Nova Southeastern Exhibition 7pm ACCNX

FSU has NBA size and has had that for well over a decade. That said, Miami should use speed and athleticism to wear FSU down. Make their advantage a disadvantage.
FSU is both bigger than us AND more athletic. We have small guys that are quick. They have big guys that are quick.

Advertisement
I was thinking Hamilton may have it sweet when Coach K retires, but he is only one year younger than Coach K and one year older than Coach L.

I think that's fair.

But it doesn't change my overall argument. All college teams "struggle" against the press. The press will force turnovers against most college teams. By contrast, NBA teams almost never turn it over against the press.

For example, our press forced a bunch of mistakes by GT at the end of our ACC tournament matchup - do they struggle against the press then? They finished 36th nationally in turnover rate (so, top ~10%), 53rd in assists per FTA, and had an all-conference PG. Clearly, they're good at protecting the basketball, yet the press almost stole a W for us.

I just think this is one of those lazy, brain-dead arguments some fans make. Yes, we're going to turn the ball over against the press. That's not the point. The point is do we do it more or less than other college teams? I would argue we've done it less.
The issue at hand is how we handled a team that pressed almost the entire game. For the most part we handled it though it wasn't pretty. Nova outscored us 17-14 on points off turnovers, almost all came from our mistakes vs. their press. We have the athleticism to deal with this and I'm happy we faced this in an exhibition as it gave the staff a ton of video to uses to help fix this.

FSU is both bigger than us AND more athletic. We have small guys that are quick. They have big guys that are quick.
Which is why I can't grasp why Ham hasn't been able to get them over the hump yet. He's had teams that look like legit NBA squads on the floor, but they have historically underachieved in March. Keep in mind, despite him recruiting like gangbusters for much of the last decade, he has one Elite 8 run, with 4 overall appearances in the second weekend of the tournament. Honestly, after watching his teams over the last 10 years, I can say that despite them being more talented than the teams he had at Miami, there's something missing.

Advertisement
Which is why I can't grasp why Ham hasn't been able to get them over the hump yet. He's had teams that look like legit NBA squads on the floor, but they have historically underachieved in March. Keep in mind, despite him recruiting like gangbusters for much of the last decade, he has one Elite 8 run, with 4 overall appearances in the second weekend of the tournament. Honestly, after watching his teams over the last 10 years, I can say that despite them being more talented than the teams he had at Miami, there's something missing.
There's nothing missing. They have not underachieved in March. They had 1 year where they underperformed their seed by 1 game, and 1 year where they overperformed their seed by 3.

Winning in March is hard and requires a lot of good luck.

Let's not look for reasons to knock them just because they're our rival. They've got one of the 10-15 best programs in every respect.

There's nothing missing. They have not underachieved in March. They had 1 year where they underperformed their seed by 1 game, and 1 year where they overperformed their seed by 3.

Winning in March is hard and requires a lot of good luck.

Let's not look for reasons to knock them just because they're our rival. They've got one of the 10-15 best programs in every respect.

FSU, despite having NBA size and length has been beaten by teams that aren't nearly as talented. Seeds aren't the end all be all, because we've seen time and time again how bad the committee misses in regards to them. FSU has had the reputation of being a "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" team for years, and that's not me talking, that's the impression a lot of coaches outside the ACC have had.

Last edited:
I (unfortunately) live in a Tally household.
The FSU fans certainly are getting more fulfilment out of their basketball team than their football team nowadays.
As long as I see Miller and Sam starting rather than what I consider capable promising players, I will remain envious.
(Yes, it will likely require some better recruiting or luck or Portal transfers.)

IMO, Ham was, for many seasons, a little stubborn when it came to taking players with elite athleticism, at the expense of players, say, who were merely "unathletic shooters." FSU and Memphis were two schools who I felt would've won some championships if they had a player or two who could make a critical free throw and regularly hit a big 3.

Advertisement
FSU, despite having NBA size and length has been beaten by teams that aren't nearly as talented. Seeds aren't the end all be all, because we've seen time and time again how bad the committee misses in regards to them. FSU has had the reputation of being a "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" team for years, and that's not me talking, that's the impression a lot of coaches outside the ACC have had.

Lol I think you're just looking for a reason to discredit our rival. FSU and Hamilton are extremely respected.

Lol I think you're just looking for a reason to discredit our rival. FSU and Hamilton are extremely respected.
People respect Ham, but as other posters have noted, FSU's teams have been very unbalanced. Coaches recognize that flaw and have said as much. People have said that FSU's team, when things goes sideways lack any kind of offensive identity, because they rely on straight athletic ability, they usually can't shoot a lick. This is why they've been unable to go on sustained runs in the Tournament, where you have to be able to do more than just play bully ball, and have guys that can shoot at the guard positions.

People respect Ham, but as other posters have noted, FSU's teams have been very unbalanced. Coaches recognize that flaw and have said as much. People have said that FSU's team, when things goes sideways lack any kind of offensive identity, because they rely on straight athletic ability, they usually can't shoot a lick. This is why they've been unable to go on sustained runs in the Tournament, where you have to be able to do more than just play bully ball, and have guys that can shoot at the guard positions.
They led the ACC in 3pt shooting last season and finished 2nd the prior year lol.

Sure, they had a couple bad years before that, but before that poor stretch, they had also led the league.

The facts just continue contradict all of these claims. FSU has been consistently good, in every respect - recruiting, development, conference play, tournament play, putting players in the league, etc. - for many years now. You can deny it all you want, but the facts, as I've laid out in my prior 3-4 posts, are pretty clear. The idea that they just rely on poorly developed, low bball IQ, raw athletes is outdated (if it was ever true).

Advertisement
They led the ACC in 3pt shooting last season and finished 2nd the prior year lol.

Sure, they had a couple bad years before that, but before that poor stretch, they had also led the league.

The facts just continue contradict all of these claims. FSU has been consistently good, in every respect - recruiting, development, conference play, tournament play, putting players in the league, etc. - for many years now. You can deny it all you want, but the facts, as I've laid out in my prior 3-4 posts, are pretty clear. The idea that they just rely on poorly developed, low bball IQ, raw athletes is outdated (if it was ever true).
Exactly. I am undeniably envious of what Ham has built at FSU. They are a consistent top 15-20 program who gets to at least the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament nearly every season.

Advertisement
Back