Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
Because I was driving back from the UM game, I had the chance to listen to the Utah radio feed on SiriusXM. It was nice, because those announcers were sober and balanced and logical, unlike the Gaytor announcers.

There's no other way around it. Whittingham coached a terrible, conservative game. The Utah announcers were nearly speechless on AR-15's ONE GOOD PLAY (the 45 yard run). They correctly pointed out that Whittingham should have challenged the spot on the Cam Rising run, and NOT the subsequent play. And the 2 point conversion was unnecessary and risky given how much time was on the clock.

Over and over again, when the Gaytors' D was ripe to be exploited, Utah ran a safe running play. They had a massive edge when using multiple TEs for passing plays, yet look at the output.

Also, look at the Gaytors' four scoring drives. TDs 1, 2, and 4 were largely the product of AR-15 running and/or passing the ball. It wasn't until the 4th quarter that a Gaytor RB went for more than 6 yards on a scoring drive. TD 3 was dominated by Montrell Johnson, and Etienne had one good 21 yard run on TD 4. Once AR-15 has to try to replicate that kind of production against SEC defenses, he will hit the wall, or the emergency room.

Look, no Gaytor is going to admit it, but we all know why Oregon lost to Utah twice last year. They knew that Mario was gone. Utah is a very good team whose ceiling is at 9 or 10 wins max, and Whittingham KILLED their chances in Hogtown with his conservative game-plan.

Can't wait to see how Stoops handles the Gaytors.

I think Kentucky has just enough offense to win a lot of games but I have to believe their goal will be to hit Richardson over and over early and often and make him feel like he has played 4 quarters by half time.

Because I was driving back from the UM game, I had the chance to listen to the Utah radio feed on SiriusXM. It was nice, because those announcers were sober and balanced and logical, unlike the Gaytor announcers.

There's no other way around it. Whittingham coached a terrible, conservative game. The Utah announcers were nearly speechless on AR-15's ONE GOOD PLAY (the 45 yard run). They correctly pointed out that Whittingham should have challenged the spot on the Cam Rising run, and NOT the subsequent play. And the 2 point conversion was unnecessary and risky given how much time was on the clock.

Over and over again, when the Gaytors' D was ripe to be exploited, Utah ran a safe running play. They had a massive edge when using multiple TEs for passing plays, yet look at the output.

Also, look at the Gaytors' four scoring drives. TDs 1, 2, and 4 were largely the product of AR-15 running and/or passing the ball. It wasn't until the 4th quarter that a Gaytor RB went for more than 6 yards on a scoring drive. TD 3 was dominated by Montrell Johnson, and Etienne had one good 21 yard run on TD 4. Once AR-15 has to try to replicate that kind of production against SEC defenses, he will hit the wall, or the emergency room.

Look, no Gaytor is going to admit it, but we all know why Oregon lost to Utah twice last year. They knew that Mario was gone. Utah is a very good team whose ceiling is at 9 or 10 wins max, and Whittingham KILLED their chances in Hogtown with his conservative game-plan.

Watching the game it’s easy to see how weak the middle of their defense is. Their LB play is horrendous.

Advertisement
I wasn’t a big computer poll guy, but that’s the 1 (and only) element that I did like about the system.
Each week there was a recalculation based on past opponents games.
Theroretically, a ranked team could be idle, and if all of there previous opponents lost that week, they would drop in the rankings.

With the human poll, that’s all forgotten week to week. It’s a lazy process.
Either move up or down based on what happened that week.
However, the CFBPO committee seems to review the entire season.

All this being said, Dump the polls till mid October when there’s some actual data to input to make an informed decision.
I agree. The human polls definitely have their issues. I think there needs to be a 3rd major poll that compiles all the major computer rankings, to give people an unbiased pov.

This week alone an AP voter had UCLA, Fresno State and FSU (18th) in his top 25. He left Miami unranked. He was the ONLY voter to put UCLA in the top 25 and one of only two voters who didn't have Miami ranked. How can he justify UCLA? He can because he doesn't have to.

Last week one of the coaches had Texas ranked #1. That should be a bad joke. Of course that coach never came forward to explain himself. I remember when Spurrier caught **** for his ballot and he said he let a staffer fill it out. Shows how serious they take it.

Problem is people see these rankings and treat them as a set in stone fact.

