2023 Official Visit Weekend: January 13-15

Advertisement
I can only remember seeing one Syracuse game this season, but it seems like Alford was underutilized as the 3rd WR in a system that leaned heavily on the run, throwing the ball up to Gadsden, and checking down frequently to the RBs or Pena as the underneath WR.

Questions will be why was he underutilized, and if given a bigger share how much more productive can he be? But he definitely fits the profile of one of the biggest needs on this team. (X WR). He had a slightly more productive 2022 than Ladson.

This take isn't lighting my hair on fire, but Alford definitely seems like a take and a guy on the upswing who at minimum can contribute over many of the WRs we have on the roster.
Both dudes in front of him are NFL dudes led by Orande Gasden’s kid who’s probably a 1st round pick.

I’m not gonna use this as a chance to hate on Colbie but he didn’t do anything our last few games once people took notice of him

I think there’s a lot wrong with him being our #1

And to clarify I like the kid a lot, just don’t see #1 receiver in him at this point (realizing offensive issues of course)
WR is a TOTALLY dependent position. Who was playing QB? A banged up TVD, Garcia who can't throw accurate for ****, once you take his first read away, and Brown, who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, with shrapnel from a hand grenade, most of the times. Our OL was trash as fucc. Now let's look at who was designing our route combinations, and calling plays........ see where I'm going with this?

Advertisement
WR is a TOTALLY dependent position. Who was playing QB? A banged up TVD, Garcia who can't throw accurate for ****, once you take his first read away, and Brown, who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, with shrapnel from a hand grenade, most of the times. Our OL was trash as fucc. Now let's look at who was designing our route combinations, and calling plays........ see where I'm going with this?
Yes I see EXACTLY where you’re going with this. It’s the same mental gymnastics we always go though when we have talent problems. We hear all these hypotheticals and mythical excuses and then the season starts.

We can make all the excuses in the world on why we should put blind optimism into this but the fact is once he “arrived” he was completely shut down

We badly need to upgrade

And he wasn’t being shut down by UGA and Bama

We can make all the excuses in the world on why we should put blind optimism into this but the fact is once he “arrived” he was completely shut down

We badly need to upgrade

As stated above, he obviously needs complimentary players, other threats around him . . . not to mention a running game, offensive line that isn't a risk of getting the likes of Garcia killed and a healthy TVD. After he "arrived,'' any DC with a brain knew he was the player you had to take away.

Has Frank Ladsen consigned himself to meh status or is he going to actually try and fulfill his potential?
Definitely just going to be a meh guy who flashes from time to time. But that’s what I was expecting from him when we got him.

We badly need to upgrade

Not making excuses, and you're correct about UGA and Bama... but a WR can't do anything if you can't accurately throw him the ball. It's a dependent position. I'm not saying the kid is all world, and we don't need upgrades at the position across the board (we do!), but I'm telling you, my eyes see a better football player than he's getting credit for. None of our QB could make solid passes the last few games of the season. That's fact. TVD (Hurt), Garcia (holds ball too long. not ready), Brown (Holy ****, inaccurate as F)... so outta our 3 QB's the only one that could possibly get him the ball spent most of the time, injured on the sideline. It makes a difference, whether you want to chalk it up to making excuses or whatever. The kid can't throw it and catch it, too.

Advertisement
Not making excuses, and you're correct about UGA and Bama... but a WR can't do anything if you can't accurately throw him the ball. It's a dependent position. I'm not saying the kid is all world, and we don't need upgrades at the position across the board (we do!), but I'm telling you, my eyes see a better football player than he's getting credit for. None of our QB could make solid passes the last few games of the season. That's fact. TVD (Hurt), Garcia (holds ball too long. not ready), Brown (Holy ****, inaccurate as F)... so outta our 3 QB's the only one that could possibly get him the ball spent most of the time, injured on the sideline. It makes a difference, whether you want to chalk it up to making excuses or whatever. The kid can't throw it and catch it, too.
My guy I’m with you totally. I tried to kind of say as much in the post that it’s nothing at all against the kid. I really like him and think he can really help us.

I can’t really fathom a scenario where our offense can look worse next year….I really cant

So in a way I’m willing to blank slate most guys. There’s no way Garcia is as bad as he looked etc

The line was a disaster, Gattis etc

I did not mean for my post to be “mopish” it would just be really unfortunate if once again we can’t help out this WR room when we are desperate

I'd prefer both haha
Scott Hall Sport GIF by WWE

Hey yo! Hit the button

That doesn't mean anything lol, why people fall in love with the H/W. Is he fast does he create space is he explosive and dynamic is what I want know. There are countless jags at that size
We wanna be physical. That’s what Mario is & will be. Colbie Young & this cat will make us that outside. We are a run first team & will remain that way.

Advertisement
As stated above, he obviously needs complimentary players, other threats around him . . . not to mention a running game, offensive line that isn't a risk of getting the likes of Garcia killed and a healthy TVD. After he "arrived,'' any DC with a brain knew he was the player you had to take away.
Sure. A #1 guy should be able to produce regardless. The Antichrist Mallory still put up numbers

Again I’m not knocking this kid, just a dangerous game to play

(Stating the obvious)

Advertisement
That doesn't mean anything lol, why people fall in love with the H/W. Is he fast does he create space is he explosive and dynamic is what I want know. There are countless jags at that size
Steve Smith was not a tall guy and I would consider him a WR1 at the NFL level. You do not need to be the size of DK Metclaf to a # 1 WR.

We’re like a homeless man on the street corner turning down a free sandwich from someone. Beggars can’t be choosers, we have to take whatever we can get.
Isn't that what we've been doing last 15 years?

Sure. A #1 guy should be able to produce regardless. The Antichrist Mallory still put up numbers

Again I’m not knocking this kid, just a dangerous game to play

(Stating the obvious)
Just need to be patient and see how it plays out. Not sure he's a No. 1 either, but the best size-speed combination we have right now.

As bad as the offense was, hate to imagine what it would have looked like had he not come out of nowhere. So, he's a refreshing bit of hope.

Advertisement
Back