Palmer transferring

He got tired of transfers taking all his playing time, Coach L needs to decides what kinda be of program he's going to run. He's loosing to much recruits to transferring and it's hurting the team with depth. I expect 1 more to defect here shortly.

The only transfer I wish we could take back is Deandre Burnett. The rest of them, including Palmer, were excellent roster management, IMO.

You want Burnett and his horrible shot selection back?

Advertisement
He got tired of transfers taking all his playing time, Coach L needs to decides what kinda be of program he's going to run. He's loosing to much recruits to transferring and it's hurting the team with depth. I expect 1 more to defect here shortly.

James Palmer didn't play because he wasn't any good. Pretty simple concept. Shouldn't shoot, wasn't athletic and a minus player defensively. I have no problems sprinkling in transfers with highly rated high school prospects. We have a consensus Top 10 class coming in, so your logic that "no one wants to be apart of a transfer-laden team" is flawed.

Meant to upvote

The only transfer I wish we could take back is Deandre Burnett. The rest of them, including Palmer, were excellent roster management, IMO.

You want Burnett and his horrible shot selection back?

yes.

Advertisement
Palmer has an interesting shot. Not as awful as a Shawn Marion or anything. But he has a weird lean or hitch to his shot that makes me feel like he is going to miss every time. I'm actually shocked whenever they do go in. He has the odd ability of making wide open, uncontested threes look extremely difficult. Anyone else notice this?

Palmer has an interesting shot. Not as awful as a Shawn Marion or anything. But he has a weird lean or hitch to his shot that makes me feel like he is going to miss every time. I'm actually shocked whenever they do go in. He has the odd ability of making wide open, uncontested threes look extremely difficult. Anyone else notice this?

Yes. He's a much better shooter than I give him credit for mainly because of that reason.

Once in a while he'll also have a couple silky drives to the basket... also can finish nicely at the rim in fast break opportunities.

I always scream at the TV anytime he comes in.

This is expected and good news.

Now we have room for a big and a G/F transfer. We are deep at G/F next year though, so I expect Coach L to try to find the next McClellan - the best available transfer who will have to sit out a year.

Next year at the 1-3 spots we have Newton, Brown, Muhammed, Reed, Dejan, and Lawrence. That's 6 guys, and all of them can play

This is expected and good news.

Now we have room for a big and a G/F transfer. We are deep at G/F next year though, so I expect Coach L to try to find the next McClellan - the best available transfer who will have to sit out a year.

Next year at the 1-3 spots we have Newton, Brown, Muhammed, Reed, Dejan, and Lawrence. That's 6 guys, and all of them can play

I don't agree. Having a lot of maybes doesn't make you deep. It is just an unknown. The only proven entity is Reed. Newton is the expected PG and he doesn't play like a PG. In his 2 years, he hasn't shown the ability to run an offense. This doesn't mean that Newton can't do it OR that a freshman can't come in and do it. It just means that we're relying on a bunch of unknowns. There is definitely potential. Losing Palmer doesn't change that, it just frees up a scholarship to bring in someone who can help us at PG immediately IMO.

Advertisement

Disagree. Could have used Manu Lecomte this year, Newton made Burnett redundant. Sherman would have been useful as well.

How do you loose something?

Sherman would have helped this years team because he has size. Burnett and Manu do not so I was not unhappy to see either one transfer.

Advertisement

You're going to gave to explain wanting Burnett back.

He shot 35% FG and 29% from the 3 while he was here. Not to mention he was James Harden level bad on D. Good riddance, he's Ole Miss's problem now

Sherman could have made a difference this year. Jekiri, while generally serviceable, was not nearly good enough to carry the burden of being the only big. Sherman had a very promising freshman year. Too bad he screwed it up for himself.

Advertisement
What's the latest on Rick Barry's son? Thought he was looking to transfer from Charleston. Would be a nice addition, if still available.

What's the latest on Rick Barry's son? Thought he was looking to transfer from Charleston. Would be a nice addition, if still available.

He would be a nice addition but he isn't a PG. I think it is very important to grab a guard who is ELIGIBLE and able to play PG. Currently we have Newton at PG and he is not a true PG. He hasn't shown the ability to lead an offense. That doesn't mean he can't do it. It just means we're relying on someone who hasn't done it.

My list is as follows:

1. Cullen Neal,
2. Christian Kessee

Barry would certainly help provide scoring. But adding him does a bunch of weird things to the line-up. Barry would allow Reed to stay at SF. If Reed is playing more time at SF, it frees up Lawrence to play PF. Adding Barry commits Newton to carrying the bulk of time at PG. It then forces a freshman to be the backup; which may be okay because one of them may be a PG in the future.

If there are 80 MPG available at SG and SF and Reed occupies 30 MPG, you could then split 50MPG between Muhammed and Barry. I like adding Barry if we had something reliable at PG and a freshman was capable of being a serviceable backup.

It would also be an interesting 4 guard lineup to change things up.

PG: Newton
G: Muhammed
G: Barry
SF/SG: Reed
PF/C: Murphy/Huell

Christian Kessee > Cullen Neal. I'd be happy with either one though.

Also saw somewhere on Twitter last night that Spike Albrecht was looking to transfer and could play next season

Christian Kessee > Cullen Neal. I'd be happy with either one though.

Also saw somewhere on Twitter last night that Spike Albrecht was looking to transfer and could play next season

Is he healthy? I would take the Spike that was healthy in the past (after the two above).

Advertisement
Back