How far can Golden and the present staff take us?

Advertisement
i got 10-12 playoff bound.. if he can get a crap temple team to 9 wins.. 3-4 more wins with the talent we can bring in should definitely be doable.

The staff we've seen up to now is quite flawed. Ceiling is 2 or 3 losses a season.

That said, this staff is young, ambitious, and relatively inexperienced. There is a possibility they can learn and mature into a stellar bunch of coaches.

This is what I'm saying. It seems all the haters on this board think the coaching staff is stuck in a vacuum. The coaches are definitely learning and getting experience and with better talent the on field product will get better. We just have to hope that Dorito got a rude awakening to what major conference defense needs to be the last few years and can adjust accordingly as his job is more on the line than anyone.
I'm just curious as to what evidence you have seen that implies or expressly shows that these coaches are indeed "learning." Learning usually takes place through doing things and then seeing what works and what doesn't and then adjusting. If they were truly learning, they would see that what they have been doing is not working and they would adjust. Your last sentence even acknowledges this; if they were truly learning, you wouldn't have to hope that Dorito got a "rude awakening" these past few years.

The fact that you are hoping that a coach finally gets a "rude awakening" by year 4 is not very inspiring and isn't really a good indication of things to come. The fact that Golden has stated he is chugging forward with the same approach shows that he is stubborn and really not learning anything, considering how poorly his defensive units have performed his entire tenure here and throughout most of his career.

Learning happens constantly. Last year they thought they finally had the talent and conditioning they lacked the first two years so they ran the same bs defense and got man handled again. I don't take anything said in public by Golden as anything of value, he knows changes need to be made.

I'm hoping that looking back at their tenure they will realize the changes that need to be made and subsequently make those changes. I believe they will make those changes and our defense will look better going forward. Anything else and at minimum coach D is out of a job.

Unfortunately, in this game, learning doesn't always happen constantly. Just because a corch gets his *** kicked repeatedly doesn't mean he's going to learn from it and formulate a plan to stop it from happening. If that were the case, then we probably would have seen some inkling of this learning process by now 3 years in. Instead, we've seen the team actually get worse and play its worst football at the end of last season.

If, as a corch, you need an entire offseason to "learn" that your pathetic defense is getting eviscerated for 500+ every week and not even thinking of slowing down any competent offense, then what will our opponents do? Will our opponents "learn" at a faster rate and continue to stay way ahead of Al? Or will Al suddenly hit a learning spurt that catapults him ahead of the guys who seem to be so much smarter than him every week?

When Golden starts winning all you guys thats bashing him will be no where to be found, because you will have nothing to say. So you will hide. And just cheer, It's all about the "U" 2014 is going to be good year

Funny, because if he doesn't succeed, you will be like those guys who supported Randy in his last year and now a couple years after he's fired will talk about how bad of a coach he was. If Golden gets fired, I wonder how many supporters he will still have 2-3 years later.
Thank you. I don't even know what this guy is talking about. We will be nowhere to be found? I sniffed Coker out, Shannon out, and most likely Golden. Either way, if I were wrong I would man the **** up.

This guy, on the other hand, will do exactly what you said: hang on a little tighter until he gets fired and then act like Golden is the worst coach and like he never supported him. And then, they will get a crush on the next coach before he proves he is a good coach, come up with some stupid slogans about said coach (i.e. Golden just gets it, Got Randy?, etc.) and rinse and repeat, you have our fan base who largely can't see patterns and thus learn from previous mistakes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The staff we've seen up to now is quite flawed. Ceiling is 2 or 3 losses a season.

That said, this staff is young, ambitious, and relatively inexperienced. There is a possibility they can learn and mature into a stellar bunch of coaches.