Also, the playoff committee has to start their rankings somewhere. I have a hard time believing they're watching every team play and aren't letting outside polls influence their rankings, even if they're not supposed to.

I think Kentucky has just enough offense to win a lot of games but I have to believe their goal will be to hit Richardson over and over early and often and make him feel like he has played 4 quarters by half time.
Kentucky plays A LOT of zone, Richardson won't have the running lanes he did before and will have to hit timing routes he didn't have to against Utah. It will be a completely different game for him, should be interesting to see how he responds.

This Kentucky game should be a good measuring stick for AR, going against another predicted first rd QB. Go Wildcats

Advertisement
Kentucky plays A LOT of zone, Richardson won't have the running lanes he did before and will have to hit timing routes he didn't have to against Utah. It will be a completely different game for him, should be interesting to see how he responds.
We will see, he had a very good game and his passing while way better than expected was all world. He has a good arm and made some accurate throws. The only things I’m having flash backs of is Jameis and how we all kept discrediting his performance week after week til he was in NY lifting a Heisman. Not saying that’s what happens here but we as fans have a way of distorting things we don’t want to be true. Kid played way way better than any of us expected against Utah.

The Athletic today also confirmed what I thought I'd seen from AR throwing the football (i.e., that everything he threw was short and he didn't throw a completion 20+ yards through the air):

"In finishing with 168 yards passing against Utah, Richardson averaged only 7.0 yards per pass attempt and had just two completions of at least 15 yards in the air. He had none over 20 yards. " (Link to article.)

I don't expect that strategy will fly against most of the teams in his conference.

Advertisement
I talked it up, Rocco Underwood getting the start at LS this Saturday lol
Is that the dude with the scholarship? I sincerely hope the scholarship LS would be starting... Or not actually, would be much better for this thread if he's benched lol

The Athletic today also confirmed what I thought I'd seen from AR throwing the football (i.e., that everything he threw was short and he didn't throw a completion 20+ yards through the air):

"In finishing with 168 yards passing against Utah, Richardson averaged only 7.0 yards per pass attempt and had just two completions of at least 15 yards in the air. He had none over 20 yards. " (Link to article.)

I don't expect that strategy will fly against most of the teams in his conference.

Yeah, I posted this earlier in the thread, but it really bears repeating (and I'm not sure where that "none over 20 yards" comes from, unless they are counting the pass itself, and the one completion to Pearsall for 23 was short and then went for longer yardage due to YAC):

Anthony Richardson's "running game":
---I've already complimented AR-15 on his 45 yard TD run against a defense that wasn't defending. OK, that was impressive.
---14 yard run
---9 yard run
---9 yard run
---5 yard run
---4 yard run
---4 yard run
---4 yard run
---2 yard run
---2 yard run (TD)
---1 yard run (TD)

So that's it for AR-15's best attribute (running). One big play. A couple of decent runs (a 14 yarder and two 9 yarders).

Anthony Richardson's "passing game":
---23 yard pass to Pearsall
---15 yard pass to Pearsall
---15 yard pass to Henderson
---15 yard pass to Shorter
---14 yard pass to Pearsall
---14 yard pass to Johnson
---11 yard pass to Henderson
---10 yard pass to Shorter
---7 hard pass to Henderson
---7 yard pass to Zipperer
---7 yard pass to Etienne
---5 yard pass to Reynolds
---5 yard pass to Henderson
---3 yard pass to Henderson
---2 yard pass to Etienne
---0 yard pass to Henderson

Oh, and 8 incompletions (one was wiped out due to a Gaytor offensive holding call, probably more Gaytor-on-Gaytor violence)...

I'm not saying that you can't have a good-looking 15 yard completion, but come on. That play-by-play detail is the DEFINITION of dink-and-dunk. You can't tell me that SOME of those 168 "passing" yards weren't Yardage After Catch, no team tackles the receiver at the point-of-catch 17 times in a row...

Yeah, I posted this earlier in the thread, but it really bears repeating (and I'm not sure where that "none over 20 yards" comes from, unless they are counting the pass itself, and the one completion to Pearsall for 23 was short and then went for longer yardage due to YAC):

---I've already complimented AR-15 on his 45 yard TD run against a defense that wasn't defending. OK, that was impressive.
---14 yard run
---9 yard run
---9 yard run
---5 yard run
---4 yard run
---4 yard run
---4 yard run
---2 yard run
---2 yard run (TD)
---1 yard run (TD)

So that's it for AR-15's best attribute (running). One big play. A couple of decent runs (a 14 yarder and two 9 yarders).

