Josh Pate On Miami

Perhaps, I’m in denial but I don’t understand the FSU hype, at all. SMU and Clemson have a better shot at making the ship game, imo.
A lot of metrics like their defense and OL. I’ll post some more of Steele’s stuff tomorrow, but I was shocked seeing how highly a lot of metrics think of some key positions (other town QB and WR). SP+ loves them as a consensus T-15 team, so does Bill Connelly and FPI.

They’re going to grind out low scoring games, run the ball a ton with DJ and chew clock. If they get into shootouts, they lose. If they go down 14+ and have to change the gameplan, they lose. DJ isn’t good enough to bring them back.

A lot of metrics like Clemson though, FSU vs Clemson early in the year will Be a pivotal one to see who has the inside track to the ACCCG. Clemson is in a good buy-low spot due to the chaos last year, but again the advanced stats love their defense. Good group of WRs and they haven’t given up on Garrett Riley figuring out the offense, it’s basically up to Klubnik and if he can live up to his potential..

Last edited:
Advertisement
Perhaps, I’m in denial but I don’t understand the FSU hype, at all. SMU and Clemson have a better shot at making the ship game, imo.
That receiver room is trash but they return all of their starters from a senior-led OL. Norvell will more than likely lean on the running game this year with Ukulele at QB. Their defense will be tough once again with a lot of promising youngsters in the secondary. Cornrow has lowkey built good depth at important positions.

I'd hold off on a prediction until after the GT game though. Hopefully GT whoops that a**!

FSU is an 8-4/9-3 type team this year.

They havent recruited good enough at the high school level to make up for all the losses.

They lost like 9 of their 10 best players.

Even on defense, they wont be as good. Verse and Fiske were bigtime players. Jones Jr. and Jackson are nice players, but not as good as the aforementioned.

On offense they got worse at QB, RB, and WR.

They have a tough opener vs. GT. I would hammer GT -13 or whatever that spread is.

@SMU
Clemson
@Miami
@Notre Dame

I think they go 1-3 in those 4 games.

I got Miami vs. Clemson in the ACC Title game.

Im watching N.C. State closely and VT. Both have garbage league schedules.

Also Louisville is in there too. They dont play a tough league schedule either. Play @Clemson and get Miami at home. They dont play FSU, N.C. state, or VT.

1.)Miami
2.)Clemson
3.)N. C. State
4.)VT
5.)Louisville
6.)FSU
7.)GT
8.)SMU

Going into season

Last edited:
FSU can make a run at the ACC title if the transfers they picked up can make an impact. That’s far from a sure thing. Most of those guys flopped at their first school.

SMU is interesting. They made a huge jump defensively last year. They’re making a pretty big jump in conference competition though. The top tier AAC teams are very much on par with most of the ACC but the difference between the bottom dwellers is huge. The “bad” ACC teams can still compete. There’s no easy wins.

Advertisement
Travis absolutely carried FSU the past two seasons. Guy was low key a top 5 most valuable player in the game and probably would have been a Heisman finalist had he not gotten hurt.

DJU is probably more talented in a vaccum but he'll never be what Travis was for them, not to mention there isn't a Keon Coleman/Wilson/Bell/Benson on the roster either.

FSU can make a run at the ACC title if the transfers they picked up can make an impact. That’s far from a sure thing. Most of those guys flopped at their first school.

SMU is interesting. They made a huge jump defensively last year. They’re making a pretty big jump in conference competition though. The top tier AAC teams are very much on par with most of the ACC but the difference between the bottom dwellers is huge. The “bad” ACC teams can still compete. There’s no easy wins.

I've had my eyes on the SMU vs FSU game since the schedule was released. That one is VERY interesting to me.

-FSU plays in Dublin in Week 0.

-Then they fly back across the world and play the next weekend, although the game is home and on Monday (Labor Day).

-They have a bye on 9/7

-They play a home game against Memphis, which is not going to be easy. It's at noon, too. Might be a little sleepy, and Memphis won 10 games last year plus return a multi-year starter at QB.