This is what I'm saying. It seems all the haters on this board think the coaching staff is stuck in a vacuum. The coaches are definitely learning and getting experience and with better talent the on field product will get better. We just have to hope that Dorito got a rude awakening to what major conference defense needs to be the last few years and can adjust accordingly as his job is more on the line than anyone.
I'm just curious as to what evidence you have seen that implies or expressly shows that these coaches are indeed "learning." Learning usually takes place through doing things and then seeing what works and what doesn't and then adjusting. If they were truly learning, they would see that what they have been doing is not working and they would adjust. Your last sentence even acknowledges this; if they were truly learning, you wouldn't have to hope that Dorito got a "rude awakening" these past few years.

The fact that you are hoping that a coach finally gets a "rude awakening" by year 4 is not very inspiring and isn't really a good indication of things to come. The fact that Golden has stated he is chugging forward with the same approach shows that he is stubborn and really not learning anything, considering how poorly his defensive units have performed his entire tenure here and throughout most of his career.

Learning happens constantly. Last year they thought they finally had the talent and conditioning they lacked the first two years so they ran the same bs defense and got man handled again. I don't take anything said in public by Golden as anything of value, he knows changes need to be made.

I'm hoping that looking back at their tenure they will realize the changes that need to be made and subsequently make those changes. I believe they will make those changes and our defense will look better going forward. Anything else and at minimum coach D is out of a job.

Unfortunately, in this game, learning doesn't always happen constantly. Just because a corch gets his *** kicked repeatedly doesn't mean he's going to learn from it and formulate a plan to stop it from happening. If that were the case, then we probably would have seen some inkling of this learning process by now 3 years in. Instead, we've seen the team actually get worse and play its worst football at the end of last season.

If, as a corch, you need an entire offseason to "learn" that your pathetic defense is getting eviscerated for 500+ every week and not even thinking of slowing down any competent offense, then what will our opponents do? Will our opponents "learn" at a faster rate and continue to stay way ahead of Al? Or will Al suddenly hit a learning spurt that catapults him ahead of the guys who seem to be so much smarter than him every week?

You may be right. I am figuring the first two years they blamed on not having their own players, and last year getting their *** kicked with their own players was a "wake up call". I think we will see more of Al taking over the defense this year. Ultimately I wish D'onofrio would be fired but that isn't happening, so hopefully he learned his bull**** schemes don't work at all.

You may be right. I am figuring the first two years they blamed on not having their own players, and last year getting their *** kicked with their own players was a "wake up call". I think we will see more of Al taking over the defense this year. Ultimately I wish D'onofrio would be fired but that isn't happening, so hopefully he learned his bull**** schemes don't work at all.

you don't get it

Advertisement
i got 10-12 playoff bound.. if he can get a crap temple team to 9 wins.. 3-4 more wins with the talent we can bring in should definitely be doable.

This is what kills me about the diehard Golden supporters and Golden himself. Basically what you are saying here is that in order for us to win, we have to out talent everyone. The problem is there are so many talented players/ athletes in the NCAA and other teams have just as many elite athletes/ talented players that it also takes good coaching, but people seem to think we are just going to fix all of our problems by getting more talent. This leads me to my next point, Golden himself.

I've come to a realization that Golden refuses to make changes to his defense, because he is 100% committed to the idea that we don't have talent. I'm not saying we have elite talent, but we have enough talent that we should not struggle with WF or UNC this year if our coaching was even respectable. He is in such denial about his/ Dnofrio's defensive gameplan not being the issue, and has thoroughly convinced himself that we have the talent level of a bottom feeder. The problem is we recruit fine, even during the cloud. We didn't recruit well enough to be a championship level team, but we recruited well enough that with proper player development, we should not be everyone's heisman game.

I hope Golden gets it right, but his refusal to make adjustments is going to be his downfall. This is year 4 about to begin. This whole team is his players, under his development, under his scouting. I'm not looking for 10-12 wins (I'll be happy if we do), but I'm looking for us to look like a capable/respectable team. We look like a joke right now. A team that looks like a joke, has no chance of being a good team.

This is what kills me about the diehard Golden supporters and Golden himself. Basically what you are saying here is that in order for us to win, we have to out talent everyone. The problem is there are so many talented players/ athletes in the NCAA and other teams have just as many elite athletes/ talented players that it also takes good coaching, but people seem to think we are just going to fix all of our problems by getting more talent. This leads me to my next point, Golden himself.

