NCAA Settlement and Baseball Scholarships

CreativeCane

Team Mascot
Premium
SIAP, mentioned it in the thread on the football board, but this article has a nice little nugget that could be huge for our baseball program:

As part of the settlement, scholarship caps are eliminated and new roster limits will be implemented. Schools are now permitted to put on scholarship every member of a roster as long as they stay within a newly set roster limit.

For many other sports, the scholarship expansion is good news. For instance, the NCAA maximum number of scholarships for a baseball team is 11.7 spread over 32 players. If baseball’s roster remains the same (32), then schools would be permitted to put all 32 players on scholarship.

Advertisement
SIAP, mentioned it in the thread on the football board, but this article has a nice little nugget that could be huge for our baseball program:

As part of the settlement, scholarship caps are eliminated and new roster limits will be implemented. Schools are now permitted to put on scholarship every member of a roster as long as they stay within a newly set roster limit.

For many other sports, the scholarship expansion is good news. For instance, the NCAA maximum number of scholarships for a baseball team is 11.7 spread over 32 players. If baseball’s roster remains the same (32), then schools would be permitted to put all 32 players on scholarship.

Watch the NCAA lower the max number of players on a roster to low-mid 20s. I understand the optimism but this won't play out as you think it will.
Plus, this program needs a new hc.

Watch the NCAA lower the max number of players on a roster to low-mid 20s. I understand the optimism but this won't play out as you think it will.
Plus, this program needs a new hc.
Considering we've only recently bumped up from carrying 33 players most years to the max cap of 35, I don't think a lower roster limit would be bad for us either (in the abstract).

You could have some very thin teams come the end of the season if you do though. Not like you can call up healthy players from the minors.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think it will be 32-34. NCAA is at the point where they barely care. I think they know college baseball fans are sick of scholarship and roster limits as well as paid coaches. They will think by adding all this it will add more teams into the mix. But we already know that NIL has now created a tier one of about 8-12 schools who are all in and then another 15-20 that are kind of in on tier two.

I'm more interested to see how the portal plays out the next few years. Right now there are thousands of kids who were told to leave or left a school looking for a better situation only to realize there wasnt one. Its probably going to help D2/D3 get even better (especially the lower cost state schools).

Advertisement
Advertisement
More from Kendall Rogers

Notable: Sources believe that almost all of the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 institutions will fund the full number of scholarships in baseball.

About time, only took them 50+ years.

Advertisement
More from Kendall Rogers

Notable: Sources believe that almost all of the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 institutions will fund the full number of scholarships in baseball.

Interesting that Big 10 is not mentioned.

Interesting that Big 10 is not mentioned.
Here's what the article stated, ..."There’s more uncertainty on where the majority of the Big Ten stands on this issue, while the Sun Belt, one of the rising power conferences in college baseball, is a league that is expected to do all it can to offer the amount needed to compete against the SEC and ACC."

Advertisement
Back