Mesidor’s impact

View as article
To me just thinking off the top of my head he’s a blend of Aaron Donald, Dwight Freeney, with the motor of JJ Watt, and the potential of Reggie White. Just thinking out loud
JFC.

Why not add Reggie White as well?

Advertisement
According WVU 247. Tampering by Addae and Cristobal.

Whether that is true or not? No idea.

But it does feel good to be the bad guys again.

Nah. Even that article from the Huntington WV newspaper was honest enough to mention that he played out of his normal position last year, and wasn't happy about it.

If Leonard Taylor had this kid's polish, motor, and awareness, he'd be unstoppable.

A true freshman year and a spring does not make or break a career, but I am incredibly nervous about 56. You sign a kid like that in hopes of and borderline expectation that he's a first-round pick. I've seen very, very little that could even hint towards that through a year here.

Hopefully Mesidor can push him, because it's time to go. If you're that dude, it's time to start putting linemen on your highlight tape.

As far as Mesidor, I agree 100% that this is clearly the best kid we've got out of the portal so far and is a Day 1 impact starter. The front 7 is miles ahead of any other concern I have with this team, and we just got a lot better there by adding this kid. Still a LONG way to go to be a formidable defense, but this kid made us a better team, no doubt.

Advertisement
If Leonard Taylor had this kid's polish, motor, and awareness, he'd be unstoppable.

A true freshman year and a spring does not make or break a career, but I am incredibly nervous about 56. You sign a kid like that in hopes and borderline expectation that he's a first-round pick. I've seen very, very little that could even hint towards that through a year here.

Hopefully Mesidor can push him, because it's time to go. If you're that dude, it's time to start putting linemen on your highlight tape.

As far as Mesidor, I agree 100% that this is clearly the best kid we've got out of the portal so far and is a Day 1 impact starter. The front 7 is miles ahead of any other concern I have with this team, and we just got a lot better there by adding this kid. Still a LONG way to go to be a formidable defense, but this kid made us a better team, no doubt.
You’re going to get killed on here but I completely agree with everything you said.

I’ll take this one. Donald is nice but he really didn’t show up until the pros. I think Mesidor will have a similar if not better CFB career.

I'ma have to call you out on this one. Donald for some reason didn't really take over the game against Miami...but we had a pretty physical offensive line those days... Regardless, his last year playing he earned;
ACC Defensive POTY, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy, Bednarik Award (National Def. POTY), the Nagurski Trophy (Another National Def. POTY), and of course was an Unanimous All-American. As far as recent history, he earned more single year recognition than Will Anderson just did.

Donald had 2 sacks compared to Mesidor (5) for their freshman years, but then had 11 (4.5 for Mesidor) as a Sophomore.

Advertisement
I'ma have to call you out on this one. Donald for some reason didn't really take over the game against Miami...but we had a pretty physical offensive line those days... Regardless, his last year playing he earned;
ACC Defensive POTY, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy, Bednarik Award (National Def. POTY), the Nagurski Trophy (Another National Def. POTY), and of course was an Unanimous All-American. As far as recent history, he earned more single year recognition than Will Anderson just did.

Donald had 2 sacks compared to Mesidor (5) for their freshman years, but then had 11 (4.5 for Mesidor) as a Sophomore.
I admire you for this, but I was 100% joking.

I admire you for this, but I was 100% joking.
alligator attacking GIF

Advertisement
Why is he leaving WVU?

NIL?
These kids want their piece of the pie. Especially the kids who weren’t highly recruited but have turned into good players at their current program . Either give me a reason to stay or I’m testing the Nil waters. It’s their chance at free agency. It also gives them negotiating power.

The key for Taylor is consistency. He will get TFLs by accident but he can’t be getting washed every other play.

This is by far Taylor's biggest challenge and area to grow. He's way too boom or bust, and those busts are problematic. I was very frustrated that Manny and Jess just let him loose and didn't coach him up last season. They were most likely scared he'd portal out. Then, in the spring game, I saw him get manhandled at times, especially by Sagapolu.

Right now, LT is not playing at a level we need for a starting DT, he would be a backup on any decent Miami lineup. The kid clearly has 5-star potential, but he is not showing it with consistency. He honestly needs another year of S&C and good coaching, but he doesn't want to wait and we don't have the luxury to wait. So LT has no choice but to take that next step for us this season. I love the fact he's going to be pushed like crazy by the competition to do so.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Messidor has the energy and grit we've been lacking. Kid has that that Anthony Chickillo motor. Never stops. Like Chick they played him out of position and he was constantly being doubled.

Wish he was a better finisher. He left a lot of “almost” plays in the backfield.

Difference in him being a great player and merely a good player is finding a way to finish at a higher rate.
^^ Stuck out to me, as well.

But he has a great motor and is strong enough at the point of attack - he was regularly holding his own, strength-wise, vs those interior DLmen.

Has active hands too. We don't see active hands enough at Miami.

Exactly he brings it every down with very high production, Antrell Rolle said it best you better bring it every play because you don't want to get off the field because the guy behind you might be better
he did say that, but regrettably that isn't the case right now in many positions on D.

I can agree with this, but with better play around him, being pushed hard and better coached he will take a big step forward. He'll be the DT we all thought he would be.
i this kid is a somewhat of a diva and needs to be kicked in the ballz a bit or maybe a lot depending on his level of divaness. he said something during an interview that made me pause, i'll find it and post it. plus last year's rumbling about him transferring when he just got here, no bueno.

Advertisement
Back