Nova Southeastern Exhibition 7pm ACCNX

Advertisement
I went to the game tonight…they didn’t allow any fans to sit in the first 10 rows around the entire bowl. Don’t know why. As far as the game is concerned, we’ve got two ballers, Wong and Moore..the rest are regular dudes. Number 5 from Nova was giving our bigs the business (had 22 when I left) down low! Can you imagine what ACC bigs are gonna do to them?!?!
Maybe L shoulda whispered in his ear to hit the Portal ASAP.

The good: We finally made free throws! shot like 85% from the line. We finally made 3's, 46% from behind the arc. We played good but inconsistent D, 10 steals 11 blocks. Wong looked great, so fast and once he got his shot going he hardly missed. Kam played a terrific first half, deferred a lot in 2H to Wong, finished with 22 points 8 assists 8 rebounds 2 steals, give me something like that every game Kam! Moore is a much needed calming leader. Yes he got sloppy at times but man he is composed. Wooga has the body to bang in the paint, would like to see him attack the rim more.

The bad. We gave up way too many offensive boards, L said our guards can rebound and need to stop standing around watching the ball. Got too sloppy at times, turned it over 18 times, thankfully we had 25 assists to offset. Our ability to break the press needs major work. I wonder if L asked the Nova coach to press us all game because they did. we let them back into the game several times by panicking on the press. I was hoping we'd maintain a lead of 25-30 points so we could get Bensley and Kai in the game.

Conclusion, much to work on but much is fixable. I'll be interested to learn how we do on the 31st in our secret scrimmage.

I watched 2nd half. I agree with strauzer on free throws. Was great to see. Also good to see how many assists we had. Last nights total was legitimately a 4/5 game sample size with Lykes running the 1.

The press is and has been an issue during L’s entire tenure. I still have nightmares of Anthony Lawrence as inbound man late in games against a press. I saw much of the same last night. Force the ball into a corner and pray for the best. Won’t work against longer acc teams.

I don’t have high expectations for this season. But one thing I do want to see is improvement over the course of the year. Haven’t seen it in hardly any sport at Miami in a long time but watching the 2014 hoops team gel was awesome to see regardless of talent level. That was the last year I can say L coached a team up. Hopefully we walk away from this year with a similar feeling

Waardenburg played 28 minutes and got 4 rebounds, Jordan Miller - who very clearly shouldn't be playing the 4 - got 2 rebounds in 20 minutes, Gak had 3 in 12, and Walker had none in 10 minutes. In sum, our frontcourt players got 9 rebounds in 70 minutes.

By comparison, Wooga had 6 in 14 minutes.

Outside of Rodney and arguably Moore, every single player on our team is rail skinny. This problem isn't going away.

Advertisement
The press is and has been an issue during L’s entire tenure. I still have nightmares of Anthony Lawrence as inbound man late in games against a press. I saw much of the same last night. Force the ball into a corner and pray for the best. Won’t work against longer acc teams.

Its insane how much his teams struggle with it.

I watched 2nd half. I agree with strauzer on free throws. Was great to see. Also good to see how many assists we had. Last nights total was legitimately a 4/5 game sample size with Lykes running the 1.

I don’t have high expectations for this season. But one thing I do want to see is improvement over the course of the year. Haven’t seen it in hardly any sport at Miami in a long time but watching the 2014 hoops team gel was awesome to see regardless of talent level. That was the last year I can say L coached a team up. Hopefully we walk away from this year with a similar feeling
We have not struggled with the press under L.

Every team in college basketball will turn the ball over vs the press. These kids aren't pro's. Yes, there will always be moments in a 35 game season where the press makes a college team look bad. But we've had very few games where it has been a recurring issue that we didn't adjust to.

Check our turnover rates on Kenpom. They've been consistently good, with some great seasons sprinkled in, and just one or two bad seasons. There's no evidence that the press has been a consistent problem.

Advertisement

Every team in college basketball will turn the ball over vs the press. These kids aren't pro's. Yes, there will always be moments in a 35 game season where the press makes a college team look bad. But we've had very few games where it has been a recurring issue that we didn't adjust to.

Check our turnover rates on Kenpom. They've been consistently good, with some great seasons sprinkled in, and just one or two bad seasons. There's no evidence that the press has been a consistent problem.

Well I do think some of the press problems are overblown. Our low turnover rate is due to our style of play. When you don't pass the ball much as a team, turnovers tend to be down.

I'm no fan of Russell Westbrook or his game. With one exception: he rebounds like crazy from the Guard position (10 a game just on the defensive end). Our perimeter players needs to watch and emulate Westbrook.

the issue with Walker is he had 3 fouls in 9 minutes, was -5 on the court, zero rebounds and bricked the two 3's he shot. Need him to crash the boards and drive the lane, not take 3 pointers.

Advertisement
Waardenburg played 28 minutes and got 4 rebounds, Jordan Miller - who very clearly shouldn't be playing the 4 - got 2 rebounds in 20 minutes, Gak had 3 in 12, and Walker had none in 10 minutes. In sum, our frontcourt players got 9 rebounds in 70 minutes.

By comparison, Wooga had 6 in 14 minutes.

Outside of Rodney and arguably Moore, every single player on our team is rail skinny. This problem isn't going away.
Being skinny doesn't preclude you from being able to rebound. Miami is going to have to attack the glass as a team, use their athleticism to get boards. Energy will be key. That said, the lack of size will be a problem against teams that like to bang.

Being skinny doesn't preclude you from being able to rebound. Miami is going to have to attack the glass as a team, use their athleticism to get boards. Energy will be key. That said, the lack of size will be a problem against teams that like to bang.
True. However, being skinny, undersized and/or unathletic is tough to overcome when you're trying to get on the boards.

the issue with Walker is he had 3 fouls in 9 minutes, was -5 on the court, zero rebounds and bricked the two 3's he shot. Need him to crash the boards and drive the lane, not take 3 pointers.
Agreed. He’s a career 20%ish 3 point shooter. He needs to stop shooting 3’s (same with Beverly).

Advertisement
Imagine what FSU will do to us.

You want to see a team struggle against the press? Go watch Miami basketball under Haith. That is struggling. Miami would look totally lost against the press, Haith would call a TO and then run the same 2 man inbound play. I'm not joking.

A team's ability to break the press is directly tied to the availability of a good PG. When Miami has a good PG, they look far better against the press than when one isn't there.

Well I do think some of the press problems are overblown. Our low turnover rate is due to our style of play. When you don't pass the ball much as a team, turnovers tend to be down.
I think that's fair.

But it doesn't change my overall argument. All college teams "struggle" against the press. The press will force turnovers against most college teams. By contrast, NBA teams almost never turn it over against the press.

For example, our press forced a bunch of mistakes by GT at the end of our ACC tournament matchup - do they struggle against the press then? They finished 36th nationally in turnover rate (so, top ~10%), 53rd in assists per FTA, and had an all-conference PG. Clearly, they're good at protecting the basketball, yet the press almost stole a W for us.

I just think this is one of those lazy, brain-dead arguments some fans make. Yes, we're going to turn the ball over against the press. That's not the point. The point is do we do it more or less than other college teams? I would argue we've done it less.

Advertisement
Back