Tears Gator Tears

All of that sounds good in theory.

But what actually happens is as follows.

The SEC (and Big 10) start with a dominant number of Top 25 teams. And then when one of their Top 25 teams loses to another Top 25 team, it is a "quality loss", so they don't drop down very far. Even when Pedo State and Oregon struggle early against TERRIBLE non-Big-10 teams, they are STILL hanging around the Top 25.

So if a core of 15 teams just keep sucking each other's *****...the next thing you know, you'll have a BUNCH of 3-loss SEC and Big 10 teams that populate the Final 12. Sure, you'll have an ACC team and a Big 12 team and a non-P4 team...

And then the rest will come from the SEC and Big 10. Remember, they don't all play each other anymore. And only the top 2 teams in each conference have to play in a championship game.

In other words, the rankings become a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you start high, you stay high, even after a couple of losses.

Which is why the complacent "if we keep winning, everything will work itself out, man" crowd is wrong. ACC teams have to lobby to be ranked as high as possible every week, because even one loss will validate the "ACC competition sucks" crowd.
I dont want to hijack gators tears for this discussion much further. I appreciate your point of view and this being the first year of the expanded playoff it very well may play out exactly as you describe.

If you look at the final CFP ranking last season only 1 team in the top 12 was slotted behind a team with more losses than them (FSU behind Bama.) The first 3 loss team was at 13 (LSU.) Oregon and Oklahoma would have made it in as 2 loss teams from non P2 conferences, aware they are now P2 teams. The CG losers from the ACC and the B1G had 3 and 4 losses respectively which kept them out of the top 12.

I stand by the notion that the number of 1 and 2 loss teams from the P2 will be reduced by the added strength of their new programs. How the committee chooses to view a 3 loss P2 team to a 1 loss team with a major conf loss is the real question. Who gets the nod in that scenario likely will be based on the eye test. I believe any 3 loss team who caught a fat L to one of the title contenders will get passed up by a team that has not been blown out and has less losses.

Advertisement
I think if Billy starts and plays Lagway this week he can beat A&M. The Aggie offense is terrible but their defense is good. Lagways ability to threaten deep and on the ground to extend drives could get them a W. Then again … Billy is HC lol
I think they beat A&M. Florida is better across the board on offense than ND... probably at every position group.

Defensively they're a step down but Weigman looked bad week 1. I have serious doubts about A&M's receiver room being able to test Florida like we could.

Expecting like a 31-24 type win for Florida.

I could see them reeling off 3 straight here before their gauntlet. Hoping its enough to save Billy and make that W look even better for us. If not, I'll enjoy the laughs for them going 2-10 or 3-9.

I think they beat A&M. Florida is better across the board on offense than ND... probably at every position group.

Defensively they're a step down but Weigman looked bad week 1. I have serious doubts about A&M's receiver room being able to test Florida like we could.

I could see them reeling off 3 straight here before their gauntlet. Hoping its enough to save Billy and make that W look even better for us. If not, I'll enjoy the laughs for them going 2-10 or 3-9.

If they beat A&M, their delusional fan base will jump back on Billy's nuts, and claim a playoff spot for the year.

Advertisement

I can see this scenario as well. A noon kick against a team that struggles on offense followed by a road game that you should physically control in Miss St. They go into their bye with 3-1 record and come home and squeak out a tough game with UCF. Now they are flying high headed to Knoxville l at 4-1…where they promptly get reminded that they aren’t good. I can see them beating UK at home, who can’t complete a forward pass. Another bye at 5-2…followed by 5 straight drubbings. This is pretty realistic imo

I can see this scenario as well. A noon kick against a team that struggles on offense followed by a road game that you should physically control in Miss St. They go into their bye with 3-1 record and come home and squeak out a tough game with UCF. Now they are flying high headed to Knoxville l at 4-1…where they promptly get reminded that they aren’t good. I can see them beating UK at home, who can’t complete a forward pass. Another bye at 5-2…followed by 5 straight drubbings. This is pretty realistic imo
Yep. I would bet on them winning the next 3 (not putting money on it I could see them going 0-3 just as easy) 4-1 and going to Knoxville and playing TN closer than expected because they always do. 4-2 and then beat Kentucky to make it 5-2. Then lose 4 straight, maybe have a shot against LSU, but expect FSU vs Florida will be a game with 2 5 win teams for one of them to make a bowl game.

My head realizes that I should "want" Florida to win, so that Slingblade Billy stays.

My heart says **** 'EM.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My head realizes that I should "want" Florida to win, so that Slingblade Billy stays.

My heart says **** 'EM.
I think the best case scenario are a few wins and enough hope to keep Slingblade, but not enough to keep their recruiting class and to have some transfers. That guy will give us tears with compounding interest 😂😂

All of that sounds good in theory.

