Tears Gator Tears

Logically, what you are saying makes the most sense.

However, if you watch Lagway play, it’s very clear he is an upgrade. He passes the eye test.

I've watched Lagway play. I was at the UM-UF game and I actually saw most of the Samford-UF game on ESPN+.

Here's the reality. Against UM backups, Lagway had a 3-and-out where he got sacked, he had a scoring drive, and he threw an interception. Those were his three drives. He engineered a score 1 out of 3 times against Division I-A backups, and had the two worst possible offensive outcomes (3-and-out and a turnover) on the other two drives.

Then, against a terrible Samford team, Lagway managed to score on only 50% of his drives (6 of 12), up from 33% the week before. Also, the vast majority of his yardage came on 7 plays. So, sure, I get it, The Gator finally got into Slingblade Billy's "explosive plays" bag. Yay.

So you have to look at two things with "immediately anointing Lagway as the lord and savior of The Gator" as a true freshman. Yes, Lagway wins on "pure talent", but the first aspect on which Murda has an edge is that he has already performed against SEC teams and better competition than SAMFORD. Is it everything you want? Maybe not. But Lagway, even with projections, is still an unknown in that regard. Second, you have to consider the risk of injury and/or loss of confidence. Even against Division I-A BACKUPS (vs. Miami), Lagway was sacked on the first series RIGHT AFTER Murda Mertz was concussed. And on the third drive, after Miami adjusted to Lagway's style, DJ was picked off. So maybe, just maybe, you are risking negative outcomes for a very talented kid who might need some time (not much, maybe just a few games) to get his feet wet.

And that prior paragraph needs to be considered with the rest of the picture. WHAT CAN BE GAINED? Does anyone seriously expect more than 4 more wins on that schedule, even WITH Lagway starting? AND WHO BENEFITS? Slingblade Billy keeps his job for another year, only to NOT be given enough support for NIL or new coaches to make the payoff of "play the freshmen" work out?

It's just weird. Nobody denies Lagway's talent. ****, maybe Miami fans have a vested interest, we don't want Lagway to get hurt before he transfers to Miami. But still, I don't think it is such a slamdunk move to start him immediately after the fool's gold of SAMFORD. It's a desperate move, sure. But maybe not such a smart move.

Advertisement
Mertz threw the ball down the field multiple times v us. It got clamped. Go watch the film. This idea he didnt is like amnesia

Yes. And the two bull**** pass interference calls were downfield passes. The second one, in particular, was also an inaccurate pass that resulted in minor and inadvertent contact, it wasn't a play in which the defender hit the receiver in a desperate effort to break up an otherwise-completion.

They tried Damari Brown downfield a couple of times early and each time he was in great position
Nah, the one early on was just a miss by Mertz that made it seem like Damari was in position. Damari was beat and had no help. Mertz didn’t lead the WR and instead threw in the wrong spot where the WR had no chance and it was Damari that had a play on the ball.

Mertz can’t push the ball down the field because there is no accuracy on his ball and that was apparent in that game. Dude is a just game manager.

I've watched Lagway play. I was at the UM-UF game and I actually saw most of the Samford-UF game on ESPN+.

Here's the reality. Against UM backups, Lagway had a 3-and-out where he got sacked, he had a scoring drive, and he threw an interception. Those were his three drives. He engineered a score 1 out of 3 times against Division I-A backups, and had the two worst possible offensive outcomes (3-and-out and a turnover) on the other two drives.

Then, against a terrible Samford team, Lagway managed to score on only 50% of his drives (6 of 12), up from 33% the week before. Also, the vast majority of his yardage came on 7 plays. So, sure, I get it, The Gator finally got into Slingblade Billy's "explosive plays" bag. Yay.

So you have to look at two things with "immediately anointing Lagway as the lord and savior of The Gator" as a true freshman. Yes, Lagway wins on "pure talent", but the first aspect on which Murda has an edge is that he has already performed against SEC teams and better competition than SAMFORD. Is it everything you want? Maybe not. But Lagway, even with projections, is still an unknown in that regard. Second, you have to consider the risk of injury and/or loss of confidence. Even against Division I-A BACKUPS (vs. Miami), Lagway was sacked on the first series RIGHT AFTER Murda Mertz was concussed. And on the third drive, after Miami adjusted to Lagway's style, DJ was picked off. So maybe, just maybe, you are risking negative outcomes for a very talented kid who might need some time (not much, maybe just a few games) to get his feet wet.

And that prior paragraph needs to be considered with the rest of the picture. WHAT CAN BE GAINED? Does anyone seriously expect more than 4 more wins on that schedule, even WITH Lagway starting? AND WHO BENEFITS? Slingblade Billy keeps his job for another year, only to NOT be given enough support for NIL or new coaches to make the payoff of "play the freshmen" work out?

It's just weird. Nobody denies Lagway's talent. ****, maybe Miami fans have a vested interest, we don't want Lagway to get hurt before he transfers to Miami. But still, I don't think it is such a slamdunk move to start him immediately after the fool's gold of SAMFORD. It's a desperate move, sure. But maybe not such a smart move.
And his 1 scoring drive vs us was basically just 2 slants and a scramble where he was stumbling over himself.

Advertisement
Nah, the one early on was just a miss by Mertz that made it seem like Damari was in position. Damari was beat and had no help. Mertz didn’t lead the WR and instead threw in the wrong spot where the WR had no chance and it was Damari that had a play on the ball.

Mertz can’t push the ball down the field because there is no accuracy on his ball and that was apparent in that game. Dude is a just game manager.
In others words damari did his job!! No catch was made!

