How far can Golden and the present staff take us?

I know this will not be a popular opinion, but I'm convinced that Golden is a very smart dude with competent football coaching skills and excellent administrative ability. I'm hoping that the team's performance this past year (coupled with the PSU fiasco) was a wake up call. He knows he no longer is a hot commodity. If he fails to make progress this year, his career may be in jeopardy. I'm hoping that realization is the tipping point and his concern over his own career trumps his loyalty to the defensive scheme and his best friend. I would not be shocked in the least to see a different defensive approach this year. Moreover, one thing Golden has over Randy is an indefatigable work ethic. When Randy's program started to sh*t the bed, he packed it in. Al will not do that. His *** is on the line. And generally guys like him respond well in those circumstances. This is certainly a gratuitously positive outlook given the state of the program right now, but there is some logic and factual bases to support it. I think we will have a better record next year than we did this year.

Could not of said it better we won 9 games last year with no talent

Seriously? no talent. Maybe we don't have FSU talent, but to say we have no talent is just ignorant.

Advertisement
Our talent level is set to improve each of the next 2 years. The team can definitely improve. I recognize that we have a 45 year old version of Mack Brown, but 9 wins is definitely not our ceiling.

I was thinking our Mark Richt. Brown got a NC.

Golden could get a NC too if he got a QB he could just hand the ball to & let him do anything he wants and a team full of seniors on defense, all in his 10th year at the helm. But a better coach would have won 3 or 4 titles at Texas over the same time period.

i remember a banner flying over the orange bowl calling for butch davis to be fired. i also remember JUST A FEW MONTHS AGO this board buying one thanking Golden for doing such a great job. what a bunch of duchbags……….. let me know when the wind changes directions please
1.gif%3fw%3d477%26h%3d252

To be clear, that banner thanked Coach Golden for doing a good job of handling things through the NCAA mess.
lol to be clear…

There's a distinction.

Advertisement
I know this will not be a popular opinion, but I'm convinced that Golden is a very smart dude with competent football coaching skills and excellent administrative ability. I'm hoping that the team's performance this past year (coupled with the PSU fiasco) was a wake up call. He knows he no longer is a hot commodity. If he fails to make progress this year, his career may be in jeopardy. I'm hoping that realization is the tipping point and his concern over his own career trumps his loyalty to the defensive scheme and his best friend. I would not be shocked in the least to see a different defensive approach this year. Moreover, one thing Golden has over Randy is an indefatigable work ethic. When Randy's program started to sh*t the bed, he packed it in. Al will not do that. His *** is on the line. And generally guys like him respond well in those circumstances. This is certainly a gratuitously positive outlook given the state of the program right now, but there is some logic and factual bases to support it. I think we will have a better record next year than we did this year.

Seriously? no talent. Maybe we don't have FSU talent, but to say we have no talent is just ignorant.

9 wins woth the depth we had and dallas crawford at rb yeaa helll of a job by the staff

9-10 wins max is our max under Golden.

This year was about as good as it'll get under F.A.G.

Until he stops losing to teams he shouldn't I don't see us being better than a 9 win team that wins the occasional meaningless bowl game.

9 wins woth the depth we had and dallas crawford at rb yeaa helll of a job by the staff

This was the softest schedule we've had in a very long time. Against last year's teams, we might win 7 this year.

I'm still holding out hope that Al will turn it around and prove everyone wrong, but realistic side of me is telling me its not going to happen.

I'm more optimistic than you guys. The X's and O's on both sides of the ball has been a joke, but the talent level has improved dramatically. A few successful adjustments in the offseason (please please please!!!) and a year where everybodys dialed and things look good. No reason why we can't own the coastal.

This is the year where theres no more excuses. 9-3 is acceptable if we win the coastal and have competitive losses. No more 500 club. No more blowouts, and a postseason W in either the ACCCG or a bowl, and I'm very happy with the year. No NCAA excuse, no more inexperience, no more blaming Randy. Year 4 is put up or shut up. I have hope and I have my doubts and we have a long summer to wait and see.

I don't think that will happen, but if it did I would say we were heading in the right direction. I think head to head match-ups where we have superior talent we will win. It is when we have to out scheme/coach our opponent I just haven't seen anything to give me even a glimmer of hope.

Advertisement
The staff we've seen up to now is quite flawed. Ceiling is 2 or 3 losses a season.

