NCAA Settlement and Baseball Scholarships

Advertisement
But the Red Sox just extended Cora so we are back even again on the excuse caboose..

Always a fascinating conversation when two members of the Mope Squad get together to talk about "excuses" that nobody is making.

If you want to ignore the massive impact of runaway tuition costs in a partial-scholarship world, that's up to you. There has been a very substantial impact on Miami and all other private schools, and I have argued for a change to the rules not as a "Miami excuse", but as something that would be good for all of college baseball. And, as usual, I was proven correct.

As for my thoughts on the coach, I never wanted JD to be promoted, and I'll be fine if they let him go next year. Until that time, I'm still going to root for my alma mater to succeed.

Always a fascinating conversation when two members of the Mope Squad get together to talk about "excuses" that nobody is making.

If you want to ignore the massive impact of runaway tuition costs in a partial-scholarship world, that's up to you. There has been a very substantial impact on Miami and all other private schools, and I have argued for a change to the rules not as a "Miami excuse", but as something that would be good for all of college baseball. And, as usual, I was proven correct.

As for my thoughts on the coach, I never wanted JD to be promoted, and I'll be fine if they let him go next year. Until that time, I'm still going to root for my alma mater to succeed.

Everyone on here is rooting for the baseball team to win... but congrats on your Superfan Self-high five...

Everyone on here is rooting for the baseball team to win... but congrats on your Superfan Self-high five...

Has nothing to do with "superfan self-high-fives".

Quite literally, this rule-change is the single greatest and most significant and helpful rule change in 50 years, both from an athlete equity standpoint as well as how it helps private schools attain parity with public schools.

But instead of celebrating this advancement and talking about how it can benefit Miami, you're pairing up with another mope to throw shade at all of the posters who have previously talked about UM's challenges and the problems of college baseball over the years, discussions that you reductively insult as "excuses".

Nobody disputes your right to post your little posts. But you go far beyond valid criticism, you are both relentlessly negative about UM while distorting discussion topics (which is the reason this board exists) into "excuses".

Have a drink. Get laid. Do whatever it takes to become less "Angry". If you can't possibly enjoy college athletics without annual championships in football and basketball and baseball, then you need to find another hobby.

It's truly pathetic that you try to insult me by calling me a "superfan". If being a Miami alum, donor, booster, season ticket holder and nearly-lifelong fan makes me a "superfan", then I guess I'm going to have to carry that burden.

Last edited:
If you can't possibly enjoy college athletics without annual championships in football and basketball and baseball, then you need to find another hobby.

This is where they blow it. "YOU JUST WANT CHAMPIONSHIPS EVERY YEAR". No, we could start by making the post-season in baseball and winning a mid-December bowl game in football. Our expectations aren't what you're making them out to be. Baby steps.

Advertisement

Quite literally, this rule-change is the single greatest and most significant and helpful rule change in 50 years, both from an athlete equity standpoint as well as how it helps private schools attain parity with public schools.

But instead of celebrating this advancement and talking about how it can benefit Miami, you're pairing up with another mope to throw shade at all of the posters who have previously talked about UM's challenges and the problems of college baseball over the years, discussions that you reductively insult as "excuses".

Nobody disputes your right to post your little posts. But you go far beyond valid criticism, you are both relentlessly negative about UM while distorting discussion topics (which is the reason this board exists) into "excuses".

Have a drink. Get laid. Do whatever it takes to become less "Angry". If you can't possibly enjoy college athletics without annual championships in football and basketball and baseball, then you need to find another hobby.

It's truly pathetic that you try to insult me by calling me a "superfan". If being a Miami alum, donor, booster, season ticket holder and nearly-lifelong fan makes me a "superfan", then I guess I'm going to have to carry that burden.
Anybody who does not acknowledge this is a huge benefit to Miami in the NIL world is a moron.

Anybody who does not acknowledge this is a huge benefit to Miami in the NIL world is a moron.

That's why there won't be any more excuses. Level playing field. Can't blame the right fielder not knowing where to throw the ball on "scholarship limits, bro".

That's why there won't be any more excuses. Level playing field. Can't blame the right fielder not knowing where to throw the ball on "scholarship limits, bro".

Right. No one is saying this is not great news for Miami to level the playing field.

But it quickly went to you hate Miami and expect championships every season in every sport…

You are triggered again. On a Friday morning in the summer. Engaging in hyperbole while lowering expectations..

It is fascinating.

A university with such great history in football and baseball that there are fans that still follow nearly every pitch, yet expect better, and you have a problem with that.

Watch the game, buy a pennant and enjoy your milkshakes because winning isn’t important.

Advertisement
Right. No one is saying this is not great news for Miami to level the playing field.

But it quickly went to you hate Miami and expect championships every season in every sport…

Yeah, but you and your mopey buddy are characterizing it as "now you can't use that excuse any longer".

