Keeping what you have

The difference is the NIL and college time is short lived for the top end players. For instance beck would not take 500k more than UGA to go to Texas and maybe not play which would plummet his draft. So I guess playing time and opportunity would somewhat balance with the dollars.

Yeah....what does that have to do with my post?

Advertisement
This right here…This **** is a business, cfb has the most emotional fans but they gon have to learn its no hard feelings with this **** kids just tryna maximize their window man football dont last forever for everyone and u might not be getting a shot in the league so u would be dumb to not get every dime now
True, but the problem is its not college football anymore. Its NFL youth league. As much as I loved college ball over the decades, it is now well along the way towards having nothing to do with college or amateurism beyond the name affiliation and the scholarship being a tiny part of the overall compensation package.

True, but the problem is its not college football anymore. Its NFL youth league. As much as I loved college ball over the decades, it is now well along the way towards having nothing to do with college or amateurism beyond the name affiliation and the scholarship being a tiny part of the overall compensation package.

Exactly. The entertainment value for college football fans is going to disappear, and then the money isn't there anymore.

Didn't we go through this with TVD last year and Wong in basketball? This is nothing new and has been a thing since NIL started. It's happening everywhere. Some aren't as public as others.
This has been happening before NIL was legal. Ever since the lifted sitting for a year when transferring it has become open bidding on any player. NIL just expanded the opportunities and amounts that these players could dip into. Teams were bagging guys up to transfer before NIL was legal.

Edit: I guess you were referring to the openness of the negotiations though. My bad if you were.

This has been happening before NIL was legal. Ever since the lifted sitting for a year when transferring it has become open bidding on any player. NIL just expanded the opportunities and amounts that these players could dip into. Teams were bagging guys up to transfer before NIL was legal.

Nah, nothing close to this extreme. A handful of transfers each offseason made the news. The portal hasn't even opened and you could already field a top 25 team with the names looking to transfer this year.

Advertisement
How about stop letting guys transfer willy nilly? They should only be able to transfer if the head coach leaves or school is put on probation.

Nah, nothing close to this extreme. A handful of transfers each offseason made the news. The portal hasn't even opened and you could already field a top 25 team with the names looking to transfer this year.
That's fair. My point was more or less the portal opened the door, sure NIL opened the floodgates. Curious to see the number on how many portal entrants actually end up with a better deal or better situation than where they left. Needless to say I think the first remedy to the open free agency is fixing the transfer rule and start putting the sit out rule back in except for very stringent qualifying factors.

Advertisement
Hmmmmm..........seems as though it's heading toward legalized extortion.

It's a 1 yer renewable contract, so I see nothing but capitalism at work. Maybe now both parties will agree to sign multi-year contracts and tie themselves in, maybe they won't. That's what a free market gets you, less certainty but more market clearing pricing, which at the aggregate level is the fairest outcome but can be brutal at the individual level.

This is why we have regulation. All you anti-bureaucrats out there just need to take a look at the exploitation happening pre-NIL, and now the comeuppance we're seeing post-NIL, and admit regulation and governance helps provided it's unbiased. Oh, and by the way, we need to start taxing this sport. Because it has absolutely nothing to do with academics at this point.

Except this current landscape isn't sustainable. Your South Carolina type schools whose fans put in a lot of NIL money only to see guys leave anyway won't keep reaching for their wallets. Then you have an enormous gap between the few billionaire schools and everyone else.
These SC teams paying their coaches multimillion a years SC teams?

Advertisement
Give me THIS level of semi-transparency any day and all day even if it means a somewhat temporary wild west atmosphere. Did we love the alternative? Where everyone pretended to scratch their heads when players with high draft grades magically would come back for another year at Clemson or SEC schools? I guess they just loved the college atmosphere. Yup yup yup derrrrp....next story, Pawllll..

Advertisement
The way they need to handle the transfers is as so:

Transferring before Junior Year (Aka 3rd year): Sit one year (unless coach is fired)

Transferring Junior Year and beyond: 1 time transfer without sitting

- Eliminate Grad Transfers ( unless that player left before their junior year due to a coach being fired ) and give everyone the one time transfer to use whenever they want once they hit theur 3rd year.

It won’t stop everything but it’ll at least make a player commit to a school a minimum of 2 seasons unless they wanna sit.

This is new?? What was it called when Clemson got 3 1st round pick Dline players to return for another championship run of a season… NIL or was it bags back then…

Biggest difference now is that the conversation can be out loud and not hush hush

Advertisement
Back