NCAA Settlement and Baseball Scholarships

We weren't losing because of some mythical "barrier to success". We just had our entire starting rotation drafted in a year where we went 27-30. We've had top 5 recruiting classes. But now we can't even make it to a regional, and when we do, we lose in the regional.
I'm only 2-3years new to the baseball board on a fanatical basis, but I'm pretty sure you same dudes been arguing the same **** topics for 10years.. Why can't it be All of the Above??? We WERE at a disadvantage scholarship wise vs. state schools... We have stunk at development... We seem to not get players that are DAWGS, and only get showcase studs..... We do make the laziest hires ever... We are behind in facilities and tech... Both your sides and the on field results have sold me on ALL of the points being true.....

Advertisement
I do have to admit, I am still laughing at your artful use of phrases. Like "Most of us will take even the minor indication that the program is improving." Seriously, I'm laughing as I type.

Sure, "most of us". NOT YOU, of course. But "most of us".

Hilarious! Honestly, I mean that as a compliment. "Most of us" was a stroke of comedic genius.

I'm not sure what is wrong with his statement. It is a fact that "most of us" would like even a minor indication that the program is improving. That is a factual statement. After missing the post-season, we just lost our pitching staff and best hitter. An indication of improvement would be most welcome.

I'm only 2-3years new to the baseball board on a fanatical basis, but I'm pretty sure you same dudes been arguing the same **** topics for 10years.. Why can't it be All of the Above??? We WERE at a disadvantage scholarship wise vs. state schools... We have stunk at development... We seem to not get players that are DAWGS, and only get showcase studs..... We do make the laziest hires ever... We are behind in facilities and tech... Both your sides and the on field results have sold me on ALL of the points being true.....

I've said for years that the scholarship limitation was simply an obstacle that could be overcome with hard work. There are well more than 35 baseball players in America who can play at an elite level AND who can afford UM with any combination of athletic money, academic money, and dad's money. Baseball isn't a poor man's sport. But instead of grinding on the recruiting trail to find those guys, we settled for the local showcase heroes. It was lazy recruiting.

Here's the difference.

Those of us who have pointed out the issues with partial scholarships ALSO acknowledge lazy hires and facilities/tech. I came on here 2 years ago and said I was bothered with Radakovich said that we didn't need to spend any money on improving the baseball stadium.

But that's different from the "high baseball IQ" morons who claim that any discussion of scholarship disparities is "an excuse".

Miami has a lot of problems. I'll have an open conversation about ANY of the challenges that Miami faces. The same cannot be said for certain other posters.

Here's the difference.

Those of us who have pointed out the issues with partial scholarships ALSO acknowledge lazy hires and facilities/tech. I came on here 2 years ago and said I was bothered with Radakovich said that we didn't need to spend any money on improving the baseball stadium.

But that's different from the "high baseball IQ" morons who claim that any discussion of scholarship disparities is "an excuse".

Miami has a lot of problems. I'll have an open conversation about ANY of the challenges that Miami faces. The same cannot be said for certain other posters.

It is an excuse. The talent was in the program. We just didn't know what to do with it.

Advertisement
I've said for years that the scholarship limitation was simply an obstacle that could be overcome with hard work. There are well more than 35 baseball players in America who can play at an elite level AND who can afford UM with any combination of athletic money, academic money, and dad's money. Baseball isn't a poor man's sport. But instead of grinding on the recruiting trail to find those guys, we settled for the local showcase heroes. It was lazy recruiting.

It's not about "35 guys". It's about EVERY SINGLE private college/university having to compete for the same sliver of the recruiting pool, rich kids whose parents can afford to pay for increasingly expensive private college/university tuition.

"Grinding it out". Yeah, that's what we needed, to just "grind it out". Some cliched phrase that you can't even define.

What a load of crap. We should just be "grinding it out" at every prep school in America (with those huge college baseball recruiting budgets) in order to sign every rich kid in America....

When are you going to acknowledge that this isn't just a problem for ONE university?

USC is one of the all-time college baseball bluebloods. Do they just need to "grind it out" more?

Ridiculous.

I'm not sure what is wrong with his statement. It is a fact that "most of us" would like even a minor indication that the program is improving. That is a factual statement. After missing the post-season, we just lost our pitching staff and best hitter. An indication of improvement would be most welcome.

The statement was just self-serving garbage. I criticized HIS non-stop negativity, and then he cited "most of us" as if that could justify the fact that he couldn't possibly include himself in that "most of us" group.

It was disingenuous.

It's not about "35 guys". It's about EVERY SINGLE private college/university having to compete for the same sliver of the recruiting pool, rich kids whose parents can afford to pay for increasingly expensive private college/university tuition.

"Grinding it out". Yeah, that's what we needed, to just "grind it out". Some cliched phrase that you can't even define.

What a load of crap. We should just be "grinding it out" at every prep school in America (with those huge college baseball recruiting budgets) in order to sign every rich kid in America....

When are you going to acknowledge that this isn't just a problem for ONE university?

USC is one of the all-time college baseball bluebloods. Do they just need to "grind it out" more?

Ridiculous.

Every prep school? Every rich kid? If you need to use hyperbole to exaggerate what I wrote, then you either don't understand or don't really disagree with it. Try to stick with what I actually write, k?

Contacting the south Florida travel ball programs to see who they recommend, while heading up to Jupiter for a weekend, is the opposite of grinding it out. Gino was an arrogant recruiter. He expected players to contact us if they weren't in south Florida.

USC has ignored baseball. You're not even trying if you hire Frank Cruz and Dan Hubbs.