I've come to a realization that Golden refuses to make changes to his defense, because he is 100% committed to the idea that we don't have talent. I'm not saying we have elite talent, but we have enough talent that we should not struggle with WF or UNC this year if our coaching was even respectable. He is in such denial about his/ Dnofrio's defensive gameplan not being the issue, and has thoroughly convinced himself that we have the talent level of a bottom feeder. The problem is we recruit fine, even during the cloud. We didn't recruit well enough to be a championship level team, but we recruited well enough that with proper player development, we should not be everyone's heisman game.

I hope Golden gets it right, but his refusal to make adjustments is going to be his downfall. This is year 4 about to begin. This whole team is his players, under his development, under his scouting. I'm not looking for 10-12 wins (I'll be happy if we do), but I'm looking for us to look like a capable/respectable team. We look like a joke right now. A team that looks like a joke, has no chance of being a good team.

You get it brah

did last year really count as "their own players"? that's crazy to me since this year will be when his first real class are juniors.

what do you think we were doing with Butch and eventually coker? We weren't out scheming/coaching anyone.

Advertisement

what do you think we were doing with Butch and eventually coker? We weren't out scheming/coaching anyone.

Even assuming this is true, our scheme at least wasn't putting as at a disadvantage like our current one is.

This is what kills me about the diehard Golden supporters and Golden himself. Basically what you are saying here is that in order for us to win, we have to out talent everyone.
Why would we think that when we didn't out talent UF, UNC in our wins this year and in our win against VT last year?
You're the one coming up with these made up statements to fit your argument.

All I know is we won 9 games with players like Green, Gaines, Highsmith, Rodgers, Cornelius, in our 2 deep who I don't ever see having similar type low level talent ever sniffing our 2 deep going forward based on the talent that Golden has brought in the last few seasons.

Last edited:

Even assuming this is true, our scheme at least wasn't putting as at a disadvantage like our current one is.

Go pop in the Pitt game and tell me that scheme was the reason why they scored their first 2 TD's.
That was all on the players which not surprisingly were Green, Gaines and Highsmith that basically E'fed up on that play. Scheme had nothing to do with it.
How about that INT that Highsmith missed vs FSU? Was that scheme or a scrub as player failing to make a play?
I could go on and on..
Not saying we have some scheme issues, but not at the level that's being suggested on this board.
No matter what scheme was ran, you still need players to MAKE PLAYS.. We didn't.

Advertisement
When Golden starts winning all you guys thats bashing him will be no where to be found, because you will have nothing to say. So you will hide. And just cheer, It's all about the "U" 2014 is going to be good year

Funny, because if he doesn't succeed, you will be like those guys who supported Randy in his last year and now a couple years after he's fired will talk about how bad of a coach he was. If Golden gets fired, I wonder how many supporters he will still have 2-3 years later.
Thank you. I don't even know what this guy is talking about. We will be nowhere to be found? I sniffed Coker out, Shannon out, and most likely Golden. Either way, if I were wrong I would man the **** up.

This guy, on the other hand, will do exactly what you said: hang on a little tighter until he gets fired and then act like Golden is the worst coach and like he never supported him. And then, they will get a crush on the next coach before he proves he is a good coach, come up with some stupid slogans about said coach (i.e. Golden just gets it, Got Randy?, etc.) and rinse and repeat, you have our fan base who largely can't see patterns and thus learn from previous mistakes.

You and I bro, you and I...

i remember a banner flying over the orange bowl calling for butch davis to be fired. i also remember JUST A FEW MONTHS AGO this board buying one thanking Golden for doing such a great job. what a bunch of duchbags……….. let me know when the wind changes directions please
1.gif%3fw%3d477%26h%3d252

This.

Sad part is it seems as some pride and ego has gotten in the way of these posters and they dont want golden to win because it proves them right this fanbase is a mess

Advertisement
Back