Rank Em: Portal Transfers

Advertisement
Agree with most takes here.

I expected more out of Clark, Brown and Alderman. They've been underwhelming. Barrow is a bit underwhelming but has shown flashes. I also thought Hill would be in the rotation more but that's a credit to Richard and OJ.

Alston is about what I expected. Really like him.

Pleasantly surprised at Baron, Carpenter.

Didn't expect much out of Cook, TBH.

Agree with most takes here.

I expected more out of Clark, Brown and Alderman. They've been underwhelming. Barrow is a bit underwhelming but has shown flashes. I also thought Hill would be in the rotation more but that's a credit to Richard and OJ.

Alston is about what I expected. Really like him.

Pleasantly surprised at Baron, Carpenter.

Didn't expect much out of Cook, TBH.
I’ve rewatched the Ball St game and I’m still calling BS on Baron having .5 sacks and 1.5 TFL

There’s no way

Matter of time before Martinez starts to take over a game here and there
I also think the run blocking hasn’t been great when he’s been in as well. He did look good in the Florida game. He will dominate eventually. Nothing gets Mario harder then a dominant run game lol

Advertisement
I agree that Fletcher is playing better

But imo Martinez is the better back
I agree here. What I would say about Fletcher is that he is way ahead of where anyone including the staff realistically expected him to be as we have seen a developmental jump in his game that again was not expected because of his injury and rehab. Secondly, Fletcher has made the most of his opportunities and he has also been able to get the most out of his ability which to some, makes him seem better than Martinez.

Martinez is RB#1 in terms of ability. The issue here is that he has not produced thus far. Why? Martinez is RB1 so he is in at the very beginning of games where the defense is fresh and for the most part trying to stuff the run with 8+ man boxes. Also as I've said before, Martinez has taken some time to adjust to our inside zone/duo rushing attack coming from an outside zone scheme that he played in for 2 years at Oregon St. Martinez will get there and make the adjustment and when he does I wouldn't want to be the defense/defensive coordinator going against him.

Way too early for this but we’ve got some immediate returns on our portal guys and looks like Mario and the NIL department have hit a grand slam

1. Cam: He is him. Everything as advertised and then some.

2. Baron: Absolute cheat code create a player so far.

3. Alston: Blown away with how complete his game has been.

4. Carpenter: big concerns with him replacing Lee. I’m not an OL guru but he’s been dominant to my eyes.

5. Barrow: Seems to be getting better every week. Love how he looks in Guidrys defense.

6. Meesh: Might be too low of a ranking here he’s been exactly what we needed back there.

7. Hill: secondary has been playing well.

8. Martinez: bit of an incomplete for me so far. Run game looks like it’s still finding itself but he’s still RB1 to me by a wide margin.

9. Brown: talent is obvious. Like Martinez he just seems a tick off from where he needs to be.

10. Clark: idk
Great topic and your list is spot on! Ranked exactly where I would have them and why. Martinez and Brown have a tremendous opportunity to rise in this ranking especially Martinez. Clark had been an enigma wrapped in a mystery. He hasn't been the factor we thought he would be. Is that because he has been banged up or because Moten/Campbell have taken his snaps? Still it's good to have a veteran like Clark with a proven history of production as it's a long season that could be even longer this year.

Cam and Tyler require zero explanation lol!

Carpenter has shut his critics up in resounding fashion.

Hill has played well and has been very solid.

Meesh has been just what we needed and everything we could have asked for in a FS. He is a savvy veteran with a high football IQ who plays the position exactly how Guidry draws it up and that is exactly what we needed. Not getting ahead of myself as Meesh and co have a huge test coming up in ACC play as they will be challenged. However so far he has done an excellent job.

Alston. Also couldn't agree with you more! The kid is incredibly versatile and well rounded. He's not just some one dimensional pass rusher. No sir! Alston stops the run and can set an edge as well as anyone. He is extremely fundamentally sound. He excels at spying the QB(I'd like to see Guidry use him more in this role vs QBs like Haynes King). He is surprisingly fluid and agile in pass coverage where he shows off his remarkable athleticism and awareness. Oh! Almost forgot! He can rush the passer too!

Barrow. Again I'm in 100% agreement. Barrow has steadily gotten better and better every game and was a man against boys on Saturday!

A little off topic but I'm really looking forward to seeing Bain come back and give us a DL of Bain, Barrow, Mesidor and Baron with Alston and Moten, Horton and Scott etc.......

Advertisement
Matter of time before Martinez starts to take over a game here and there
Ball State stacked the box and dared Cam to beat them with the pass. Given the results so far this season, I cannot imagine too many more teams will do that. When the box isn't stacked, I see Martinez feasting.

Advertisement
I forgot about Alderman has he played much?
Yeah 52 snaps which is a decent amount for a backup. Frankly I haven't seen much from him. He's probably still adjusting to Guidry's scheme or perhaps he isnt comfortable in this scheme. I don't know the why. What I do know is that Alderman has not stood out to me thus far. Personally, I would like to see more of Popo, Pruitt, Hayes and Washington.

Yeah 52 snaps which is a decent amount for a backup. Frankly I haven't seen much from him. He's probably still adjusting to Guidry's scheme or perhaps he isnt comfortable in this scheme. I don't know the why. What I do know is that Alderman has not stood out to me thus far. Personally, I would like to see more of Popo, Pruitt, Hayes and Washington.
Pretty sure it was Alderman that posted that video of Mario going ham after the UiF game. I was curious if that was gonna effect his playing time the next couple games

Advertisement
Ball State stacked the box and dared Cam to beat them with the pass. Given the results so far this season, I cannot imagine too many more teams will do that. When the box isn't stacked, I see Martinez feasting.
Can’t imagine what they saw on film that would make them want to go that route. But I guess they didn’t really have much of a choice.

🤷‍♂️

Yeah just looks like he’s trying to find his footing. Fletcher being in the system a while now he’s more comfortable and looks a bit more natural

But Martinez will get it figured out. He’s too good not to
Would be nice if Dawson actually utilized some run plays that weren't so 1 dimensional. Would a toss play kill us ? Martinez being asked to run on 7/8 man boxes

Yeah just looks like he’s trying to find his footing. Fletcher being in the system a while now he’s more comfortable and looks a bit more natural

But Martinez will get it figured out. He’s too good not to
I agree feels like Martinez is getting his footing down but is also just a very patient smart back.

He knows how long the season is, he knows he is a battering ram when needed and I feel like he is reserving his body for those crucial moments.
The O under Cam has been so explosive we haven't had to rely on Damien heavily but when the time comes he is going to eat.
Explosive yards after contact.. carrying people into the endzone like Mike Alstott type **** lol

Advertisement
Back