Every prep school? Every rich kid? If you need to use hyperbole to exaggerate what I wrote, then you either don't understand or don't really disagree with it. Try to stick with what I actually write, k?

Contacting the south Florida travel ball programs to see who they recommend, while heading up to Jupiter for a weekend, is the opposite of grinding it out. Gino was an arrogant recruiter. He expected players to contact us if they weren't in south Florida.

USC has ignored baseball. You're not even trying if you hire Frank Cruz and Dan Hubbs.

It's not hyperbole. You have a bunch of private universities that are stuck recruiting the same fractional pool of players who can afford to pay for the rest of the tuition that baseball doesn't cover. That's a fact.

And your arguments are self-contradictory anyhow. On one hand, you tell us that Gino was an arrogant/lazy recruiter (and I'm not really disagreeing), and on the other hand you tell us we had plenty of talent to win. You can't have it both ways.

Besides, DiMare didn't take over until 2019. As if all of our problems started IN 2019. Which they didn't. We had been in decline for longer than just the past 5 years.

As for "Frank Cruz and Dan Hubbs"...just like your ridiculous "DiMare" comments, the USC decline began LONG before Frank Cruz took the reins. USC's last national championship was in 1995, their last CWS appearance was in 2001, and their last conference championship was 2002. But, yeah, "Frank Cruz and his 2-season era".

Ridiculous.

Advertisement
It's not hyperbole. You have a bunch of private universities that are stuck recruiting the same fractional pool of players who can afford to pay for the rest of the tuition that baseball doesn't cover. That's a fact.

And your arguments are self-contradictory anyhow. On one hand, you tell us that Gino was an arrogant/lazy recruiter (and I'm not really disagreeing), and on the other hand you tell us we had plenty of talent to win. You can't have it both ways.

Besides, DiMare didn't take over until 2019. As if all of our problems started IN 2019. Which they didn't. We had been in decline for longer than just the past 5 years.

As for "Frank Cruz and Dan Hubbs"...just like your ridiculous "DiMare" comments, the USC decline began LONG before Frank Cruz took the reins. USC's last national championship was in 1995, their last CWS appearance was in 2001, and their last conference championship was 2002. But, yeah, "Frank Cruz and his 2-season era".

Ridiculous.

We had enough talent to do better than "Regional Loss" in each of his four years. No contradiction there.

The problems did start much earlier.....when Jim retired without retiring and Gino was in charge of the recruiting and the hitting.

Not sure why you're stuck on USC, whose athletics have been a mess for years. I can just as easily come back with any number of successful programs that convince kids to pay private or out-of-state tuition.

There is no excuse not to win with the new rules. Anyone that doesn't think 11.7 scholie limit wasn't a huge disadvantage to private schools is being disingenuous,

Advertisement
You captured the overall reality. Wander has captured the reality that live, in real time, when we were blowing games, playing like ****, making earlier exits than the talent dictated, the scholarship inequity was ancillary to it -- ie: we had the talent, it was on Miami, we just did not win...

And then the great thread derail... claiming all sorts of weird ****

Win games. Run a competent program. Happier fans. But to think there are posters here on this board that have posted for many years, through **** seasons, and still post here, on a college BASEBALL board are not rooting for the program to succeed is message board ****ery.

Here's the difference.

I think Rad saying that about Baseball ruins any chance we have of having a good program under him

We had enough talent to do better than "Regional Loss" in each of his four years. No contradiction there.

The problems did start much earlier.....when Jim retired without retiring and Gino was in charge of the recruiting and the hitting.

Not sure why you're stuck on USC, whose athletics have been a mess for years. I can just as easily come back with any number of successful programs that convince kids to pay private or out-of-state tuition.
Gino's pitching decisions and in game decisions did a lot to cost us games and regionals. jd's teams don't look very talented that's the difference. I think besides being an arrogant recruiter recruiting and Baseball is a little bit weird because there are no battles it's not like football and basketball so it makes for a very different dynamic when it comes to a coaches persuasion

Advertisement
You captured the overall reality. Wander has captured the reality that live, in real time, when we were blowing games, playing like ****, making earlier exits than the talent dictated, the scholarship inequity was ancillary to it -- ie: we had the talent, it was on Miami, we just did not win...

And then the great thread derail... claiming all sorts of weird ****

Win games. Run a competent program. Happier fans. But to think there are posters here on this board that have posted for many years, through **** seasons, and still post here, on a college BASEBALL board are not rooting for the program to succeed is message board ****ery.

More disingenuous bull****.

More disingenuous bull****.

But continue your nonsense painting that we hate Miami baseball because we hate losing and the decline of the program.

I'd be surprised if UM offers a full 34 in baseball. I have heard that Radakovich is reluctant go that high and JD is already having to fight him to bend on that.

Probably because it's a former player telling me and he's emotional about it but he says Rad is 100% ok to let baseball die off a slow death and basically just exist. Hard to argue that after he hired JD to begin with.

I think we'll keep ourselves behind the 8 ball there and max out around 25... but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe progressively over time they get to 34.

As I mentioned in another thread... Rad spoke to this in the press conference yesterday. Baseball likely doesn't get to 34 right away and they're working to figure out if they ever take full advantage of that and how they pay for the costs of additional scholarships.

Last I had heard is JD was made clearly aware that 34 likely isn't gonna happen for a while. He's not happy about it but it is what it is. Sounds like they're going to double it either over the next 3 years or right away for 3 years... it wasn't clearly explained to me... and then tentative plan is to go up 1 at a time after that as long as they can handle it.

Makes me wonder what it would look like if JD were to get fired. Probably not getting a good HC to come here handcuffed on scholarships compared to the SEC who will all take full advantage from day 1.

Advertisement
Back