Most talented RB/WR/TE group in the ACC for 2022?

I was looking through some projected ACC depth charts and began to wonder if our 2022 projected offense includes the best RB/WR/TE group in the ACC. And, who on our schedule is well-suited to slow them down.

We already have the ACC's likely best QB.

RB: Adding Parrish and Citizen make our RB room as deep as almost any program in the country. It's as complementary a unit as you can have, too. Speed, some power, pass catching, and lots of hungry players.

Our WR room may lack that supposed clear-cut #1, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that George, Smith or Brinson grow into high volume targets. Taken from a well-constructed post in the depth chart thread, this is what we're looking at for WR/TE:

WR: Brinson - Ladson - Redding
WR: K. Smith - George – Horton
WR: Restropo - B. Smith
TE: Mallory - Arroyo - Skinner

How many ACC teams have guys like Arroyo (maybe, if not Mallory), George, and B Smith on their second units?

Obviously, the success of the skill positions and QB partly rely on the success of our OL and playcalling. But, talent for talent, we're a leap at WR away from being the best in the ACC already by this season.

Maybe some of you with deeper knowledge of ACC units can chime in and compare.

We just don't have that one burner that can straight run past everyone on the field. With the changes to the game (targeting) we should be looking for those smurfs that zoom.

Advertisement
Virginia should have a potent Offense but they’re cheeks on D. Same with Pitt. Clemson will be the best team talent wise we play in ACC. Everyone else shouldn’t give us an issue. No idea who’s behind Howell at UNC but Downs is nice.

A lot will depend on the offensive system they’re in.

I think the RB’s & TE’s will be the primary focus of the offense going forward & will have the most productivity.

As far as most talented in the conference, we’re in the top 3. Clemson & UNC are still recruiting at a high level.
Miami ranked ahead of UNC in the last 5 years except for 2020 with our terrible record and Manny Diaz coaching and recruiting for us.
Your point is valid though.

2021.png
2020.png
2019.png
2018.png
2017.png

Advertisement
So, you don't think he has enough film to get drafted? I do. I also think he can improve blocking.
first, he had a lot of drops early. second, when he actually tried to block, his blocking is a D- to F, third, he failed to recognize/pick up a half a dozen blitzes last year while said blitzes were his assignment.

his film is littered with super athletic catches interwoven with mind boggling drops and whiffs. there is a reason he came back, his draft grade must have read UDFA. i hope he improves, loved him since day one. hopefully this is the year he improves and shines, but i'm not hopefully because his position coach (field) doesn't seem to engage much with him during the game.

based simply on recruiting rankings we absolutely should have no worst than the second most talented group of skill position players in the ACC. but realistically we have major unanswered questions at WR due to youth, consistency questions at TE, and reliability and consistency questions at RB. would love to look back at this thread in December and feel like the answer is definitively "yes" because it certainly is on the table

Our WR talent is better than 99% of CFB as well. The word unproven doesn’t apply, they have experience making impact plays as a group even without Rambo. I expect more than 2 to emerge as star level WRs before their cfb careers over.

We’re more talented at skill spots than anyone else in the conference besides Clemson. And they’re playing with a hand tied behind their back because their quarterback sucks balls.

Everything depends on who calls plays next year. If we continue with using the pass to set up the run, we’ll be one of the best offenses in college football. If we have some “establish the run no matter what” OC, we will be mediocre.

Advertisement
I would say Virginia with Billy Kemp, Dontayvion Wicks, and Keytaon Thompson have us topped at WR easily. The 3 of them combined for basically 3,000 yards this year

Kemp is STILL there?! I could have sworn that dude has been there 6 years.

It's been more frustrating seeing him not get the ball when he has been open. Now I don't need our TE getting 10 catches a game, but it does frustrate me that he often seems to get forgotten on the field. He's a matchup nightmare, and we haven't taken advantage of that, yet. Maybe with the O actually clicking on all cylinders we'll see his full potential.

Now, who the **** is calling plays next year?

This is why I was always critical of Lashlee’s passing attack and teaching of passing concepts.

King and TVD were both very good at going through their progressions and reading the entire field. Too often the route concepts gave them nowhere to go with the ball when they had eyes on a particular receiver in the progression. Often when a guy would actually be open, the progression had the quarterback looking in a different direction. When this happened too often, King would take off and run trying to create offense. TVD would throw it away or force one for an incompletion. We got the backs more involved as the season went on and it helped us move the ball as the season went on.

The quarterback gurus are really good at teaching their guys who will be open on a particular play so they don’t miss open receivers because of the progression. I didn’t see as much of that under Lashlee as I wanted. We made too many random play calls for the sake of tempo.

TVD is a stud. I want him taught how to completely breakdown a defense and I want him given the freedom to adjust plays and routes at the line. Give him the right teacher and Mallory will be one of several receivers to have huge numbers in 2022.

Advertisement
I agree with this premise. We are talented, but it's really more of an indictment of the ACC. But, this is why there is no reason why the Canes shouldn't win the Coastal and seriously challenge for the whole ACC.

Everyone drones on about how we need to be realistic in Mario's first year, but I think they are not looking at who we have and who the ACC has.

I would also add, who in the ACC will have a better DC than the Canes? Now that Dabo's boy is at OK, there's no one who. will come in with a better DC than Steele.

OP, you are correct and I raise you a 1st or 2nd best team in the ACC!
If our DC puts our guys in positions to win battles and the offense doesn't regress, we're at least the second best team in the ACC. That said, sh*t happens, and it's tough to beat slightly inferior teams all the time. I think we're #2 in talent and potential, but wouldn't be surprised to see us finish lower.

Clemson likes their RB room a lot. Shipley, Pace, and Mafa. Their WRs stayed injured last year, and even though I don't see a round 1 STUD like years past, they have some good talent there. They just signed 2 they really like too.

Piitaburgh has a solid RB group and the best WR group in ACC.
Clemson ribs are some sh-t..that Shipley rb is stiff as Brian Kelly.

Clemson might have played for the chip if there offense wasnt so sh-tty. They could've beaten uga early in the szn..but their qb is so slow processing, and they dont threaten anything downfield in their gimmick offense

Pitt and Va are challengers.

Advertisement
I love how when it comes to Miami people around here are like it all depends on the new coach, OC and OL blah, blah , blah.

When it comes to Virginia people are like They are going to be awesome no doubt!

Last edited:
Crazy that Virginia’s trio were rated at Wicks (88th) Kemp (285th) and Thompson was a QB transfer from Miss St that moved to WR.

RB and TE, yes, especially with Mallory returning (I know he doesn’t block well).
We have easily the best RB room in the conference
WR is the question mark because Rambo and Harley had such tremendous production and made some very contested catches. After KJ Osborne left we saw a major drop off in production. Hopefully guys like Smith, X Brinson and George can collectively fill the production gap, but this is the big question mark.

I think we are up there in talent but there are question marks.

TVD is a top 3 QB in the conference

Fingers crossed this year the RB room can stay healthy with no significant injuries. Should have a 1K yard back this year. Won’t be shocked to see someone leave after the spring.

WR’s are all pretty unproven but talented. Need two of them to step up and play significant roles. Can’t have a bunch of guys who just flash occasionally.

Advertisement
Back