Tears Gator Tears

Ideal scenario is lagway gets Billy to 6 wins and that saves Billy’s job. Then he transfers after spring leaving them with nothing and Billy coaching
Ideal scenario is lagway gets billy to 1 win, billy gets fired. Nobody wants the uf job so they have to pay some JUCO S&C coach $10m a year to take the job. That plus what they owe billy reduces their NIL budget to $349 a year for the next decade. Just as they get their budget woes under control a meteor strikes Gainesville destroying all athletic buildings. Miraculously no one is hurt.

Advertisement
In my insomnia, I made you guys and FIUgatorMike24 a lil somethin somethin Graham “Murda” Mertz (aka Graham Schmutz) Montage for all that chomping he did at @TheOriginalCane at the Publix parking lot on game day morning.

IMG_8902.gif

They really think they are a top of the SEC team just by playing Lagway don't they based on his play against Samford. Also technically Napier did play both against Miami. You know a bunch of them think Lagway beats Miami based off his garbage time play.

Advertisement
They let Lagway throw the ball….the game with Mertz last year they ran for over 300 yards…

They wanted to showcase Lagway…

No, Mertz just doesn’t push the ball down the field. It’s that simple, he’s a game manager and nothing wrong with that IFFFF you’re a team built to that kind of make up.

The play calls Saturday weren’t any different than what they’ve always been; one QB let it fly while the other doesn’t.

Miami’s O in the passing game isn’t much different from last year; they just have a way better QB.

No, Mertz just doesn’t push the ball down the field. It’s that simple, he’s a game manager and nothing wrong with that IFFFF you’re a team built to that kind of make up.

The play calls Saturday weren’t any different than what they’ve always been; one QB let it fly while the other doesn’t.

Miami’s O in the passing game isn’t much different from last year; they just have a way better QB.
Facts

And you know me well enough to know i’m not going to say anything reckless about my squad, but my Gator fans who are still holding on to the “Mertz has experience”….**** we coming off a 5 win season (granted HE wasn’t the reason for that) and got molly whoped with him at QB two weeks ago. This a talent acquisition business and you play the better player.

This “experience” talks frustrates me from that part of the fan base:

Kelly Bryant had more experience than Trevor Lawrence

Cole Stoudt had more experience than DeShaun Watson

Treon Harris had more experience than Will Grier

Hurts was more experienced than Tua

The list goes on and on. This isn’t 1994 anymore, true freshmen QB’s play early a lot more than ever. Lagway is a 3 year QB no matter where he ends his college career at, you better get the most outta him while you can

Advertisement

Sorry, sir, but you are only half correct here.

"Mertz just doesn't push the ball down the field". Nope, not buying that load.

First, you have playcalls. So I'm putting that one on Slingblade Billy. Second, the line has to give you time. Mertz couldn't get time against Miami, but I can certainly understand how your line was able go give Lagway time against SAMFORD. Third, you need WRs to get open downfield. Hmmm, I wonder what the chances of a UiF WR getting past the opposing DBs might be if you were to compare Miami to SAMFORD.

So here's a simple question. Please feel free to tell us (and provide video) about all of the Slingblade Billy playcalls where he had Mertz fake a pitch, run untouched in the other direction, and then throw a short pass instead of to a wide open WR. We need all the plays where the OL gave Mertz time and the deep WRs were open.

This ONE game against SAMFORD is not evidence that Lagway "pushes the ball downfield" and Mertz doesn't. Yes, Lagway may ENJOY throwing the log ball more, and he may be more accurate in doing so. But you cannot ignore the playcalls, the OL, the WRs, and the quality of competition.

If Lagway does this for 10 more games, I'm more than willing to admit my mistakes. But I don't think I'm wrong on this. Until you show us video of Mertz choosing NOT to go deep when he has protection and open receivers, the Downfield Lagway Myth is just a myth.

And you know me well enough to know i’m not going to say anything reckless about my squad, but my Gator fans who are still holding on to the “Mertz has experience”….**** we coming off a 5 win season (granted HE wasn’t the reason for that) and got molly whoped with him at QB two weeks ago. This a talent acquisition business and you play the better player.

The list goes on and on. This isn’t 1994 anymore, true freshmen QB’s play early a lot more than ever. Lagway is a 3 year QB no matter where he ends his college career at, you better get the most outta him while you can
That experience **** is a buzz word in sports. You play whoever is better unless it’s so close where the experienced guy is a difference maker as well. Even though the guy behind him is better (pause) he isn’t a jag. Same sh with the culture buzz word, just means you have better players who are about winning and do business.

The play calls Saturday weren’t any different than what they’ve always been; one opponent was Samforf and the other was Miami.

FIFY

Advertisement

I don’t see anyone on 247 calling for mertz

Advertisement

Just being honest with you.

It's not just "experience". Where one guy has more.

Mertz is a senior. He has been a starter at two schools. The reason he is out is NOT (really) his fault. So you can understand one side of the equation, for why the starter should get his job back.

Lagway is a true freshman. YES, he had a great game. AGAINST SAMFORD.

Essentially, you are talking about the MOST polar opposite comparison of "experience" for two players. One is a senior, the other is a true freshman. This isn't just "a bit more experience".

And, look, I realize that the Gator fans are immediately going to project Lagway's performance against SAMFORD to every other game on the schedule, but COME ON....

Advertisement
Back