Enjoy the rule change. Stop relitigating the past.

Let it go.

You are triggered again. On a Friday morning in the summer. Engaging in hyperbole while lowering expectations..

It is fascinating.

A university with such great history in football and baseball that there are fans that still follow nearly every pitch, yet expect better, and you have a problem with that.

Watch the game, buy a pennant and enjoy your milkshakes because winning isn’t important.

What a dopey post.

As if the definition of "fans who care about winning" is "non-stop negativity" or "the inability to recognize a rule-change that will benefit Miami".

"Winning isn't important". "Lowering expectations". Go **** off with that nonsense.

For well over a decade, I have spoken out against a rule that is both inherently unfair to student-athletes AND has created an ever-widening gap between private school and public school athletic departments. This rule has contributed to the struggles of ALL private school baseball programs, not just Miami.

YOU and your mopey friends characterize this important scholarship issue as "excuses". That is just pathetic.

Expectations should be high. Winning is paramount. That doesn't mean everything will be fixed in one season by one hire or one recruiting class.

Separately, I will enjoy the milkshake named for my former college roommate.

It is possible to enjoy a day at the game while hating losing. I just went to the Cardinals-Braves doubleheader on Saturday. They split the games.

Have a drink. Get laid. Touch grass. You don't have to express negativity and hate 24-7-365. Feel free to snapshot any of those upbeat, optimistic posts by Angry Ibis. I'm sure we'd all get a laugh out of those.

You show us the post where "the right fielder not knowing where to throw the ball" was blamed on scholarship limits.

I'll wait.

Now, if we missed on getting a BETTER right fielder because his family couldn't pay an extra $60K per year to send him to Miami over Florida, that might actually be a fair cause-and-effect type of explanation.

Advertisement
What a dopey post.

As if the definition of "fans who care about winning" is "non-stop negativity" or "the inability to recognize a rule-change that will benefit Miami".

"Winning isn't important". "Lowering expectations". Go **** off with that nonsense.

For well over a decade, I have spoken out against a rule that is both inherently unfair to student-athletes AND has created an ever-widening gap between private school and public school athletic departments. This rule has contributed to the struggles of ALL private school baseball programs, not just Miami.

YOU and your mopey friends characterize this important scholarship issue as "excuses". That is just pathetic.

Expectations should be high. Winning is paramount. That doesn't mean everything will be fixed in one season by one hire or one recruiting class.

Separately, I will enjoy the milkshake named for my former college roommate.

It is possible to enjoy a day at the game while hating losing. I just went to the Cardinals-Braves doubleheader on Saturday. They split the games.

Have a drink. Get laid. Touch grass. You don't have to express negativity and hate 24-7-365. Feel free to snapshot any of those upbeat, optimistic posts by Angry Ibis. I'm sure we'd all get a laugh out of those.

Everyone acknowledged it is a positive rule change for Miami. It is also disingenuous of you (stunning) to act like posters did not use it as an excuse or crutch to explain why the program did not reach certain expectations when in real time it was only ancillary at best as to why the given season fell short.

More wins. More positivity around the program. Most of us will take even the minor indication that the program is improving. The JD hire called that into question for some - rightfully so…

Everyone acknowledged it is a positive rule change for Miami. It is also disingenuous of you (stunning) to act like posters did not use it as an excuse or crutch to explain why the program did not reach certain expectations when in real time it was only ancillary at best as to why the given season fell short.

More wins. More positivity around the program. Most of us will take even the minor indication that the program is improving. The JD hire called that into question for some - rightfully so…

Uh, no. "Everyone" did NOT "acknowledge it is a positive rule change for Miami". You didn't. You didn't say anything about it except this:

1722013612035.webp

That's not an "acknowledgement of a positive rule change for Miami", that's another one of 20,000 Angry Ibis posts complaining about "insiders" and "the excuse caboose".

And it's pretty disingenuous for the King of Disingenuity to accuse someone else of being disingenuous. Nobody has used fractional scholarships as an "excuse" or a "crutch". That's a flat-out lie.

And if the search function was fixed, you could go back YEARS to find posts of mine that addressed scholarship issues in UM sports (not including football and basketball). You, and porsters like Wander Franco, are the guys who turn discussions into "excuses" and "crutches".

I do have to admit, I am still laughing at your artful use of phrases. Like "Most of us will take even the minor indication that the program is improving." Seriously, I'm laughing as I type.

Sure, "most of us". NOT YOU, of course. But "most of us".

Hilarious! Honestly, I mean that as a compliment. "Most of us" was a stroke of comedic genius.

