Honest question.

Don't like the tone of this thread, but won't lock it down because this is an open forum.

If it borders further into the land of trolling, it gets nuked. And, trolls get nuked, too.

Yall shouldnt have nuked the genron thread
I don't know who nuked that one and haven't read it. But, there complaints about people tossing around recruiting violations. I haven't closed or nuked anything. Not gonna roll with trolling on recruiting violations, though.

Advertisement
Do y'all feel like a kid that reads on a 6-8 grade level, may have an IEP, and barely meets the academic minimum standards (with help of course) should attend the Univ of Miami?
I'll really want to see what current or former UM students have to say. Everyone input is welcomed though. Honestly, would that student athlete be put in the best situation. Or do you grant the Elite elite student athlete a chance and not a non elite athlete?
Is that a point to even consider in recruiting ?

[MENTION=7288]Genron[/MENTION] do you think a kid that reads on a 6-8 grade level, may have an IEP, and barely meets the academic minimum standards (with help of course) should attend one kind of institution over another? Do you see them as postgrad, juco, four year? Public? Private?

Also, what do you (and separately, what do recruits) think of a coach saying "all our kids pass" vs having hard facts like a high graduation rate for players? Would you base the decision on any other factors?

I hope that anything I posted wasn't inferred that anyone at Miami SHOULD or is paying or creating a recruiting violation. I thought the thread was good "in general" the ugly side of NCAA football, and thought my statements were really clear that I wish Miami could or would be in the position to do things that others do; however, I don't support someone actively doing it.

I think the NCAA system overall is unfair to these kids. Either way, if any of my posts where seen as contributing to the theory of UM should be creating a violation, it wasn't the case. UM compliance is probably one of the strongest, and needs to be after the Shapiro situation, we can't be near as flaunt as other institutions.

Personally. I don't think the thread should have got nuked, but also this isn't the WEZ so whatever is best for CIS and the CANES, that needs to be done.

Said athlete can receive accommodations at the University level, too.

Frank Gore could barely read or write a coherent sentence, and yet he's one of the best ambassadors for the Miami brand. It comes down to work ethic and character in the end of the player is worth it. I'm sure he has gave back too . Give the athletes tutors but allow them .

Do y'all feel like a kid that reads on a 6-8 grade level, may have an IEP, and barely meets the academic minimum standards (with help of course) should attend the Univ of Miami?
I'll really want to see what current or former UM students have to say. Everyone input is welcomed though. Honestly, would that student athlete be put in the best situation. Or do you grant the Elite elite student athlete a chance and not a non elite athlete?

The way our public schools have been teaching? The way they address the "up and out" concept? A significant number of teachers can't speak English for squat - and some kids are not getting an education - just a place to spend the bulk of their day.

So why wouldn't they get a chance - with academic tutorship and assistance - to excel? They can step up and do well - many just haven't been required to - or didn't have a real chance to.

I can't believe what public schools are graduating today. It's a disgrace.

Advertisement

The way our public schools have been teaching? The way they address the "up and out" concept? A significant number of teachers can't speak English for squat - and some kids are not getting an education - just a place to spend the bulk of their day.

So why wouldn't they get a chance - with academic tutorship and assistance - to excel? They can step up and do well - many just haven't been required to - or didn't have a real chance to.

I can't believe what public schools are graduating today. It's a disgrace.

Not just public schools my brother. Im in education. Been in public and private. Trust me. The system has fundamentally changed to produce programmable, docile robots as opposed to innovators.

I'm wondering where you're going with this. But if you wanna see our answer unless the kid has a legitimate learning disability(i.e. frank gore) with this staff simply look at Jermaine Eskridge & you have to look no further. Kid can't spell his own name on a consistent basis. You wanna see the last staff's answer simply look at our current roster & ask Robert Knowles to break a play down for you... I guarantee you by the time he finishes you'll appreciate silence just that much more... all schools get 4 exceptions to grade issues. We usually use 2 or 3 on a yearly basis so I'd say academics is very important to us. Put it this way I know 2 kids who are currently wrecking **** at Alabama & 3 kids handling up at fsu that all tried to enroll with us and we wouldn't use an exception on them because we didn't feel their transcripts would hold up.

The idea that a young man who is academically challenged would do better at an SEC school(that's what were talking about here right?) is wrong on so many levels it's hard to respond in this type of format. All but three SEC schools(Florida, Georgia and Vanderbilt) are a joke academically and anyone who would guide that individual to a lesser academic institution is telling a young man that he can't achieve academically and an education isn't important, which sets him up for failure in life. UM offers all the help any student would need for academic success (see Frank Gore)which includes offering them a free education if they leave early and want to get their degree sometime later. In addition only 6.5 percent of college players ever make it to the NFL and those that make it have an average career of 3.3 years so what do they do after football? A bad education will follow these men and limit them for LIFE. A few challenging years in rigorous and diverse academic environment like UM offers will benefit them in more ways than any of us could ever imagine, and yes I'm a UM alum.

