Jump to #7 in the AP poll, #9 in the Coaches poll

I get 6 of the 7 ahead of us. Can someone explain to me the infatuation with Missouri though?

We’re still at the point in the season where teams are receiving credit for what they did last year. They did technically beat a ranked team yesterday.

Their schedule is fairly easy by SEC standards so it wouldn’t be a shock if they finish with 10 wins again.

Advertisement
Eh, they were a 17 point favorite on the road against Oregon State and up by 8 at the half. Pretty much held to expectations in the first half and surpassed them in the 2nd.

If Miami had jumped Oregon last week after their first 2 lackluster performances, that would have made more sense than after a dominant win on the road against a rival. Such is the whims of the college football writers. Like I said, just keep winning Canes.

The first two weeks (when Oregon struggled the most) were when we were the farthest behind them.

Took a few weeks for Oregon to drop and Miami to climb. Both teams are 3-0.

But, yes, Oregon should have had steeper drops in the first two weeks. I have said as much earlier in this thread.

Point spreads are merely numbers to determine betting positions. Oregon still struggled with an inferior Oregon State in the first half.

I've been keeping track of where the AP voters rank us.

We're ranked as high as 5th, but no lower than 12th on anyone's ballot.

Even voters who were skeptical of us in the preseason and after the first 2 weeks, now have us in their top 10.

I have not checked the same data from the Coaches poll, but I would be curious to see which coaches are still acting like "the Russian judge" towards Miami.

Advertisement
Surprised passed a couple in AP poll. Of course, it all means nothing and since many of these guys play each other, it will all sort out.

Just win, baby.
1726427173878.jpeg

Let's just keep on winning impressively and see what happens. Anybody complaining here about our ranking must have their head examined. If you want to be fair, non biased, and objective we have played nobody. The Gators are down and may not win 4 games this year. Ball State had a slew of starters out for the game and FAMU was FAMU. I do watch a ton of football and have for the past 60 plus years. The SEC is far above the talent we play and we are lucky that UM plays in a weak conference.

I have not checked the same data from the Coaches poll, but I would be curious to see which coaches are still acting like "the Russian judge" towards Miami.
I'd like to see how the coaches vote too. But they aren't public anymore.

When Spurrier was at SC he said he was letting aides fill it out for him. Which was pretty ****** considering the coaches poll was being used as a BCS component.

The US LBM Board of Coaches for the 2024 season:

Tim Albin, Ohio
Major Applewhite, South Alabama
Tim Beck, Coastal Carolina
Mike Bloomgren, Rice
David Braun, Northwestern
Jeff Brohm, Louisville
Fran Brown, Syracuse
Neal Brown, West Virginia
Troy Calhoun, Air Force
Jamey Chadwell, Liberty
Bob Chesney, James Madison
Chris Creighton, Eastern Michigan
Sonny Cumbie, Louisiana Tech
Spencer Danielson, Boise State
Ryan Day, Ohio State
Kalen DeBoer, Alabama
Kenny Dillingham, Arizona State
Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri
Mike Elko, Texas A&M
Tony Elliott, Virginia
Jedd Fisch, Washington
James Franklin, Penn State
Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame
Willie Fritz, Houston
Alex Golesh, South Florida
Tyson Helton, Western Kentucky
Mike Houston, East Carolina
Butch Jones, Arkansas State
Brent Key, Georgia Tech
GJ Kinne, Texas State
Chris Klieman, Kansas State
Dan Lanning, Oregon
Rhett Lashlee, SMU
Clark Lea, Vanderbilt
Lance Leipold, Kansas
Pete Lembo, Buffalo
Sean Lewis, San Diego State
Mike Locksley, Maryland
Mike MacIntyre, Florida International
Gus Malzahn, Central Florida
Chuck Martin, Miami (Ohio)
Derek Mason, Middle Tennessee
Joey McGuire, Texas Tech
Bronco Mendenhall, New Mexico
Jeff Monken, Army
Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh
Ken Niumatalolo, San Jose State
Barry Odom, UNLV
Gerad Parker, Troy
Brent Pry, Virginia Tech
Kirby Smart, Georgia
Mark Stoops, Kentucky
Jon Sumrall, Tulane
Lance Taylor, Western Michigan
Jeff Traylor, Texas-San Antonio

55 coaches (out of 134 FBS schools, so 41% representation)

ACC - 7 out of 17 schools (41% representation of its conference)
SEC and Big 12 - 6 out of 16 schools (37.5% representation of its conference)
Big 10 - 6 out of 18 schools (33.3% representation of its conference)
Notre Dame is just Notre Dame

So of the 55 votes, 26 are from P4 (plus ND) and 29 are from non-P4.

Which means that 53% of the voters are from outside the P4. And the Top 25 is dominated by P4 teams (only 2 non-P4 teams in the Top 25).

And before someone says "yeah, but that's snobbery", keep in mind that the P4 are playing 8 conference games out of 12, and when you factor in 1 or 2 games against OTHER P4 teams, it means that those 29 non-P4-voters BARELY EVER get to see any of the P4 teams play.

So for 29 coaches to vote on Miami, not one of whom has actually see us play in person (and Golesh will be the only non-P4 coach who eventually gets to see us play), it just seems like this is not a very good pool of voters.

