Ingenuity on Offense - what's on your wish list?

Advertisement
Number one on my wish list is no more threads on ingenuity on offense by people that have only rudimentary knowledge of offense and think it's like a video game

It's a long offseason. What would you like to talk about?

You're right. Let's talk about receivers going in motion.

You first.

Well, if we're going to introduce the jet sweep or some type of WR swing pass or flanker screen or end-around then we'll need to employ some motion.

The latter used to work particularly well under Dennis Erickson.

Gets the ball out of the hands of our inexperienced QB and into the hands of the fastest roster we've had in years.

Number one on my wish list is no more threads on ingenuity on offense by people that have only rudimentary knowledge of offense and think it's like a video game

It's a long offseason. What would you like to talk about?

You're right. Let's talk about receivers going in motion.

You first.

Well, if we're going to introduce the jet sweep or some type of WR swing pass or flanker screen or end-around then we'll need to employ some motion.

The latter used to work particularly well under Dennis Erickson.

Gets the ball out of the hands of our inexperienced QB and into the hands of the fastest roster we've had in years.

Jet sweeps with Harley and Thomas could be dangerous. Counters off that action could be as well because you have to account for their speed whether it's a fake or not.

I want to see us line up in the I with 2 TEs and run between the Guards until the opponent folds. Old school Miami football. Pound, pound, pound and then pound some more. Burn clock.

Advertisement
An O-line that's gets a consistent push when running the ball

This. A million times. If they can get this, everything else is gravy.

I don't see this happening in 2017. It's the same cast of characters plus Donaldson, Herbert, Gaynor.

2018 appears promising with St. Louis, Gauthier, Gaynor, Donaldson, Herbert as a potential starting 5.

Since my other thread about the offense was locked, what are some wrinkles you'd like to see from the offense in 2017?

I think we'd all agree that receivers going in motion would be a plus.

We didn't have anyone with the explosiveness of Thomas, Dallas, Harley last season.

Wet dream scenario: Dallas lined up as wildcat QB with Thomas flanking him.

I would love to see the return of the weak-side sweep, which we used to run back in the days of Edge and James and Najeh and Clinton, et al. That play worked when we could seal the edge and give our running back a clear 20 yard lane, because defenses just assume "hey, they're going to run out of running room", so they don't send any of their defenders to the sideline until it is too late.

Advertisement
Triple Reverse.

Wildcat.

Statue Of Liberty.

Flea Flicker.

Hook and Ladder.

Advertisement
Since my other thread about the offense was locked, what are some wrinkles you'd like to see from the offense in 2017?

I think we'd all agree that receivers going in motion would be a plus.

We didn't have anyone with the explosiveness of Thomas, Dallas, Harley last season.

Wet dream scenario: Dallas lined up as wildcat QB with Thomas flanking him.

1. Coach make the play call faster.
2. A faster pace, not necessarily Oregonest, but fast enough to cause the defense problems with their reads.
3. More seam, post, under and pick routes by the WR's/Slot
4. Shallow passes to the back across the middle and the back on seam routes from off set formation.
5. Backs and WR's motion. TE reset and and shift to the backfield to pull as a lead blocker or sift through the garbage and run an out route.
6. Less predictable on running plays.
7. Some misdirection plays.

All this and a faster pace will make us a dangerous offense, more scoring and more exciting, appealing to recruits and fans.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back