But what actually happens is as follows.

The SEC (and Big 10) start with a dominant number of Top 25 teams. And then when one of their Top 25 teams loses to another Top 25 team, it is a "quality loss", so they don't drop down very far. Even when Pedo State and Oregon struggle early against TERRIBLE non-Big-10 teams, they are STILL hanging around the Top 25.

So if a core of 15 teams just keep sucking each other's *****...the next thing you know, you'll have a BUNCH of 3-loss SEC and Big 10 teams that populate the Final 12. Sure, you'll have an ACC team and a Big 12 team and a non-P4 team...

And then the rest will come from the SEC and Big 10. Remember, they don't all play each other anymore. And only the top 2 teams in each conference have to play in a championship game.

In other words, the rankings become a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you start high, you stay high, even after a couple of losses.

Which is why the complacent "if we keep winning, everything will work itself out, man" crowd is wrong. ACC teams have to lobby to be ranked as high as possible every week, because even one loss will validate the "ACC competition sucks" crowd.
Remember, I’m the big ten and sec, both conference champions will make the cfp whether they win or lose. That’s already 4 spots regardless of record. And then of the top three teams in those two conferences, the one that gets “left out of” championship game is definitely in. So that’s already 6 spots. So 2 more conf champs and g5 makes 9. Isnit likely big12 loser or acc loser gets the same benefit of the doubt? Nope. Of the remaining three, the big 10 and sec will just be viewed as more deserving. So 9 total spots is gonna be the norm

I don’t see anyone on 247 calling for mertz
Me Either…I see **** fans getting all excited about a QB that went out and played a decent game against someone called Samford.Not against a better than average P4 school but an FCS school that couldn’t beat most of the better P4s backups…

Did Lagway play decent …yep…did he face upper echelon defensive players ? not so much.Now I know I’m gonna get “ well he moved the ball and scored on Miami’s defense”. Well yes he did ..sort of.Mario was running in and out the backups for most of the time that Lagway was in there and he was playing against Fr. and Soph.

We will find out this weekend just how good Lagway is if he starts cause no matter how ****** aTm’s offense showed their defense is full of those 4*and 5 * That Fisher loaded it down with and are pretty good.

What’s funny is if BB pulls Mertz and goes to Lagway and he turns out to not be the second coming of Patrick Mahomes as all **** fans seem to think he is how do you go back to Mertz?If I was Mertz I’d tell Billy “***** you ,stay with your savior and I’ll just sit here and watch and spend the million bucks you gave me”.

Advertisement
And you know me well enough to know i’m not going to say anything reckless about my squad, but my Gator fans who are still holding on to the “Mertz has experience”….**** we coming off a 5 win season (granted HE wasn’t the reason for that) and got molly whoped with him at QB two weeks ago. This a talent acquisition business and you play the better player.

This “experience” talks frustrates me from that part of the fan base:

Kelly Bryant had more experience than Trevor Lawrence

Cole Stoudt had more experience than DeShaun Watson

Treon Harris had more experience than Will Grier

Hurts was more experienced than Tua

The list goes on and on. This isn’t 1994 anymore, true freshmen QB’s play early a lot more than ever. Lagway is a 3 year QB no matter where he ends his college career at, you better get the most outta him while you can

You play who gives you the best chance to win, not who lowers the risk of losses. I’m by no means saying you play a guy who’s a risk to give the game away, but that’s not DJL, IMO. Your offense needs an injection and someone more dynamic, that’s Lagway all day. I don’t think he’s any worse which is a decent floor for a Freshman.

Just my opinion but I think Lagway’s a stud prospect who will be a great player. The arm talent and ability to move is there. Hopefully he leaves the gator.
He will make a difference in the W/L column. It’s pretty clear he has the talent, wits, and athleticism to be a successful college quarterback.

GIF montage? I saw the video of Murda Mertz getting murdered, and it was beautiful. :LOL:

Look, if Lagway puts up superior numbers against even ONE Division I-A team, I could see moving him to starter. But until that time, he shouldn't be starting just because he had one great scrimmage against a terrible SAMFORD.
Logically, what you are saying makes the most sense.

However, if you watch Lagway play, it’s very clear he is an upgrade. He passes the eye test.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No, Mertz just doesn’t push the ball down the field. It’s that simple, he’s a game manager and nothing wrong with that IFFFF you’re a team built to that kind of make up.

The play calls Saturday weren’t any different than what they’ve always been; one QB let it fly while the other doesn’t.

Miami’s O in the passing game isn’t much different from last year; they just have a way better QB.
Mertz threw the ball down the field multiple times v us. It got clamped. Go watch the film. This idea he didnt is like amnesia

The answer is right under their nose.

I Hope Please GIF

Advertisement
Back