OT -- Canes Men's BB beats BC in OT at buzzer, plays Duke tomorrow

So apparently Lunardi wasn't a fan of the close win today. Just dropped miami into the last 4 byes category. Havent seen them listed there b4. View attachment 179421
We were 4-4 in February, and lost twice to a fading FSU. Also twice to Virginia, who was just held to 13 points in the first half as I type this.

Despite some contrary opinions I have seen here, I think if we had lost to BC today, especially if it wasn't close, we would have been Out.

Can't believe though the win today doesn't cement us in, Lunardi or not.

Advertisement
We were 4-4 in February, and lost twice to a fading FSU. Also twice to Virginia, who was just held to 13 points in the first half as I type this.

Despite some contrary opinions I have seen here, I think if we had lost to BC today, especially if it wasn't close, we would have been Out.

Can't believe though the win today doesn't cement us in, Lunardi or not.
Obvious Lunardi would have us out had we lost today.

Most recent...Villanova a few years ago...I also know of 99 UCONN team. RIP Hamilton..Khalid el amin...etc...2011 UCONN with Kemba, Shabazz Napier, and Jeremy Lamb...
Among others
Problem with this is while youre mentioning teams that had very good Gaurd play and we're definitely there because of it they also at the very least had several starters with height who contributed in that capacity. Gonzaga had a monster big and Baylor had **** good forward play. We literally have zero size at all to contribute to clogging the middle or contributing on the boards. That just doesn't happen where you have zero size on the team period.

I agree they're super streaky. But they all struggle with ball handling and interior passing. Well actually Sam is a **** good interior passer but it's so annoying watching them constantly turn the ball over any time they try to do a cross over. There's zero reason that game went to over time. Shooting 3s right and left up 4 inside 9f the last minute. That's just bad coaching and execution. Isiaah wong was God awful today and he wouldn't take him 9ff the court for nothing...
Miami commits a very low amount of turnovers per game and turnovering teams is their specialty

Advertisement
Miami commits a very low amount of turnovers per game and turnovering teams is their specialty
I guess the few games I've watched has been the exception. Because I've watched like 4 games this year and in each of those games they've been very turn over prone. I hope ur right though. Down the stretch today and against vag tech suggests u r wrong. As well as the game I saw against fspoo. Seems we have horrible ball skills. I'd agree on turning teams over though being a strength.

I guess the few games I've watched has been the exception. Because I've watched like 4 games this year and in each of those games they've been very turn over prone. I hope ur right though. Down the stretch today and against vag tech suggests u r wrong. As well as the game I saw against fspoo. Seems we have horrible ball skills. I'd agree on turning teams over though being a strength.
This is an insane post lol taking care of the basketball is a clear and quantifiable strength for Miami. Yes, they've had a few games where they've turned it over. Everyone does. Those games have been the exception.

There are 357 teams in D1. Miami has the 8th best turnover %. That isn't just good - that's elite.

I agree they're super streaky. But they all struggle with ball handling and interior passing. Well actually Sam is a **** good interior passer but it's so annoying watching them constantly turn the ball over any time they try to do a cross over. There's zero reason that game went to over time. Shooting 3s right and left up 4 inside 9f the last minute. That's just bad coaching and execution. Isiaah wong was God awful today and he wouldn't take him 9ff the court for nothing...
I was at the game, and I can say it was pretty sloppy. In the first half one of the dook fans behind me said “Miami’s just better”. Second half was a very different story. Just looked like guys were running and falling all over the place. I don’t know why BC didn’t go back to him, but their giant foreigner was just eating our lunch there for a bit. A win is a win though.

Advertisement
This is an insane post lol taking care of the basketball is a clear and quantifiable strength for Miami. Yes, they've had a few games where they've turned it over. Everyone does. Those games have been the exception.

