Mesidor’s impact

Advertisement
Advertisement
Once it went public that Akheem Mesidor committed to Miami, I went back and watched three games from last year (Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Maryland) and the Ok State game from his freshman year.

The big takeaway- Mesidor is the best player on our defense from Day 1. That doesn’t mean he’s the most talented, or that he will be the best by the end of the season. It would be ideal if a guy like Leonard Taylor or one of the safeties made the leap. But Mesidor’s film in 2020-2021 is better than anything we’ve seen from our current roster. Just watch him against OU (link below). At times, he looked like the best player on the field.

Two things jump out about Mesidor’s game right away: instincts and motor. He played NT last year and DE as a freshman, but his high school background as a LB shows on the field. He is hyperaware of the ball, whether he’s sniffing out screens, getting off blocks or retracing to the QB. While he can get skinny and penetrate upfield, he is not as reckless as we’ve seen the past couple years and rarely takes himself out of play. He’s also an excellent tackler.

The motor works with the instincts. There are numerous examples on film of him chasing 10-20 yards downfield and making form tackles. Check out the first play of the Maryland game (below) for an example. His motor runs hot throughout the entire game and he has excellent conditioning for a DL. He never stops working until the whistle blows.

Physically, he has outstanding bend, change of direction and coordination. He is rarely on the floor, which speaks to his balance. The big negative is the tweener body at 6’2, 270. He lacks the stout, explosive power of an elite defensive tackle and the range and speed of a top EDGE. But he is not just an overachiever. His flexibility and movement skills will give a chance to play on Sundays.

As a pass rusher, he thrives off second effort. His rush never stops until the whistle blows, and his unique bend and change of direction allows him to make sudden and sharp redirect moves to the QB. He has strong hands and will sequence a wide variety of moves until the play is over. He’s also coordinated enough to spin back into the play without losing control or balance. This ****nal made him one of the most productive pass-rushing DTs in the country last year.

His role with Miami is, first and foremost, as a tone setter. Leonard Taylor and Jared Harrison-Hunte have more size and talent, but Mesidor is the better player right now. He can push them to greatness with his motor and playmaking. His versatility gives you a lot of options on the field. The best fit may be similar to Marlon Davidson at Auburn under Coach Steele. We are a bigger team with him on the edge and a better pass rushing team with him inside. Expect him to move around.

Overall, this is a true impact player and the biggest addition in the Portal thus far. We badly needed playmakers in the front seven and that is what Mesidor brings.

He is #90 in the clips below:

Holy **** just off the OU game kid is causing havoc inside. What a get by the staff he's the best player on our DL easily.

Advertisement
I would play Mesidor on the edge primarily and then kick him inside at times to take advantage of favorable matchups. I would love a 3-4 unit of

Edge Jahfari Harvey
DE Leonard Taylor
NT Jordan Miller
DE Akheem Mesidor
Edge Mitchell Agude

Let them eat on 3rd downs!

Advertisement
I’m a Neal Brown fan so I would try and catch WVU games whenever I could just to monitor his progress there

I really can’t add much to this post other than “yup”

He created a lot of havoc from the interior even being undersized because of what you highlighted D: his instincts. He just seemed to consistently be in the right place at the right time and he didn’t seem to get washed out much. Kind of the opposite of where Taylor is now. Taylor shows flashes of why he can be great, but then reverts back.

This kid instantly becomes our most valuable player on the DL right now because he can also be moved around when needed. He was fantastic as a freshman at DE

But he’s also not some gray beard body that we are plugging in there. He still has a lot of room to get better as he gets bigger I think
Taylor is too finesse imo

To me just thinking off the top of my head he’s a blend of Aaron Donald, Dwight Freeney, with the motor of JJ Watt, and the potential of Reggie White. Just thinking out loud
C'mon bro, I know that it's hard to give a player props before he even plays a down as a Cane but SURELY you can give him more credit then that. Stop being pigeonholed, think outside the box, and crown this man. Put the proper respekt on his name!!

Advertisement
Is there a chance that LT ends up being the most recent version of Marcus Fortson? All world talent but just never blossomed into the game changing interior lineman that have UM so great?
No because he is already better than fortson. LT is a playmaker just has to be more disciplined

Is there a chance that LT ends up being the most recent version of Marcus Fortson? All world talent but just never blossomed into the game changing interior lineman that have UM so great?
U have to have some sort of strength at the point of attack when hands get on u. It seems like he lacks that...u need power and speed. He needs to get stronger asap. Hopefully we got those bama roods now.

These kids want their piece of the pie. Especially the kids who weren’t highly recruited but have turned into good players at their current program . Either give me a reason to stay or I’m testing the Nil waters. It’s their chance at free agency. It also gives them negotiating power.
Not everyone is going to have a guarantee at cashing NFL checks. Dont blame them. Thank God UM is a destination location with lots of $$$

Advertisement
Back