-They play a home game against Cal

-They head to Dallas to play their first true road game of the year vs SMU, in what is the ACC Opener for SMU. It's going to be a wild scene, especially if SMU starts the year off 4-0.

I think FSU has 3 games out of the first 5 that will be tougher than people think. The line against GT in Dublin continues to drop, that one could get interesting. Memphis will be no pushover. And then at SMU. If they lose 1 or even 2 of these games, the season could very much go off the rails because guess who comes to town the Saturday after this SMU game? Clemson.

If FSU is 6-0 after Clemson, they deserve to be ranked in the Top 5. Even 5-1 is very good. But if they're not sharp right out of the gate, if DJU is just decent, if these transfers don't gel, they could easily be 4-2 or even 3-3.

It's always a tough transition for teams when they level up. Look at UCF last year. I think SMU on the right track, but now going to ACC CG or even winning 8 games this year.
Have you seen SMU’s schedule? They are going to have a very good year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I dont like FSU either, but at the sametime I know football, Norvell is a quaterback coach, he developed Jordan Travis into a nice QB. He could very well improve DJ, their oline will be good, they have one receiver who's a known playmaker. The transfers that they have at wr do have speed. They have a couple talented RB's that have potential. Offense comparison with Miami: I wholeheartedly feel Cam Ward is a better QB than DJ, I think FSU's oline will be pretty good, maybe just as good as ours. I think our wr's are better, especially from a production stand point. I think we're better in the RB room, especially with a Fletch healthy. I also think we're better at TE.

Defense: I think that their secondary will be better than ours, they have a few returning starters there. I think our LB's will be better than theirs, we return 2 starters and one of the best middle linebackers in the nation, they lost both their top backers from last season. Defensive line is tricky, in my honest opinion (hate to say it) but their Dline will be pretty good, I think their tackles are slightly better than ours (when you start putting Bain and Messidor inside it's a little trick) but their starting tackles I think are slightly better. At they don't any player as dominant as Bain ( on the Dline as a whole) I give us the edge at DE, plus we are deeper than them there.

Advertisement
Just comparing position groups doesn’t tell the whole story. Yes their dbs are good. But they’re going against our strength which is our receivers.

All about the matchups. Their dl is good but our OL will be a strength. Our pass rush should get the better of their line and dj is not the escape artist that Travis is.

Florida state is one of the schools that has to replace almost the most production on offense of anyone in the country. I think it’s about 90%

Nah, they're bottom third. It's something like 80th out of 134 teams in returning offensive production.

They lose a lot, for sure, but it's not almost the most of anyone in the country.

I dont like FSU either, but at the sametime I know football, Norvell is a quaterback coach, he developed Jordan Travis into a nice QB. He could very well improve DJ, their oline will be good, they have one receiver who's a known playmaker. The transfers that they have at wr do have speed. They have a couple talented RB's that have potential. Offense comparison with Miami: I wholeheartedly feel Cam Ward is a better QB than DJ, I think FSU's oline will be pretty good, maybe just as good as ours. I think our wr's are better, especially from a production stand point. I think we're better in the RB room, especially with a Fletch healthy. I also think we're better at TE.

Defense: I think that their secondary will be better than ours, they have a few returning starters there. I think our LB's will be better than theirs, we return 2 starters and one of the best middle linebackers in the nation, they lost both their top backers from last season. Defensive line is tricky, in my honest opinion (hate to say it) but their Dline will be pretty good, I think their tackles are slightly better than ours (when you start putting Bain and Messidor inside it's a little trick) but their starting tackles I think are slightly better. At they don't any player as dominant as Bain ( on the Dline as a whole) I give us the edge at DE, plus we are deeper than them there.
Keon Coleman and Drops Wilson bailed out Jordan Travis a lot last year. And folks(per Smooth Brain Bud Elliot) are saying that Jordan Travis was/is more accurate of a passer than DJU. So now that their top 2 WRs aren't there and neither is the better QB. I think Norvell is a good offensive mind, I'll give him that. I think he's about to get a heat check with DJU. When teams sell out on the run vs FSU, DJU ain't good enough to make them pay.

Hammer GT +13 week 1 cause TVD can't read zone and neither can DJU.

Advertisement
Back