There are 357 teams in D1. Miami has the 8th best turnover %. That isn't just good - that's elite.
Not sure what makes it insane as I specifically said maybe the few games I've watched has been the exception. Because each of those games they turned the ball over right and left down the stretch to make it either closer than necessary or lose...

With zero bigs that's been proven? With 4 gaurds and no adequate 4 or 5s that's been proven? I'd love an example of two please of teams that fit those parameters that have had tournament success as in won a couple games or so. I'm not a basketball person obviously. But I can't think of anyone that fits that tab. What's been proven in my eyes is guards are the driving force but that's when they've had atleast adequate size surrounding them. Sam wardenburg for gods sake is the only lil bit of a size they play as for some reason walker is rarely on the court and he doesn't play a bigs game at all. He plays a European game outside in.
you might be too young to remember this . . . .1987 Hoyas Reggie and the Miracles, sweet 16 and a buzzer beater kept him from the final 4. Reggie and 4 guards, John Thompson coached like a boss that season.

Lets cut the crap. This is one of the most entertaining basketball teams I have watched. Great come from behind victories, close games, and some heart breaking losses. The transition game is fun to watch, and there is always constant movement in the half court, as well as blanket defense in the tight games.
On top of that they are a winning basketball team, do not be the miserable person who wants to bring everything down, enjoy the ride regardless of how
long it last.

you might be too young to remember this . . . .1987 Hoyas Reggie and the Miracles, sweet 16 and a buzzer beater kept him from the final 4. Reggie and 4 guards, John Thompson coached like a boss that season.
Its been evident through decades of Tournaments...Guard play is what matters over big men...
I've given other examples as well.

Advertisement
Really disappointed they extended Jim. BC is crap and we’re a senior laden team should have never been close. Can’t wait for the Duke beat down and one and done in the tourney.
26b7c20bc2fbc93bbbf932e5a4307dca.gif

**** it forgot about the game, glad we won.
Now let's go shock the world tomorrow.
I get it but ... we did beat Duke this season at their place. I hope they shoot a ton of threes as opposed to feeding Mark Williams down low. We have no answer for him.

Lets cut the crap. This is one of the most entertaining basketball teams I have watched. Great come from behind victories, close games, and some heart breaking losses. The transition game is fun to watch, and there is always constant movement in the half court, as well as blanket defense in the tight games.
On top of that they are a winning basketball team, do not be the miserable person who wants to bring everything down, enjoy the ride regardless of how
long it last.
I don't watch a lot of basketball, so maybe I'm way off here, but that team plays D like I haven't seen in a long time. They challenged BC and made them work to get past half-court on every possession. I was actually concerned the Miami guys would run out of steam before the end of the game because they were putting out so much on D.

Advertisement
I don't remember them but I think we'd also agree then and now is night and day in relation to how the game is played.

Duke isn't that special this year.

But I do agree with you. Not sure what the extension was for. It seems L only has good years when loaded with guys 23-24 years old.

• Moore 6th yr senior
  • McGusty 6th yr senior
  • Sam 6th yr senior
  • Miller Grad Transfer (not sure on 5th or 6th yr, I think 5th)
  • Wong is a 3rd year player with a ton of experience

If we don't strike transfer gold it's going to be another rough one next year. Recruiting was decent but he's never done well with young teams
How about enjoying this year? Good lord.

I don't remember them but I think we'd also agree then and now is night and day in relation to how the game is played.
It is. Back then, bigs were the centerpiece of teams. Today, not so much.

I don't think anyone is claiming Miami will make a Final 4 run. They're currently projected as an 8-10 seed. It's not unheard of for a team seeded in that range to make a run, but it's unlikely.

But in a single elimination tournament, anything can happen. Miami has the advantage that it usually decisively wins the points-off-turnovers battle. It has a lot of guys who can get hot. And it has the disadvantage of not being able to rebound at all. We'll see which of those factors ends up playing out. March Madness is a crapshoot for the most part, and there's no real formula for success.

Advertisement
Back