That said, this staff is young, ambitious, and relatively inexperienced. There is a possibility they can learn and mature into a stellar bunch of coaches.

This is what I'm saying. It seems all the informed posters on this board think the coaching staff isn't stuck in a 3 year vacuum. The coaches are definitely learning and getting experience and with better talent the on field product will get better. We just have to hope that Dorito got a rude awakening to what major conference defense needs to be the last few years and can adjust accordingly as his job is more on the line than anyone.

FIFY

9-10 wins max is our max under Golden.

This year was about as good as it'll get under F.A.G.

Until he stops losing to teams he shouldn't I don't see us being better than a 9 win team that wins the occasional meaningless bowl game.

Until we actually out scheme an opponent and not out talent them, this is the ceiling.

When Golden starts winning all you guys thats bashing him will be no where to be found, because you will have nothing to say. So you will hide. And just cheer, It's all about the "U" 2014 is going to be good year

Advertisement
Didn't read all three pages so I'm putting this out there.

It ALL hinges on the defense. I'm not saying fire someone, I'm saying adapting to the personnel. If he adapts the D appropriately to the S. FL kids, we could be very, very good. If we have the '12 & '13 defense, he better start packing his bags.

This was the softest schedule we've had in a very long time. Against last year's teams, we might win 7 this year.

I'm still holding out hope that Al will turn it around and prove everyone wrong, but realistic side of me is telling me its not going to happen.

I believe UNC and GTECH were the only 2 teams on the schedule with a winning record that we beat. Both ended the season 7-6.

Look at who we beat last year. Some of you think that's some great accomplishment? This is UM is it not?

FAU-Putrid

U*** at full strength but they withered to a 4 win season. They also lost to a sub bowl division team in Georgia Southern.

Savannah State? Please straight garbage. A high school all star team could have given them a game.

S. Fla- Didn't they win 2 games last season?

GTECH- Mentioned above (average squad)

UNC- Mentioned above (average squad)

Weak Flowers- Below average squad. Moved the ball up and down the field on us and got shut out by mighty Syracuse the following week. lol

FSU- Spanked our a$$

Vag tech- see above

Duke- see above

Virginia- terrible team

Pitt- below average squad lost to Navy as well.

Louisville- ****ed all over us, laughed at us, taunted us and we left without so much as a fight let alone a win.

Oh yeah Golden and Co. had 1 month to prepare for that embarrassment as well.

Great job guys way to get the team prepared.

We certainly did not have National Championship caliber or top ten caliber talent but we most definitely had enough talent to win the Coastal.

Those of you who believe we had "no talent" let me ask you a question?

Whose job is it to recruit talent? If we had no talent than it's still on Golden, period.

Year 3 going on year 4. 75% of the talent this season were Golden's kids. Next season it will be 100%.

No more excuses. Change, adapt, overcome or GTFO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our defense was atrocious last year there's no debating that. However, our slide really started once we lost plays from arguable our biggest playmakers on each side of the ball - Duke and Tyriq McCord. Nothing needs to be said about Duke. But Tyriq in the first half of the season was really making impact plays that changed games with those strip sack fumbles or that int. It seemed like he wore down towards the latter half of the season he hit a wall physically as he still did not have prototypical size for rush olb/de. Next yr I expect Tyriq to be a beast despite the scheme. I also see AQM taking that next step and complementing Tyriq on the opposite side.

When Golden starts winning all you guys thats bashing him will be no where to be found, because you will have nothing to say. So you will hide. And just cheer, It's all about the "U" 2014 is going to be good year

Funny, because if he doesn't succeed, you will be like those guys who supported Randy in his last year and now a couple years after he's fired will talk about how bad of a coach he was. If Golden gets fired, I wonder how many supporters he will still have 2-3 years later.

Golden on the field can only be judged starting this year !! imo...
No coach has came into such a mess when you follow coker and shannon who put the program on probation basically for how inept they were then add in shapiro.... This will be the first year with that behind us still a few ships short but cant judge a coach when he had his hands tied now the rope has been cut.... Lets go

Sth. that makes me shiver regarding chief Golden: Why does a decent to good opponent always look bad *** and plays bad to the bone with swagger and our team looks like a bunch of unorganised pussxies out there, like in the bowl game vs. Loisville (and it was the whole team not only the defense)? I have no idea how far Golden can take this team, but as long as our guys play like a bunch of choir boys that just have been robbed their butterfly nets vs ranked opponents we won't make it back to the top.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back