2026 Jahkeem "Thanos" Stewart 5* DT from New Orleans (#1 recruit in 26 cycle)

Kids held back all the time in basketball to get that extra year of physical maturity advantage. We have a lot more kids turning 19 in high school than 10 years ago.
My younger brother did that for baseball like ten years ago. His birthday allowed him to play “down” in younger leagues when most kids in his grade couldn’t. Allowed him to get good experience against older kids and then dominate “younger” kids even though he was their age. He played with a group of kids who did that. Benefited all of them in the short term, college scholarships, potential travel ball, scouting etc. Youth sports are a weird world.

Advertisement
My younger brother did that for baseball like ten years ago. His birthday allowed him to play “down” in younger leagues when most kids in his grade couldn’t. Allowed him to get good experience against older kids and then dominate “younger” kids even though he was their age. He played with a group of kids who did that. Benefited all of them in the short term, college scholarships, potential travel ball, scouting etc. Youth sports are a weird world.
Malcolm Gladwell started much of this with his book Outliers when he showed the impact of age/birthdates for youth hockey players and the incredibly disproportionate number of successful players who had birthdays, like your brother, that were on the cusp of a cut off, making them the oldest players in their particular age group. They were better at younger ages so they played better positions and made better travel teams and so on and so on all the way to the pro leagues.

This was then taken a step farther by parents holding their kids back a year for an even greater advantage.

I was gonna say that's super prevalent in baseball, most of the good kids in san diego were all a year older, usually repeated 8th grade then played varsity as "freshmen"

I wonder if he would fully be inelgible because i dont think he played an official game this szn yet...only a kickoff classic.

If he really is from RESERVE it makes no sense to be driving 40 mins to go to Karr when you cant play and he could just go to a regular school near to home. Maybe they would be petitioning for him to play...or he aint from Reserve.

Ive been wanting us to recruit EDNA KARR for the longest we got Standish da Goat from there thats it...and ST AUG AS well.

**** I been screaming get into NEW ORLEANS for years. LSU gets who they want but there still will be kids available and New Orleans ppl love Miami as a culture fit.
Same like the north east up here in NJ/NY they love Miami, usually St Peters Prep always has a kid ever so often and they always love Miami.

Advertisement
I wonder if he would fully be inelgible because i dont think he played an official game this szn yet...only a kickoff classic.

If he really is from RESERVE it makes no sense to be driving 40 mins to go to Karr when you cant play and he could just go to a regular school near to home. Maybe they would be petitioning for him to play...or he aint from Reserve.

Ive been wanting us to recruit EDNA KARR for the longest we got Standish da Goat from there thats it...and ST AUG AS well.

**** I been screaming get into NEW ORLEANS for years. LSU gets who they want but there still will be kids available and New Orleans ppl love Miami as a culture fit.
Supposedly, he is ineligleble but you are right - he has not played an official game this season.

He is from Reserve. All of his family live there and Laplace (and Dallas, TX). There are people "making a documentary" about Jakheem and there have been clips shared. He is clearly staying in New Orleans proper in those clips during the school week getting ready for school. And in the clips from weekend/summer he was clearly in Reserve by the river. His mentor is Clyde Alexander who runs Edge Assassins and is closely entwined with St. Aug, although he definitely works with other kids, including Karr kids. Alexander has taken him to every college visit and camp including a Miami visit. I would usually hate on the whole 'mentor/handler' situation but in this case it seems best for Jakheem. His parents are very young (He's only 16) and getting him out of Reserve is probably best. I'm sure you remember Ryan Perrilloux and I wonder if Perilloux would have gotten out sooner and not stayed home for college, if he would have had a different projection. St Aug and Karr are much more positive atmospheres than East St John. ****, a kid was just busted with a loaded gun at school last Friday.

At the end of the day, I would put my money in this kid going where he gets the biggest bag. He's been destroying top recruits in camps since he was in 8th grade. He is also very focused and technique driven. He started last T&F season throwing (shot put) and when he started he was only throwing about 12m and by the end of the season he finished 4th in state with 15.5m.

Malcolm Gladwell started much of this with his book Outliers when he showed the impact of age/birthdates for youth hockey players and the incredibly disproportionate number of successful players who had birthdays, like your brother, that were on the cusp of a cut off, making them the oldest players in their particular age group. They were better at younger ages so they played better positions and made better travel teams and so on and so on all the Anya to the pro leagues.

This was then taken a step farther by parents holding their kids back a year for an even greater advantage.
My brother was “held” back his Sophomore year of HS for that exact reason. Allowed him another full year of travel ball and showcases. A physical sport like football I don’t see merits as much with the limited shelf life due to the nature of the sport. Really depends on the kid. My brother played travel ball with Mike Cameron’s kid, and he was three years younger than my brother. Maybe this kids parents, mentors or whoever don’t see the need in unnecessary injury risk playing by another pointless year of HS football for his rankings. Developmentally I don’t know if I see the rewards.

Malcolm Gladwell started much of this with his book Outliers when he showed the impact of age/birthdates for youth hockey players and the incredibly disproportionate number of successful players who had birthdays, like your brother, that were on the cusp of a cut off, making them the oldest players in their particular age group. They were better at younger ages so they played better positions and made better travel teams and so on and so on all the Anya to the pro leagues.

This has been going on a looooong time. Some posters on this board might be familiar with the name Tony Rice. His high school coach won multiple championships because he talked families into holding their kids back, specifically for the age advantage that came with it. It was literally men playing against boys.

This has been going on a looooong time. Some posters on this board might be familiar with the name Tony Rice. His high school coach won multiple championships because he talked families into holding their kids back, specifically for the age advantage that came with it. It was literally men playing against boys.
Tony Rice 🤮
That loss in 88 still hurts.
Varner had those boys rolling back in the day, didn't realize it was due to holding kids back.

Advertisement
Huh? Are you seeing Armando Blount? He reclassified and won't see the field this season. Might not see the field next season as well
Look Over Here Steve Carell GIF

I’m sure. Gladwell just introduced the practice that was already occurring to a larger audience.

And Tony Rice still can’t throw.

This kid is already getting monster offers ($1m+) and teams like oregon are throwing this stuff at him. Crazy.

Advertisement
So like the Toney thread why do people care so much about this? If we are getting this freak who the heck cares? Kid can play he’s a monster kids don’t stick around anymore night as well get him on campus and our coaching. If the kid needs to shirt he shirts

Advertisement
Back