Rank Em: Portal Transfers

Advertisement
Thoughts from the Bad Girl Machine?

IMG_6975.webp

(Although these are Good Girls)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Was not a big fan of Alderman coming in. He is not built like a P5 LB and I'm glad others have elevated to keep him in a limited role.

Advertisement
The thing I like is all 10 players have contributed and can be counted on. That’s a pretty good hit rate. Who is the main guy scouting portal players? Whoever he is he needs a raise.

Exceeding Expectations: Cam, Baron and Carpenter
Meeting Expectations: Meesh, Barrow, Alston and Hill.
Below Expectations: Martinez, Brown, and Clark.
Not Sure Yet: Alderman and Cook

I still believe Martinez and Brown will elevate their production as the season progresses. But, YTD they’ve underperformed based on the hype coming in. Clark is meh.

I can’t get a read on Alderman or Cook yet. Cook was hurt early on and is just now getting his feet wet and Alderman has gone unnoticed (not sure if that’s a good thing or not).
I’m not worried about brown sometimes WRs just need time to click with the QB. Like Cam seems to be dialed in with Horton. Sam will make plays for us. Martinez will bring it when it matters he’s got that extra gear

Advertisement
Carpenter has been WAY better than I though he would be. Solid replacement for Lee.
Barrow and Baron have been awesome, as has Alston.
Meesh has been really good.

Martinez has been a question mark. He only got three carries against Ball State. Why? Is he hurt? Coaches saving him for later in the year? My best guess is that these past two games have been glorified scrimmages and the coaches used them to get backups some game film to analyze. If he shows up and balls out when it matters, I'm good.
Martinez got 15 snaps against Ball St, Fletcher got 20 so it wasnt as bad as it appeared. Just kinda worked out where they didnt call as many runs or Cam chose pass on the RPO.

He has had some nice runs this year like when he popped that Florida DB after a 15yd gain or so, Martinez is going to be fine.

I also think they might have a script in place for normal games where Martinez primarily gets Q1 then they bring in Fletcher for 2 & 3. A fresh Martinez gets back in to destroy a tired defense in the fourth quarter. The other guys get sprinkled in throughout the game. Guess we will need to have a game where the opponent is still in it by the 4th to test that theory. So far, they backups are getting thrown in by then.

I’m not worried about brown sometimes WRs just need time to click with the QB. Like Cam seems to be dialed in with Horton. Sam will make plays for us. Martinez will bring it when it matters he’s got that extra gear
100% agree

Ward and Baron give us one player on each side of the ball who can singlehandedly win a game apiece.

Carpenter, Powell, and Barrow have filled critical needs and are doing it very well.

Elijah Alston is an absolute bonus. I think when we got him, we were not expecting to get Baron. If he were our only portal Edge, we would have done well.

Sam Brown, I see as everyone else does.

Martinez, I will say that this outlook is likely to change as the season unfolds. But right now, he's almost superfluous. Of course, when we got him, we didn't know whether we'd have Fletcher. But with Fletcher, Lyle, and Allen running like they are, it almost seems like we didn't need Martinez. I can, however, see him coming up huge in a big conference game where we're thanking God he's here.

Hill, Clark, and Alderman have given us snaps. We've not thought much about them, which is good in a way because they're not ******* up. Solid snaps from the bottom third of your portal class is good stuff.

Marley Cook was out until game 3; I agree with the Incomplete grade. Isaiah Taylor is still out, too, but he could figure in some helpful snaps as we get deeper into the season.

Poff is the only disappointment. Imagine if we never got Ward and Poff was our big starting QB from the portal. Lol

Advertisement
Back