Nova Southeastern Exhibition 7pm ACCNX

I went to the game tonight…they didn’t allow any fans to sit in the first 10 rows around the entire bowl. Don’t know why. As far as the game is concerned, we’ve got two ballers, Wong and Moore..the rest are regular dudes. Number 5 from Nova was giving our bigs the business (had 22 when I left) down low! Can you imagine what ACC bigs are gonna do to them?!?!

Advertisement
Hopefully Wong stays hydrated and rested, Miami can’t afford him to go out the game with cramps again.

Advertisement
I went to the game tonight…they didn’t allow any fans to sit in the first 10 rows around the entire bowl. Don’t know why. As far as the game is concerned, we’ve got two ballers, Wong and Moore..the rest are regular dudes. Number 5 from Nova was giving our bigs the business (had 22 when I left) down low! Can you imagine what ACC bigs are gonna do to them?!?!
Like I said, this frontcourt is hot garbage. We did absolutely NOTHING to upgrade it over the off-season. We will get used and abused inside all season long.

Gak, Beverly and Walker the first 3 off the bench.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Gak might be halfway decent if he stays healthy
We have low expectations for him. If he can protect the rim and not fall for shot fakes, he may be able to get some blocks and get a ton of minutes. The guy has the length to be of help in regards to rebounding and interior defense. He moves decently for a guy with bad knees, and his footwork defensively isn't half bad. Miami desperately needs Gak to become a solid big, not spectacular, just serviceable. Miami gets that, and things change in regards to what this team can be. No one expects Miami to be a top 25 team this year, but Miami can be a team on the bubble. I'd feel a lot better if L and his staff would have attracted some bigs. That's something that bugs me. Miami should have been able to attract SOMEONE, especially with the minutes available.

I know a lot of people are freaking out about Nova putting up 90. I'm not. Why? Because it took Nova 90 shots to get there. Think about how many shots that is over the course of a game. There are few, and I mean few teams nationally that play the way Nova does. That said, I would like to see this team not coast. They had the game in hand and they didn't wear Nova down like they should. Miami was really close to truly breaking this game open multiple times and didn't do it. I want to see this team put teams away when they have a shot. That was the difference last year in at least 4-5 games...

Last edited:
It ended up being a double digit win, but geez they don’t look good. Game ended up being competitive late in the game. Wong can play, the rest not soo much.
Miami had the game in hand for **** near the entire night. Let's cut the nonsense. Miami should have put them away earlier, when it was a 23 point lead, that's when I would have loved to see the team put together 2-3 more minutes of good basketball, and really give themselves distance. With the way Nova plays, you know that they are going to chop into a lead, just because of volume of shots. You can be up 30, and they'll go on a 12-0 run, just because they get hot and create a couple of TOs with their tempo and style. If you are up 20, and they go on a similar run, it's an 8 point lead, compared to a 18 point lead.

Advertisement
We have low expectations for him. If he can protect the rim and not fall for shot fakes, he may be able to get some blocks and get a ton of minutes. The guy has the length to be of help in regards to rebounding and interior defense. He moves decently for a guy with bad knees, and his footwork defensively isn't half bad. Miami desperately needs Gak to become a solid big, not spectacular, just serviceable. Miami gets that, and things change in regards to what this team can be. No one expects Miami to be a top 25 team this year, but Miami can be a team on the bubble. I'd feel a lot better if L and his staff would have attracted some bigs. That's something that bugs me. Miami should have been able to attract SOMEONE, especially with the minutes available.

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I wrote that comment, but his instincts are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Miami had the game in hand for **** near the entire night. Let's cut the nonsense. Miami should have put them away earlier, when it was a 23 point lead, that's when I would have loved to see the team put together 2-3 more minutes of good basketball, and really give themselves distance. With the way Nova plays, you know that they are going to chop into a lead, just because of volume of shots. You can be up 30, and they'll go on a 12-0 run, just because they get hot and create a couple of TOs with their tempo and style. If you are up 20, and they go on a similar run, it's an 8 point lead, compared to a 18 point lead.
I watched the game. Yes they should have, but they didn’t. Miami is lacking ball handling and bigs in the worst way. This wasn’t an ACC opponent you’re talking about here. A better team and Miami doesn’t come close. NS’s big was what 6’5”. I know you are optimistic but Miami lacks talent in a major way.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but the fact remains, this was a D2 school.

Advertisement

Planting my flag right now, Wooga's gonna be good.

That's what you want from a player, someone that loves to work on his craft. To this day, I remember watching Jack McClinton at the Wellness Center putting up shots, merely because there was a concert at the Convocation Center, and he wanted to shoot. That work pays off more often than not.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but the fact remains, this was a D2 school.
That is true, but it's also an exhibition. There are ranked teams that have lost to these D2 schools before. It wasn't a great of a blowout as we would like, but Miami controlled this game for most of it. There's little to take away from these exhibitions. What you want is for your team to win, avoid injury and get some work in. That's what Miami did. Now, let's see what happens in 20 days.

These dudes weren’t out there just trying to get a sweat in. They were playing hard because they were in a competitive game with 3 mins to go. Wong played himself into a cramp. But ok man.

Advertisement
I watched the game. Yes they should have, but they didn’t. Miami is lacking ball handling and bigs in the worst way. This wasn’t an ACC opponent you’re talking about here. A better team and Miami doesn’t come close. NS’s big was what 6’5”. I know you are optimistic but Miami lacks talent in a major way.
Miami lacks frontcourt talent. Miami is deep as **** at the guard positions. Lots of different guys you can throw out there that should be able to play at a decent level. The roster is very unbalanced, but let's stop pretending that there isn't talent available to work with.

Offensive rebounds were 18-2. Against a D2 team. ACC play is gonna be a bloodbath.

Our big 3 ain't too shabby, but who else is gonna step up. Despite the competition tonight, Wong was very impressive to say the least. McGruder and Moore also showed some stuff. Big drop off after those three though. Depth is going to be a major issue. I can definitely see teams picking us up full-court from the jump and just wearing those 3 down. Being outrebounded on the offensive glass 18-2 was the most glaring stat to me tonight. We cannot get handled on the offensive boards like this and expect to win against any halfway decent Division I team. Gak can be serviceable if you need him for spot minutes, but I don't see how he's going to be able to give us much playing double digit minutes on shot knees. Sam is Sam. :LOL: That leaves Miller. My God, our success at the post position hinges on what Rodney Miller can give us. Strap in fellas, gonna be a long ride this season.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

Advertisement
Back