Oh, and 8 incompletions (one was wiped out due to a Gaytor offensive holding call, probably more Gaytor-on-Gaytor violence)...

I'm not saying that you can't have a good-looking 15 yard completion, but come on. That play-by-play detail is the DEFINITION of dink-and-dunk. You can't tell me that SOME of those 168 "passing" yards weren't Yardage After Catch, no team tackles the receiver at the point-of-catch 17 times in a row...
They are absolutely going to have to find a deep to intermediate passing game going forward. Teams will start to play closer to the line if they can't which could lead to less success in the rushing game. I recall a few of the deeper pass attempts AR was either late on the pass or low in the dirt. Doesn't seem to have the feel for it.

Advertisement

---14 yard run
---9 yard run
---9 yard run
---5 yard run
---4 yard run
---4 yard run
---4 yard run
---2 yard run
---2 yard run (TD)
---1 yard run (TD)

They are for sure looking at it as the distance the ball traveled through the air on those passes. Basically, distinguishing a shorter pass with good YAC from a deep/intermediate throw.

But either way, and like you, me, and several others have pointed out, FU will not survive with a dink-and-dunk passing attack. At some point this season, a more athletic team with a stronger DL will force FU and AR to beat them through the air. And if the intermediate and deep passing game isn't there, it'll be lights out. And in that regard, AR hasn't shown much, if anything, up to this point. Maybe he will, who knows, but I'm not throwing him a parade over that "game manager with wheels" type performance. Especially when it's very similar to the sort of QB play FU fans will also laugh at Forfeit State and Jordy over.

They are for sure looking at it as the distance the ball traveled through the air on those passes. Basically, distinguishing a shorter pass with good YAC from a deep/intermediate throw.

But either way, and like you, me, and several others have pointed out, FU will not survive with a dink-and-dunk passing attack. At some point this season, a more athletic team with a stronger DL will force FU and AR to beat them through the air. And if the intermediate and deep passing game isn't there, it'll be lights out. And in that regard, AR hasn't shown much, if anything, up to this point. Maybe he will, who knows, but I'm not throwing him a parade over that "game manager with wheels" type performance. Especially when it's very similar to the sort of QB play FU fans will also laugh at Forfeit State and Jordy over.

Yeah, and I would also add that it's different when Barry Sanders would have ten 3-yard runs and then an 85 yarder. But Barry Sanders was a RB, not a QB. Essentially, Utah bottled up AR-15's greatest strength (running) for all but ONE play of the game, a play that had the Utah announcers dazed and confused by the poor defense.

This isn't baseball, where the impact of the home run is much greater. One 45-yard-run per game is just not gonna cut it. It's not going to give AR-15 a ticket to NYC in December, and it's not going to get him drafted.

Last edited:
Honestly, it’s not really about the defense they’re facing as much as the offense they’re up against. Kentucky might be a good matchup for them. Ball control teams that don’t score in a hurry will allow them to run their preferred offense. Heavy ground game with very low risk passing sprinkled in. If they get behind by more than one score, things will get interesting. Tennessee is going to try to run them out of the building.

I agree. The human polls definitely have their issues. I think there needs to be a 3rd major poll that compiles all the major computer rankings, to give people an unbiased pov.

This week alone an AP voter had UCLA, Fresno State and FSU (18th) in his top 25. He left Miami unranked. He was the ONLY voter to put UCLA in the top 25 and one of only two voters who didn't have Miami ranked. How can he justify UCLA? He can because he doesn't have to.

Last week one of the coaches had Texas ranked #1. That should be a bad joke. Of course that coach never came forward to explain himself. I remember when Spurrier caught **** for his ballot and he said he let a staffer fill it out. Shows how serious they take it.

Problem is people see these rankings and treat them as a set in stone fact.

Also, the playoff committee has to start their rankings somewhere. I have a hard time believing they're watching every team play and aren't letting outside polls influence their rankings, even if they're not supposed to.

All these rankings should carry a name with each vote whether it be writers,coaches or whomever….then when a coach gives his vote to a GA or SID to do it and they do something stupid like put Texas #1 then that coach has to answer for it…it will make for a more honest voting system…jmo

Advertisement
Back