All the coaches are actually WORKING on Saturdays, and cannot see the other 132 teams play, while at least you can argue that the AP voters can watch MULTIPLE games as a part of THEIR jobs. So at least the AP voters might be able to watch a dozen or more teams play on Saturday prior to casting their votes.

Advertisement
I've been keeping track of where the AP voters rank us.

We're ranked as high as 5th, but no lower than 12th on anyone's ballot.

Even voters who were skeptical of us in the preseason and after the first 2 weeks, now have us in their top 10.
It literally doesn’t matter.

If we with the acc we will be ranked third most likely where it counts - the cfp seeding

It’s not like acc is on path to get two bids right now and optics matters to make sure we are 11th or better. Which we already are

The US LBM Board of Coaches for the 2024 season:

Tim Albin, Ohio
Major Applewhite, South Alabama
Tim Beck, Coastal Carolina
Mike Bloomgren, Rice
David Braun, Northwestern
Jeff Brohm, Louisville
Fran Brown, Syracuse
Neal Brown, West Virginia
Troy Calhoun, Air Force
Jamey Chadwell, Liberty
Bob Chesney, James Madison
Chris Creighton, Eastern Michigan
Sonny Cumbie, Louisiana Tech
Spencer Danielson, Boise State
Ryan Day, Ohio State
Kalen DeBoer, Alabama
Kenny Dillingham, Arizona State
Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri
Mike Elko, Texas A&M
Tony Elliott, Virginia
Jedd Fisch, Washington
James Franklin, Penn State
Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame
Willie Fritz, Houston
Alex Golesh, South Florida
Tyson Helton, Western Kentucky
Mike Houston, East Carolina
Butch Jones, Arkansas State
Brent Key, Georgia Tech
GJ Kinne, Texas State
Chris Klieman, Kansas State
Dan Lanning, Oregon
Rhett Lashlee, SMU
Clark Lea, Vanderbilt
Lance Leipold, Kansas
Pete Lembo, Buffalo
Sean Lewis, San Diego State
Mike Locksley, Maryland
Mike MacIntyre, Florida International
Gus Malzahn, Central Florida
Chuck Martin, Miami (Ohio)
Derek Mason, Middle Tennessee
Joey McGuire, Texas Tech
Bronco Mendenhall, New Mexico
Jeff Monken, Army
Pat Narduzzi, Pittsburgh
Ken Niumatalolo, San Jose State
Barry Odom, UNLV
Gerad Parker, Troy
Brent Pry, Virginia Tech
Kirby Smart, Georgia
Mark Stoops, Kentucky
Jon Sumrall, Tulane
Lance Taylor, Western Michigan
Jeff Traylor, Texas-San Antonio

55 coaches (out of 134 FBS schools, so 41% representation)

ACC - 7 out of 17 schools (41% representation of its conference)
SEC and Big 12 - 6 out of 16 schools (37.5% representation of its conference)
Big 10 - 6 out of 18 schools (33.3% representation of its conference)
Notre Dame is just Notre Dame

So of the 55 votes, 26 are from P4 (plus ND) and 29 are from non-P4.

Which means that 53% of the voters are from outside the P4. And the Top 25 is dominated by P4 teams (only 2 non-P4 teams in the Top 25).

And before someone says "yeah, but that's snobbery", keep in mind that the P4 are playing 8 conference games out of 12, and when you factor in 1 or 2 games against OTHER P4 teams, it means that those 29 non-P4-voters BARELY EVER get to see any of the P4 teams play.

So for 29 coaches to vote on Miami, not one of whom has actually see us play in person (and Golesh will be the only non-P4 coach who eventually gets to see us play), it just seems like this is not a very good pool of voters.

All the coaches are actually WORKING on Saturdays, and cannot see the other 132 teams play, while at least you can argue that the AP voters can watch MULTIPLE games as a part of THEIR jobs. So at least the AP voters might be able to watch a dozen or more teams play on Saturday prior to casting their votes.
Yeah its probably safe to say they aren't filling out their own ballots. They're just letting some random staffer do it for them. And since they aren't released publicly, there's nothing stopping that staffer from leaving a rival off the ballot entirely.

It literally doesn’t matter.

If we with the acc we will be ranked third most likely where it counts - the cfp seeding

It’s not like acc is on path to get two bids right now and optics matters to make sure we are 11th or better. Which we already are

This is the ONE THING in life where I refuse to "trust the process".

Yeah its probably safe to say they aren't filling out their own ballots. They're just letting some random staffer do it for them. And since they aren't released publicly, there's nothing stopping that staffer from leaving a rival off the ballot entirely.

Yeah. And depending on whether you are an optimist (the coaches try REALLY HARD to get it right, but they still can barely watch any other games) or a pessimist (the coaches don't even fill out their own ballots), it's not a good answer in either case.

Advertisement
There is no reason to get worked up over the rankings. Take care of business and we will be in the 12 team tournament.

We’ve moved up from 19 to 8 in 3 weeks.

Things will work themselves out if we take care of business.

Here's my top 5. I know you were thinking, "****, I wonder what P-Tizzle's top 5 after week one of CFP looks like". I got you.

1. Georgia
2. Miami
3. Georgia Tech (cause **** FSU)
4. Boston College (cause **** FSU)
5. Notre Dame
I’ll alert the media.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back