Here’s the thing, no amount of early season wins are going to save Billy when they get crushed five straight weeks to end the season. In theory, getting wins against Kentucky, A&M and Mississippi State plus UCF should give him some credibility but coaches don’t get judged like that. He’ll get judged on ending the season terribly and getting crushed by Miami. Coaches that end the season on win streaks get extended. The fans and team brass see that as progress towards something better next season. It’s the exact opposite for coaches who end the season on losing streaks, especially in Billy’s case where he ended last season losing 6 straight. Outside of pulling one, maybe two monumental upsets, Billy is toast.

Rooting for the gators to win a few games going forward.

For one, it's good for us, obviously. Not that it really matters because you're now locked into a Top 4 spot if you win your league, but that's certainly not a lock, so you want the strongest resume possible. A 6-6 gator team looks better than a 3-9 gator team.

Also, much like I said all last summer in regards to FSU, you want Billy to win just enough to give them hope and not fire him, but not enough to really breakthrough in recruiting. I was wrong on fsu, as they won 13 games, but Mike and the battle's end are so inept and broke, it didn't materialize into an elite class.

So, it's a win/win for me, personally. I want the gators to lose every game by 100, I absolutely ******* despise everything about that program, so if they get the **** kicked out of them all year, I'm here for it. Not much in life makes me happier than seeing them suffer, honestly. So that's a win. And if they do pull a couple upsets and have a decent year, that's a win for me too, because it keeps that loser Napier there longer and it helps Miami's resume.

Either way, I'm great.

And his 1 scoring drive vs us was basically just 2 slants and a scramble where he was stumbling over himself.

Correct. Two consecutive quick passes where our backups had not properly adjusted, and a scramble where Lagway admittedly showed some good balance and nifty footwork to stay upright.

So what is that, 10 plays in 2 games that now account for a vast percentage of his stats?

But, sure, he's talented, so he should be starting as a true freshman in the SEC...look, if he shows poise in the next few (harder-than-Samford) games, I'm happy to revise my stance.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was wondering what the THIRD collection was for at Mass this past Sunday...

1726072754709.png

I was gonna post this, but nothing to add.

I was wondering what the THIRD collection was for at Mass this past Sunday...

View attachment 302593
Wait so Old Miss knows that UF has collected the buyout for who Napier, Lane or both. Not sure how someone at Ole Miss would know Napier's buyout has been collected and I doubt it would not be an issue if Lane's was collected in anticipation of his going to UF. That I would imagine would not play out very well if Ole Miss already knows about it because again Ole Miss has a chance at a championship so there is no way Lane is taking any job until they are completely out of it and Ole Miss is not letting him stick around if he has already told them I have my buyout ready as I'm reading to UF>

And his INT against Miami is likely a pick 6 if Harris wasn't on the ground already.

Advertisement
Wait so Old Miss knows that UF has collected the buyout for who Napier, Lane or both. Not sure how someone at Ole Miss would know Napier's buyout has been collected and I doubt it would not be an issue if Lane's was collected in anticipation of his going to UF. That I would imagine would not play out very well if Ole Miss already knows about it because again Ole Miss has a chance at a championship so there is no way Lane is taking any job until they are completely out of it and Ole Miss is not letting him stick around if he has already told them I have my buyout ready as I'm reading to UF>

Yep. Random Ole **** fan knows that UF has already raised the $ to buyout Napier's contract and pay Kiffin's buyout for Ole ****

Advertisement
I dont think they consider what if DJ gets beat up behind that poor OL. They gonna have to go back to Mertz. He was confused at home v us when we started subbing heavily. He kept a read and in another situation would have gotten killed by Baron. When you in the desert pee, looks like drinking water. Thats UF fans. If they hsd a veteran team with elite talent especially up front, u could see it be a not bad decision to play him, but thats not them. They gonna get that boi murked

These clowns legitimately think Lane Kiffin has agreed to become their coach two weeks into the season.

Even Mario’s people didn’t seriously start back channeling with UM until October of 2021. Also, Lane’s not taking the job there.

Sorry, sir, but you are only half correct here.

"Mertz just doesn't push the ball down the field". Nope, not buying that load.

First, you have playcalls. So I'm putting that one on Slingblade Billy. Second, the line has to give you time. Mertz couldn't get time against Miami, but I can certainly understand how your line was able go give Lagway time against SAMFORD. Third, you need WRs to get open downfield. Hmmm, I wonder what the chances of a UiF WR getting past the opposing DBs might be if you were to compare Miami to SAMFORD.

So here's a simple question. Please feel free to tell us (and provide video) about all of the Slingblade Billy playcalls where he had Mertz fake a pitch, run untouched in the other direction, and then throw a short pass instead of to a wide open WR. We need all the plays where the OL gave Mertz time and the deep WRs were open.

This ONE game against SAMFORD is not evidence that Lagway "pushes the ball downfield" and Mertz doesn't. Yes, Lagway may ENJOY throwing the log ball more, and he may be more accurate in doing so. But you cannot ignore the playcalls, the OL, the WRs, and the quality of competition.

If Lagway does this for 10 more games, I'm more than willing to admit my mistakes. But I don't think I'm wrong on this. Until you show us video of Mertz choosing NOT to go deep when he has protection and open receivers, the Downfield Lagway Myth is just a myth.

im not about to shift through videos like Mel Kiper but it was even pointed out by our homie James (who has access to the All-22)

14:30-15:05 he talks about it

Now to your credit, I digress, I worded it wrong that Mertz doesn’t push the ball down the field. That’s not to say he doesn’t throw deep, im not saying THAT.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back