Ale1T8w.jpg

Advertisement

Yes

Do y'all feel like a kid that reads on a 6-8 grade level, may have an IEP, and barely meets the academic minimum standards (with help of course) should attend the Univ of Miami? YES
I'll really want to see what current or former UM students have to say. Everyone input is welcomed though. Honestly, would that student athlete be put in the best situation. Or do you grant the Elite elite student athlete a chance and not a non elite athlete? YES[B][/B]
Is that a point to even consider in recruiting ? NO

I get the thesis so what's the alternative? Kid goes JUCO for two years do one year at any college who would accept them then to the pros? Or give an opportunity to someone that might not be qualified a shot to do better than what was afforded to them

I believe if they meet the minimum standard and are elite athletes they should be allowed in. They will have the opportunity to get the tutoring and mentoring they need to learn and catch up if they really want to, and they will also get the opportunity to ball out and go pro if that's what they are solely focused on.

Miami is a top 50 school academically in the country. That doesn't nessecarilly mean that it will be harder for kids who may not have learned much in high school to succeed. What it does mean is that there will be more real academic resources for that kid to utilize at the school. I'm not talking about cheating, but actual advantages like smaller class size, professors who are willing to spend time individually with students and student tutors.

Athletes actually get to utilize these resources more than the average student.

Look, with a guy like Richt at the helm, you can be sure that he is going to do what's best for the student-athlete. From all accounts I've seen he actually does care about the kids and wants them to be successful in whatever field they end up going into.

At the end of the day, I believe Miami is a better environment for academically challenged kids moreso than a place like Alabama. Where they will continue to coast and not really learn anything and where a guy like Saban could care less what happens to you after you graduate.

Amazing post and says all that needs to be said.

Advertisement
I believe if they meet the minimum standard and are elite athletes they should be allowed in. They will have the opportunity to get the tutoring and mentoring they need to learn and catch up if they really want to, and they will also get the opportunity to ball out and go pro if that's what they are solely focused on.

Miami is a top 50 school academically in the country. That doesn't nessecarilly mean that it will be harder for kids who may not have learned much in high school to succeed. What it does mean is that there will be more real academic resources for that kid to utilize at the school. I'm not talking about cheating, but actual advantages like smaller class size, professors who are willing to spend time individually with students and student tutors.

Look, with a guy like Richt at the helm, you can be sure that he is going to do what's best for the student-athlete. From all accounts I've seen he actually does care about the kids and wants them to be successful in whatever field they end up going into.

At the end of the day, I believe Miami is a better environment for academically challenged kids moreso than a place like Alabama. Where they will continue to coast and not really learn anything and where a guy like Saban could care less what happens to you after you graduate.
If this is a serious thread, which at least this post is a serious answer to a possible troll, I'll add to this well-stated perspective about environment:

College isn't only an opportunity to learn academic knowledge; in fact, it's increasingly more important to learn the emotional intelligence more closely tied to professional success.

UM is a better environment than one incentivizing the type of behavior and mentality that is less likely to arm some of these types of student-athletes with the ****nal necessary for real future success.

Most folks won't understand what an IEP is to begin with, unless they were on one, which would automatically eliminate them basically from UM to begin with, so you won't get much of an answer.

You right though. I wish there was a minor league football system that would grow strength to compete with the corrupt *** NCAA. Then we could watch minor league football and \ or NCAA football by STUDENT athletes.

If that system really did exist, I wonder who the "fans" of college football would really watch.

I teach students with disabilities . . . probably why I make such a good moderator here . . .

If you are saying students with an IEP, generally speaking, would not have the credentials to get into Miami, generally speaking I would agree. Unfortunately, there are too many kids with the label that probably fell behind due to home life issues . . . yes I know that isn't suppose to happen . . . I also know minorities are not inferior to Asians or Whites, and yet they make up much of the special education population. Having said that, many to most students at Miami, playing football, wouldnt be there without an athletic scholarship. Not all, many to most!

If this is a serious thread, which at least this post is a serious answer to a possible troll, I'll add to this well-stated perspective about environment:

College isn't only an opportunity to learn academic knowledge; in fact, it's increasingly more important to learn the emotional intelligence more closely tied to professional success.

UM is a better environment than one incentivizing the type of behavior and mentality that is less likely to arm some of these types of student-athletes with the ****nal necessary for real future success.

Exactly! There are some smart folks on this board that we all can tell have no soft skills. Genius and brilliant describe them, but they can't ask a girl on a date, work collaboratively on a team, follow directions . . . etc;

Degrees are great, but soft skills are where its at.

Advertisement
Do I understand OP correctly? Kids who can barely read have no business at Miami because it's a good school, but can go to alabama because it's a sucky school?

While bama sucks and Miami does not, it seems to me that kids who can't read aren't qualified to go to any university. That said, Miami tries harder and does better at getting it's kids to legitimately graduate as opposed to keeping them qualified until they are no longer useful.

Bring them in if they savages *** the rest

Nope. As a UM grad, I care about the perceived value of a UM degree, and although I don't mind giving athletes the benefit of the doubt when it comes to admission (or extra tutoring help once they're in), I personally can't justify admitting someone who's reading at a middle school level.

They here for football first thats the truth.....they getting looked at for football. I really dont have to explain this right?? U want to win? U take care of your community and the local studs in it period.

Considering UM has like a 13:1 student to teacher ratio and a student athlete gets assistance from tutors I think Miami is a fantastic choice!

Advertisement
Back