Uh, no. "Everyone" did NOT "acknowledge it is a positive rule change for Miami". You didn't. You didn't say anything about it except this:

View attachment 296143

That's not an "acknowledgement of a positive rule change for Miami", that's another one of 20,000 Angry Ibis posts complaining about "insiders" and "the excuse caboose".

And it's pretty disingenuous for the King of Disingenuity to accuse someone else of being disingenuous. Nobody has used fractional scholarships as an "excuse" or a "crutch". That's a flat-out lie.

And if the search function was fixed, you could go back YEARS to find posts of mine that addressed scholarship issues in UM sports (not including football and basketball). You, and porsters like Wander Franco, are the guys who turn discussions into "excuses" and "crutches".

I do have to admit, I am still laughing at your artful use of phrases. Like "Most of us will take even the minor indication that the program is improving." Seriously, I'm laughing as I type.

Sure, "most of us". NOT YOU, of course. But "most of us".

Hilarious! Honestly, I mean that as a compliment. "Most of us" was a stroke of comedic genius.
I am glad you are lightening up. You spend a tremendous amount of time focusing on negativity when there is so much positivity in baseball right now to balance you out... there was a no-hitter, a cane got a job extension, it is the trade deadline, canes got drafted or signed, but you want to focus on peacocking about being right about something to get some weird board cred...

The scholarship balance is clearly a positive for Miami. It remvoes a barrier to success. What we need as a program is to remove the self-induced barriers... Fairly straightforward without the peacock dance in any direction...

Advertisement
I am glad you are lightening up. You spend a tremendous amount of time focusing on negativity when there is so much positivity in baseball right now to balance you out... there was a no-hitter, a cane got a job extension, it is the trade deadline, canes got drafted or signed, but you want to focus on peacocking about being right about something to get some weird board cred...

The scholarship balance is clearly a positive for Miami. It remvoes a barrier to success. What we need as a program is to remove the self-induced barriers... Fairly straightforward without the peacock dance in any direction...

Ah, yes, the non-denial denial.

Sure, you are excited about a (non-Miami) no-hitter, a (non-Miami) trade deadline, and "Canes getting drafted" (which, of course, hurts Miami). Got it. You're all about that positivity now, sure. Can't be bothered to POST anything positive, but you feel it in your plums, right?

And it's always funny to see you distort the timeline. I start criticizing YOUR "excuse caboose" comment (Post #21 above), and suddenly I'm the guy who started "peacocking". Hilarious.

I am glad you are finally acknowledging that the scholarship limitations WERE a barrier to success that needed to be removed. Maybe you can convince Wander Franco of that too, though you are apparently making no efforts to do so.

You have all kinds of great ideas and a positive outlook, but you refuse to share them with anyone. Selfish, I guess.

Ah, yes, the non-denial denial.

Sure, you are excited about a (non-Miami) no-hitter, a (non-Miami) trade deadline, and "Canes getting drafted" (which, of course, hurts Miami). Got it. You're all about that positivity now, sure. Can't be bothered to POST anything positive, but you feel it in your plums, right?

And it's always funny to see you distort the timeline. I start criticizing YOUR "excuse caboose" comment (Post #21 above), and suddenly I'm the guy who started "peacocking". Hilarious.

I am glad you are finally acknowledging that the scholarship limitations WERE a barrier to success that needed to be removed. Maybe you can convince Wander Franco of that too, though you are apparently making no efforts to do so.

You have all kinds of great ideas and a positive outlook, but you refuse to share them with anyone. Selfish, I guess.

Wander has a long history of speaking for himself…

The baseball program sucks right now. Doesn’t mean I’m not rooting for it, but there is also not a lot of overall positivity.

I’m glad the recruits and transfers joined the program, but the talent stocking is not elite level, coaching not even average, hiring atrocious - so if that’s the high level, aggressive, innovative approach to the program, I’m a little sad about where we are…

But the milkshakes are delicious.

Wander has a long history of speaking for himself…

The baseball program sucks right now. Doesn’t mean I’m not rooting for it, but there is also not a lot of overall positivity.

I’m glad the recruits and transfers joined the program, but the talent stocking is not elite level, coaching not even average, hiring atrocious - so if that’s the high level, aggressive, innovative approach to the program, I’m a little sad about where we are…

But the milkshakes are delicious.

Sure, Wander can speak for himself, but you felt compelled to agree with him? Maybe you could speak for yourself and disagree with him.

It is funny how you've chosen to distort what @DMoney said though, when he said UM was taking an innovative and aggressive approach TO THE TRANSFER PORTAL. Somehow you've transformed one of @DMoney 's specific comments about one element of the program into an epitaph for the entire "program", which is not what he actually said.

We weren't losing because of some mythical "barrier to success". We just had our entire starting rotation drafted in a year where we went 27-30. We've had top 5 recruiting classes. But now we can't even make it to a regional, and when we do, we lose in the regional.

Advertisement
Back