Increase in Scholarship Limits

Advertisement
Great for Miami baseball, not great for Miami football. Keep in mind WHY scholarship restrictions existed. People like Bear Bryant would offer everyone, even guys he didn’t want, just to keep them from the opposition. Miami NIL is competitive, but it isn’t a bottomless pit. Imagine someone like Oregon deciding: We’re going to have more talent in street clothes, than most teams have on their roster? What’s stopping kids from taking solid NIL money and not playing, or not playing a ton?

Top 100 player - Mom and Dad, I want to get my education. I want to play at Miami.
Mom and Dad - Great son, how much is Miami per year?
Top 100 Player - It will cost me around $78,000 before student loans and Aid
Mom and Dad - How much is Florida?
Top 100 player - It's half of that
Mom and Dad - *&^% off. You are heading to Florida

Now, with the addition of more scholarships, this makes this dialog irrelevant.

Now we just have to keep Ariod and the Cora brothers from picking our next coach.

It's a WIN WIN!

Advertisement
Keep in mind WHY scholarship restrictions existed. People like Bear Bryant would offer everyone, even guys he didn’t want, just to keep them from the opposition.
Yes, but teams were already getting around the limits by giving walk-ons NIL, they will no longer be allowed to have walk-ons on the team.
Miami NIL is competitive, but it isn’t a bottomless pit. Imagine someone like Oregon deciding: We’re going to have more talent in street clothes, than most teams have on their roster? What’s stopping kids from taking solid NIL money and not playing, or not playing a ton?
Nothing, but there is nothing stopping this currently.

Advertisement
Top 100 player - Mom and Dad, I want to get my education. I want to play at Miami.
Mom and Dad - Great son, how much is Miami per year?
Top 100 Player - It will cost me around $78,000 before student loans and Aid
Mom and Dad - How much is Florida?
Top 100 player - It's half of that
Mom and Dad - *&^% off. You are heading to Florida

Now, with the addition of more scholarships, this makes this dialog irrelevant.

Now we just have to keep Ariod and the Cora brothers from picking our next coach.

It's a WIN WIN!

$78K would be a bargain for UM...

1721857160392.webp

And if Florida was HALF of Miami's cost, maybe it would be an easier comparison.

But it's not.

The University of Florida's tuition is ONE-TENTH that of Miami's.

Living expenses in Hogtown are HALF of what it costs in Miami.

1721857334618.webp

Great for Miami baseball, not great for Miami football. Keep in mind WHY scholarship restrictions existed. People like Bear Bryant would offer everyone, even guys he didn’t want, just to keep them from the opposition. Miami NIL is competitive, but it isn’t a bottomless pit. Imagine someone like Oregon deciding: We’re going to have more talent in street clothes, than most teams have on their roster? What’s stopping kids from taking solid NIL money and not playing, or not playing a ton?
Then they portal out.. Self solving issue. If they did this then took away the portal that would be problematic.

Advertisement
Thought read $100k now

It's $94K for 2024-2025. I just posted the years for which I pulled both UM and UF numbers.

Miami's tuition is TEN TIMES more expensive than Florida's. People have to let that sink in.

That means if you got a 25% baseball scholarship at Florida, you'd pay about $4,500 for tuition. And you'd pay $45,000 at Miami.

That's a $40K differential right off the bat (no pun intended), before you even factor in the living expenses.

And some of the dip****s on the Baseball Board still act like that kind of tuition differential doesn't mean anything in recruiting, just because Miami signed a bunch of talented rich kids from Dade County private schools.

probably to create room for all the players getting pushed out of programs due to the new landscape of the transfer portal

Advertisement
Just curious how yall think this will affect Olympic sports like track and field? Will more cuts occur there?

Looking at it wrong. A program can buy players every year but guess what there are only so many snaps/play calls to go around a game.

Players want to get paid but more importantly they want to get NFL paydays. Hard to do that if you are buried deep on the depth chart.

What I see happening is smart programs will sign more developmental players with the understanding they might not see meaningful playing time for years. Like if you grew in Alabama dreaming of playing for Bama or Auburn would you take that deal or go sign with Troy or Jacksonville St? 9 times out 10 they will take the chance to say they played in the SEC.

For a small private (expensive) school like Miami, who has always struggled getting quality walkons especially OL this will be a big boost. Mario and Mirabal now will be able to take more flyers on the “Doorframe” OL they like so much and have extended opportunities to develop them.

Advertisement
Back