Mesidor’s impact

Advertisement
i this kid is a somewhat of a diva and needs to be kicked in the ballz a bit or maybe a lot depending on his level of divaness. he said something during an interview that made me pause, i'll find it and post it. plus last year's rumbling about him transferring when he just got here, no bueno.
i don't want to nitpik a very young kid's interview [BUT i WILL, HA!] but this small segment of Taylor's interview [@2:00] bothered me a bit. when asked about his goals, there were many answers he could have given but he chose "put my name out there more than what it is now". que?

these interviews are windows that reveal players' attitudes, ambition and thinking and it was a little too selfish for me. not reading too much into it and maybe it was nerves or whatever.

Swiss army knife. Put him at the edge on early downs, slide him inside on obvious passing downs.

The defense got a lot better pulling him in. Love it.

I actually think it should be the opposite.

He was surprisingly stout in the middle. As Taylor develops, he can really shore up the run defense at 3T playing next to Miller and Haye. Put him outside on passing downs and we will be able to rotate Harvey, Davis, and Moss.

He adds a lot of versatility moving him around. Takes pressure of Harvey in the run game and allows Taylor, Davis and Moss to develop.

Advertisement
I actually think it should be the opposite.

He was surprisingly stout in the middle. As Taylor develops, he can really shore up the run defense at 3T playing next to Miller and Haye. Put him outside on passing downs and we will be able to rotate Harvey, Davis, and Moss.

He adds a lot of versatility moving him around. Takes pressure of Harvey in the run game and allows Taylor, Davis and Moss to develop.

That's good point, but he was inside against the spread Big 12 offenses. Think the size in the trenches lining up against ACC teams would lead him to some problems.

That's good point, but he was inside against the spread Big 12 offenses. Think the size in the trenches lining up against ACC teams would lead him to some problems.

He held up pretty well against Oklahoma’s run game playing NOSE.

I think he can manage the 3T role.

The Oklahoma guard, Haynes is going third round most likely. He’s 325 pounds and a mauler.

He isn’t going to be seeing better guards in the ACC than he saw against Oklahoma.

Advertisement
I have high hopes for LT but It’s going to take more than 15 practices to get out of bad habits that he had in High school and last year. He’s actually being asked to hold up a lineman and stop the run for the first time in his life that takes time to get use to. He needs a good summer in the weight room and it would help him a lot to have a big bodied DT next to him.

Bring in the ballers and exile the JAGS. Get all
these mediocre *** manny Diaz players out of here.

Disruption is production.

This dude just disrupts plays. He's all over. You can see him in some of his film him just chasing down screens, and backside hustle on misdirections, and just keeping the QB moving and getting them uncomfortable.

He's also an Academic All-American for the past two years...this is the type of guy that will come down here and be a leader on and off the field for this defense, especially in the iDL/EDGE room. His work on the field and off will help guys like Leonard Taylor and JHH get to that next level, IMO.

Big time get, not much else needs to be said.

I will disagree with DMoney...you'd be hard pressed to convince me that Leonard Taylor isn't the most talented and is the best player on the DL any time he's in...even if he doesn't know what he's doing all of the time and is a bull in a china shop he's still productive. If he has some standards like Mesidor on the line that just reign him in and set a standard and he takes to the coaching, Taylor is just a monster, IMO. Way too talented to keep off the field. I am hoping for a massive Gerald McCoy type jump to Year 2 from him and having linemates like Mesidor and the vets like Moultrie, Agunde, and definitely not Scott Patchan facilitate that.

Leonard Taylor had 21 tackles, 8.5 for a loss (IN ONLY 6 GAMES!!!) and 2 sacks.
Gerald McCoy had 19 tackles, 6.5 for a loss and 2 sacks in his freshman year as the Big XII Defensive Freshman of the Year

The next year McCoy was 30 tackles, 11 for a loss, and 6.5 sacks and was First Team All-Big XII and First Team ALL AMERICAN.
Excellent post. I'm in complete agreement and as such have nothing much to add except for this little ditty below. When I started reading your post I was immediately reminded of the Conjunction Junction song we used to watch as kids.

Disruption/ruption is production!
Blowing up traps and screens and counters.

Disruption/ruption how's that production?
I've got the rip, the swim and bull to get the job done.

Last edited:
So does this mean FSU didn’t want him, since apparently cristobal hasn’t beaten norvell for any portal players that he wanted.

Advertisement
i don't want to nitpik a very young kid's interview [BUT i WILL, HA!] but this small segment of Taylor's interview [@2:00] bothered me a bit. when asked about his goals, there were many answers he could have given but he chose "put my name out there more than what it is now". que?

these interviews are windows that reveal players' attitudes, ambition and thinking and it was a little too selfish for me. not reading too much into it and maybe it was nerves or whatever.

\

I think you may be reading a bit too much into it, but it would have been nice to hear him say as long as the team wins I will contribute in any way.

That said, I will never criticized a player eager to get more playing time. Especially one with his potential.

A few people on our coaching staff (including Steele) have indicated that they love players who love football and he certainly fits the bill.

Advertisement
Their run game is pretty tough though. Lots of pulling big bodies.
They definitely diversified their run game to adjust to their personnel. They ran some really cool lead RPO's, where the QB ran the ball and the RB would lead after the play fake. They ran stick-nod with a lead to get QB run involved for Jalen Hurts and Kyler Murray as well.

Honestly, Riley is an offensive genius and ran a ton of plays that I would try and steal.

LT comes off as immature in the video. Now he is young so he probably is immature.

Advertisement
Back