Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Based on what? His one year of playcalling experience?
Do you support Dorsey? Whipple? They've never called plays.

After more research, I don't think Ponce is nearly as bad as the board claims:
- He seems to have had a pretty decent year calling plays in Year 1.
- The QB play there dramatically improved.
- He learned under Satterfield, who's offenses are much more highly rated by the advanced analytics at Louisville than at App State, since F+ is biased in favor of more talented teams.

Does this make him a Kendal Briles? No. If you're objection is you want a proven commodity for 2M than I certainly understand... this is underwhelming.

But I'm really not sure why he's doomed to failure here, which is what many on the board are claiming. I myself put hires into 3 baskets:

(1) Proven, successful coordinators. Very likely to succeed. (Briles, Mullen, etc.)
(2) (Middle ground between 1 and 3). Not proven one way or another. Limited (or nonexistent) track record calling plays/implementing scheme. But promising signs pointing to potential future success. These are tossups, but acceptable risks. (E.g. Dorsey, Coen).
(3) Proven caca; Smells worse than my excrement. In all likelihood gonna fail types (e.g. Coley).

There's a much stronger argument to put Ponce in category 2 than in category 3. I'd obviously prefer someone in Category 1, but I'd be content with someone in Category 2. Within Category 2, I'd take some people over Ponce (Dorsey, Coen), but if we can't land them, I don't mind rolling the dice on Ponce. He's not an automatic, surefire failure in my mind and I actually think he has a decent shot to succeed here.

Advertisement
Shame on you. This post reminds me of a person stuck on a desert island with no fresh water. The first day or two, the idea of drinking one’s own urine is both repulsive and untenable. By day 3, the person sucks it down like it was from a cold mountain stream. This is what desperation does to people.
Spot on: I'm definitely broken.

oh hell no i give up GIF

Feel like we won't know **** until these NFL teams fill their coaching rosters. Could be end of the month before we know honestly. His time table is probably just before spring ball. So he's got several weeks, looking at his old hires he made on dating into March. So we know he's ok being patient AF unlike us

Elite coordinators and position coaches aren’t going to run to Miami just for a big bag. They have multiple opportunities and money is not the only factor. Dorsey has an opportunity for an NFL OC gig. Joe Brady may be waiting for the 5 NFL HC and staffs to be filled, see if he can fit into one of those. A lot candidates with NFL ties are waiting for those.

Schumann was a DC candidate, but opted to stay put at UGA, allegedly for family reasons.

Heck, B-Mac split after a month for his alma mater (and perhaps wifey considerations - she supposedly doesn’t like the Miami area).

Advertisement

- He learned under Satterfield, who's offenses are much more highly rated by the advanced analytics at Louisville than at App State, since F+ is biased in favor of more talented teams.

Does this make him a Kendal Briles? No. If you're objection is you want a proven commodity for 2M than I certainly understand... this is underwhelming.

But I'm really not sure why he's doomed to failure here, which is what many on the board are claiming. I myself put hires into 3 baskets:

(1) Proven, successful coordinators. Very likely to succeed. (Briles, Mullen, etc.)
(2) (Middle ground between 1 and 3). Not proven one way or another. Limited (or nonexistent) track record calling plays/implementing scheme. But promising signs pointing to potential future success. These are tossups, but acceptable risks. (E.g. Dorsey, Coen).
(3) Proven caca; Smells worse than my excrement. In all likelihood gonna fail types (e.g. Coley).

There's a much stronger argument to put Ponce in category 2 than in category 3. I'd obviously prefer someone in Category 1, but I'd be content with someone in Category 2. Within Category 2, I'd take some people over Ponce (Dorsey, Coen), but if we can't land them, I don't mind rolling the dice on Ponce. He's not an automatic, surefire failure in my mind and I actually think he has a decent shot to succeed here.

Ponce as QB coach I’m fine with. Not as OC

Advertisement
Noted. Thanks for your guess. Let me know if you had any back up choices. I'll say mine after anyone who wants to ply gets in.

FYI post #31,333 (click) if anyone else wants to play.
I don't know why, but reading the summary made me think of the Cowboys. Not sure Jones would be the most receptive owner to partner with a crypto company though.

Advertisement

Dorsey and Whipple are up and comers in the NFL who are highly thought of and in Dorsey’s case is being considered for multiple NFL OC roles. Ponce’s best job was qb coach at Louisville, he’s spent the overwhelming majority of his career in high school, at FIU and at App St, and has been rumored for no OC jobs at major programs, let alone the NFL.

Dorsey and Whipple are up and comers in the NFL who are highly thought of and in Dorsey’s case is being considered for multiple NFL OC roles. Ponce’s best job was qb coach at Louisville, he’s spent the overwhelming majority of his career in high school, at FIU and at App St, and has been rumored for no OC jobs at major programs, let alone the NFL.
Yeah I prefer both over Ponce. But it seems like we're having trouble landing the Dorsey/Whipple/Brady types. Now what?

The question is: Can Ponce succeed? (Not is x better relative to y?)

My contention is there are more signs suggesting he can than signs suggesting he can't. It's not a terrible hire if Mario had him has a plan C/plan D and he had to work his way down.

Yeah I prefer both over Ponce. But it seems like we're having trouble landing the Dorsey/Whipple/Brady types. Now what?

The question is: Can Ponce succeed? (Not is x better relative to y?)

My contention is there are more signs suggesting he can than signs suggesting he can't. It's not a terrible hire if Mario had him has a plan C/plan D and he had to work his way down.
My lord they’re doing Ponce algebra start the rapture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back