with the very talented '22 class. He is doing so to what many believe is detrimentally impacting the completion of his coaching staff.

The result: Our 2021 class is significantly better than what many of us anticipated (despite what might be a disappointing finish) due predominantly to Mario. We are off to a great start with 2022 targets. We have been mediocre at best with the Portal. Staff is incomplete and the subject of national ridicule (strong word and a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point).

Riley, on the other hand, is saying F recruiting (to some extent). I am going to hire the best staff money can buy and then go out and dominate the Portal. 2022 will take care of itself because winning next year will ultimately attract ballers.

The result: USC's staff is complete and talented. He is cleaning up with portal transfers, yet his 2021 class sucks.

Better approach? Only time will tell. It is too soon to judge. I am not counting Mario out, but he needs to nail these hires to make it worthwhile for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back