NCAA Settlement and Baseball Scholarships

If they double it right away and with a little creativity you can still land 25-30 top recruits. Go national, find top level academic/private school kids. Throw in a small NIL and they are taken care of.

This should be a tiny speed bump. Go out and win 35ish games and you can even use the excuse "Hey look we are close but I need a few more if we want to get back to where we were."

But we should all be prepared for JD to get 2-3 more years regardless of how this season ends up then based off that info.

Advertisement
As I mentioned in another thread... Rad spoke to this in the press conference yesterday. Baseball likely doesn't get to 34 right away and they're working to figure out if they ever take full advantage of that and how they pay for the costs of additional scholarships.

Last I had heard is JD was made clearly aware that 34 likely isn't gonna happen for a while. He's not happy about it but it is what it is. Sounds like they're going to double it either over the next 3 years or right away for 3 years... it wasn't clearly explained to me... and then tentative plan is to go up 1 at a time after that as long as they can handle it.

Makes me wonder what it would look like if JD were to get fired. Probably not getting a good HC to come here handcuffed on scholarships compared to the SEC who will all take full advantage from day 1.
Rogers contradicted himself a bit in that podcast, but at one point he indicated that the ACC and SEC likely end up at 23-25 scholarships, so doubling it in the immediate term would be very competitive if that turns out to be right.

Rogers contradicted himself a bit in that podcast, but at one point he indicated that the ACC and SEC likely end up at 23-25 scholarships, so doubling it in the immediate term would be very competitive if that turns out to be right.
Good to now. Expected all of the SEC to jump straight to the cap or close to it.

As I mentioned in another thread... Rad spoke to this in the press conference yesterday. Baseball likely doesn't get to 34 right away and they're working to figure out if they ever take full advantage of that and how they pay for the costs of additional scholarships.

Last I had heard is JD was made clearly aware that 34 likely isn't gonna happen for a while. He's not happy about it but it is what it is. Sounds like they're going to double it either over the next 3 years or right away for 3 years... it wasn't clearly explained to me... and then tentative plan is to go up 1 at a time after that as long as they can handle it.

Makes me wonder what it would look like if JD were to get fired. Probably not getting a good HC to come here handcuffed on scholarships compared to the SEC who will all take full advantage from day 1.

It's my understanding that UM will commit X additional scholarships to get to the number you mentioned, and then try to do the "name endowed scholarship" fund-raising routine to add additional scholarships.

When I was at UM, I roomed with an athlete who had a named scholarship, he went to a couple of functions a year as a "thank you" to the donor, so I imagine that's a donor opportunity for alums/boosters who want something more "permanent" than making NIL contributions.

It's my understanding that UM will commit X additional scholarships to get to the number you mentioned, and then try to do the "name endowed scholarship" fund-raising routine to add additional scholarships.

When I was at UM, I roomed with an athlete who had a named scholarship, he went to a couple of functions a year as a "thank you" to the donor, so I imagine that's a donor opportunity for alums/boosters who want something more "permanent" than making NIL contributions.
So am I missing something or is it more important to get the ships fully funded or is the number that we get to just as important? That’s been confusing for me since this came out. @TheOriginalCane

Advertisement
So am I missing something or is it more important to get the ships fully funded or is the number that we get to just as important? That’s been confusing for me since this came out. @TheOriginalCane

I'll be honest, it's like I said on the Zoom call, what is the ACTUAL cost of a scholarship? Let's say you added another 100 full-ride athletic scholarships. Would the school shut down? You put one or two extra students in a bunch of classes, who really cares. It's not like we are talking about limited seats on an airplane.

Now, the ACCOUNTING cost of the scholarship is different. I get it. The President wants Athletics to pay their own freight.

But come on...given what we've said a million times before about how successful athletics spurs applications, and then applications boost our academic standing...why couldn't we look at these athletic scholarships like we do for "service scholarships" that are awarded to Student Government officers, the editors of The Miami Hurricane newspaper and Ibis Yearbook, and a host of other organizations (including multiple service scholarships awarded to UM Law Review, Inter-American Law Review, and Moot Court Board, the Res Ipsa Loquitur newspaper and the Amicus Curiae yearbook).

Personally, I think it is more important to AWARD the maximum number of scholarships, and then fund-raise to get those scholarships endowed over time. But, hey, that's me, I've just been around UM since 1986, watching the sausage get made (pause?).

I'll be honest, it's like I said on the Zoom call, what is the ACTUAL cost of a scholarship? Let's say you added another 100 full-ride athletic scholarships. Would the school shut down? You put one or two extra students in a bunch of classes, who really cares. It's not like we are talking about limited seats on an airplane.

Now, the ACCOUNTING cost of the scholarship is different. I get it. The President wants Athletics to pay their own freight.

But come on...given what we've said a million times before about how successful athletics spurs applications, and then applications boost our academic standing...why couldn't we look at these athletic scholarships like we do for "service scholarships" that are awarded to Student Government officers, the editors of The Miami Hurricane newspaper and Ibis Yearbook, and a host of other organizations (including multiple service scholarships awarded to UM Law Review, Inter-American Law Review, and Moot Court Board, the Res Ipsa Loquitur newspaper and the Amicus Curiae yearbook).

Personally, I think it is more important to AWARD the maximum number of scholarships, and then fund-raise to get those scholarships endowed over time. But, hey, that's me, I've just been around UM since 1986, watching the sausage get made (pause?).
Fully agree, almost entirely an accounting “problem”. The biggest resource cost is room+board, and like whatever medical costs we will have to cover, and the extra stuff athletes receive to help them. So yeah there is something to the cost, which is why the scholarship matters… but it certainly isn’t mattering for the classes/academics part imo.

What is it like a $500k-$1M donation to endow a scholarship long-term?

Fully agree, almost entirely an accounting “problem”. The biggest resource cost is room+board, and like whatever medical costs we will have to cover, and the extra stuff athletes receive to help them. So yeah there is something to the cost, which is why the scholarship matters… but it certainly isn’t mattering for the classes/academics part imo.

Would take $1MM+ for a full ride, as only the income on the donation, e.g. 5%, goes towards the costs as I understand it.

I think it's more now. Inflation and whatnot.

I do know that my roommate (who was a diver) got tuition covered through UM (named scholarship, funded via endowment), but not room & board, etc., which was covered by the US Olympic Committee. This was back in the 1990s, not sure how it all shakes out today.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back