Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

Tropical Park is currently a dump that could desperately use a reboot. If done tastefully, they could turn that place into a tourist destination instead of a place for reggaeton and salsa fanatics to gather and make lots of noise on Saturday afternoons.
this is false. it is not a dump. could it be nicer? yes. but it is far from a dump.

Advertisement
We do lack green space, and it would stink to lose any more of that, but I don't know that erecting a stadium where the current one sits would do much harm. If a new stadium coincided with a refresh of other amenities it would be a net positive imo.
it would do a ton of harm, considering that tens of thousands of people use the park each week for numerous activities. to do a stadium at the park would require paving a vast majority of it. and public parks should not be used for private stadiums.

@rsa coral gables The current stadium at Tropical already has a pretty big footprint. Here let me illustrate:

Tropical.jpg

compared with Baylor's new 50k seat stadium

817988d0c0a8f962c14432d67331f18d--college-names-college-dorms.jpg

Advertisement
There's tons of open space for people to park 7 out of 365 days a year.
They wouldn't need to pave over the entire park at all imo

I agree, but they'd need to pave over a lot of it, and between that and the stadium (I think if you do the math on how much the non-field parts take up you'd be surprised - the field is a small part of the SF) you'd have to eat up the majority of the park. What they will do is offer to totally re-do and manage the rest of the park to make it a jewel for the community. Will be an interesting battle. Will go to a vote and there are a LOT of Gator and None graduates, as well as fans of not Miami in town. Not super optimistic.

the Inter Miami stadium deal apparently is done and now it goes before the City of Miami commission.

the Inter Miami site, for the many reasons i cited earlier, could never be tailored to include a larger stadium for the Canes.

Thanks for the link.

It is really difficult to hear about how the soccer stadium is a con game from the perpetrator of the biggest fraud to date in Miami-Dade County. My biggest surprise is David Samson has the balls to continue living down here after his time running the Marlins with his carpetbagging father-in-law. Then again, I should place a big amount of blame on Bud Selig and MLB for allowing Luria to basically swap out of the Expos and come to the Marlins.

Thanks for the link.

It is really difficult to hear about how the soccer stadium is a con game from the perpetrator of the biggest fraud to date in Miami-Dade County. My biggest surprise is David Samson has the balls to continue living down here after his time running the Marlins with his carpetbagging father-in-law. Then again, I should place a big amount of blame on Bud Selig and MLB for allowing Luria to basically swap out of the Expos and come to the Marlins.

Yeah, but he would know what a con deal looks like lol.

It's like when the FBI arrest a hacker and end up hiring him. :)

Advertisement
Thanks for the link.

He certainly had an air of chutzpah didn't he?

Kinda like, "people hear me...you all know that I know hucksters...and these people over here make my con look tame..."

Goodness gracious.

I like this Corben guy less and less the more I find out about him.

Thanks for the link.

The other thing that ****es me off beyond belief about Samson still living here (even if it was in Weston the last time I heard) is that Lebatard gives him a platform and Corben embraces lame banter with him as a means of getting more attention for himself.

And how do they justify it? Corben acts like he's taking Samson to task and Lebatard acts like everything about Samson has been litigated and he's good content because people hate him.

Ignoring the creation of content by ****ing off your audience strategy, this taking to task and his actions have been litigated notion is complete bull****.

Perfect example- not ONCE has Lebatard or Corben pressed Samson on what his own personal financial gain was from the sale of the team- a sale he was magically tasked with handling and one that would effectively end his job in MLB. They let him once say that he didn’t "profit" from the sale of the Marlins and just moved on when it's beyond obvious that was just lawyerspeak. If Corben or Lebatard ACTUALLY were these guardians of the public interests of Miami then they wouldn't have had any association with Samson until he offered FULL disclosure about his personal windfall from the "con" he's now admitting to.

The other thing that ****es me off beyond belief about Samson still living here (even if it was in Weston the last time I heard) is that Lebatard gives him a platform and Corben embraces lame banter with him as a means of getting more attention for himself.

And how do they justify it? Corben acts like he's taking Samson to task and Lebatard acts like everything about Samson has been litigated and he's good content because people hate him.

Ignoring the creation of content by ****ing off your audience strategy, this taking to task and his actions have been litigated notion is complete bull****.

Perfect example- not ONCE has Lebatard or Corben pressed Samson on what his own personal financial gain was from the sale of the team- a sale he was magically tasked with handling and one that would effectively end his job in MLB. They let him once say that he didn’t "profit" from the sale of the Marlins and just moved on when it's beyond obvious that was just lawyerspeak. If Corben or Lebatard ACTUALLY were these guardians of the public interests of Miami then they wouldn't have had any association with Samson until he offered FULL disclosure about his personal windfall from the "con" he's now admitting to.
I enjoy Samson on Le batard — especially when billy Gil and mike Ryan grill him. I know he is not well liked; but he is a shrewd businessman with unique perspective.

Advertisement
I enjoy Samson on Le batard — especially when billy Gil and mike Ryan grill him. I know he is not well liked; but he is a shrewd businessman with unique perspective.
Whenever those two have had enough and start going at him is probably the only part I personally like.

I find that he still lies a lot about things not even related to the stadium, sale of the team, payroll, etc. but I could even understand giving him the platform they do IF they were intellectually honest about having actually litigated the sale of the team and the stadium deal with him.

Instead it was like those topics were broached in a repeated by amateurish manner just a means to keep giving him airtime and to say they went there with him and it's up for you to accept or not.

Good lord, if I could "like" this post 1,000 times, I would.

David Samson is one of the biggest frauds in South Florida. Thomas Kramer with less money. ****, he's such a sack of ****e that he was THE FIRST PERSON VOTED OUT on his season of Survivor.

I completely agree with your takes on LeBatard and Corben. I went to UM with LeBatard (same dorm, many classes together) and I've met Billy numerous times. But both of them have lost their ways when it comes to getting in bed with a snake like David Samson, regardless of their perceived desire to court ratings and/or controversy.

Many people have been misled into believing that Shalala was to blame for losing the Orange Bowl, because when she figured out what was happening, she embraced Bobby Knight's opinion on how to handle rape. It was the Marlins. It was the Marlins all along. There is no way that any Miami politician (regardless of whether he sent his son to F$U) would turn down a Dade County vote authorizing renovation of the Orange Bowl as a football stadium UNLESS there was already a Versailles handshake agreement to move the Marlins to that site.

And you hit the nail on the head about Samson's evasiveness on his own personal gain on all of his dealings with the Marlins. He can play all the semantics games he'd like, define "profit" any way he wants (hey, David, did you recognize any CAPITAL GAINS?), but he did what he did.

People need to step back and look at the big picture of David Samson's life. He went to law school but started a newspaper delivery business a couple of years before the internet (the company obviously went under). He then was an investment advisor at Morgan Stanley for a couple of years. When his stepfather, Jeffrey Loria, made him EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT of the Expos, he had zero prior experience in sports. Samson negotiated the shady deal to destroy the Expos that resulted in RICO lawsuits, and then he moved on to do more shady deals for the Marlins along with his stepfather. Since selling the Marlins, Samson hasn't had a job in sports in any capacity.

Figure it out, folks. Samson was Loria's carpetbagger hatchet man for over a decade, engineering every weasel deal that destroyed one sports franchise and then he ripped off one of the biggest cities in America. And now he's telling the world about the "fraud" of trying to do something with Melreese? At least the Mas brothers aren't secretly ******** over a major university that already has a deal in place to build a football stadium at Melreese. Melreese was sketchy when I was a student at UM in the 1980s, at least someone is finally trying to utilize a piece of park land that is directly across the street from one of the busiest airports in the country.

Fvck David Samson. He is the Miami equivalent of Douglas Neidermeyer. A sneaky little ****e. It's just unfortunate that Samson can't go to Vietnam to serve his country.

He's actually not a shrewd businessman. He's a lawyer who failed in business until his stepfather gave him an EVP position that he was wholly unqualified for. And he has done nothing of merit in "business" since his stepfather sold the Marlins.

This is like saying Stan Kroenke is a "shrewed businessman", when he builds Wal-Marts AND HE IS MARRIED TO A WALTON HEIR.

Samson might talk a good game, but he is absolutely not a shrewd businessman. An effective hatchet man, sure.

Advertisement

Shrewd businessman?! Everything this guy touches dies.

Samson is a nobody who married well. He has no talent for business, no brains whatsoever, and thinks that because his daddy-in-law put him in a booster seat to "run" the Marlins he somehow has been gifted into a unique perspective on Miami culture/sports.

The guy is a fraud, and should be treated as such.

Shrewd businessman?! Everything this guy touches dies.

Samson is a nobody who married well. He has no talent for business, no brains whatsoever, and thinks that because his daddy-in-law put him in a booster seat to "run" the Marlins he somehow has been gifted into a unique perspective on Miami culture/sports.

The guy is a fraud, and should be treated as such.

It wasn't even Samson who married well, it was his mom. She married Loria.

It wasn't even Samson who married well, it was his mom. She married Loria.
Loria sold the team for over a billion and was supposed to return at least 5% of the sale to Miami Govt... Last year they settled on 5.5 mil plus 700,000 for whatever else it was explained to be.... Loria got away with murder basically...There's no way in **** Sampson didn't get a piece of that profit...

Loria sold the team for over a billion and was supposed to return at least 5% of the sale to Miami Govt... Last year they settled on 5.5 mil plus 700,000 for whatever else it was explained to be.... Loria got away with murder basically...There's no way in **** Sampson didn't get a piece of that profit...
They give dudes serious time for trying to make money for their family.
I’m not condoning crime in anyway. Anyone stealing or performing armed robbery deserves jail time. But white collar criminals from Enron, s and l scandal, and the 2008 financial crisis have walked in a way that makes the justice system a joke.
Credit cards are legalized loan sharing.
The marlins park is another example of Robert of tax dollars.

Advertisement
Back