Expectations For Next Year With Or Without Kaaya?

If Kaaya returns and we finish with:

McFarland
Pouncey
slaton
Bateman
Concliffe
Dean

And an Edwards or a shocker like devonta I predict 12 total wins ( including bowl).

Without Kaaya ( but those same adds) I predict 9 total wins with new qb learning curve

Advertisement
Winning the Coastal, even if he doesn't come back...

This Defense is only going to get better with the additions of DJ Johnson, Garvin, Bandy, Jennings, Wilder, Amari, Gibson, Smith & Dean.
And, I think every one of the Freshman (on Defense) will get legitimate PT next year, even if they're not all starters, they'll all play IMO.

The biggest area of need we'll have next season is OL... If we can get Slaton, that would be huge for depth, with Brown coming in & Donaldson.

I'm sorry, but Gall & McDoormat are still huge liabilities for us on Offense, Gautier needs to be the C & I'm not against kicking Odogwu inside if need be... Long ways til Spring ball so anything can happen.

But, I'm very pleased with how we finished the season & think we'll be better next year, even if Allison/Perry/Rosier is the starter, If Kaaya leaves.

Defense doesn't have a lot of room to improve, and the offense would stay the same or drop off without Kayaa (despite the fact that Kayaa isn't some world beater). First year QB in Richts mediocre pass game with this **** OL is still trouble. Need 17 and 18 OL to turn this O around.
I disagree... The Defense while they were absolutely great this year, can be even better especially at getting more INT's.

The Offense, I don't think will suffer as much as some may think if Kaaya leaves...

Whoever the QB will be, will no doubt be more mobile than Kaaya & can utilize his legs more which drastically opens up the type of run game Richt wants to have.

The passing game will be more uptempo & the QB will have much quicker reads getting rid of the ball much faster.

That improves the Blocking scheme as well, because the OL will have an easier task in maintaining the pocket for a whole 1-2seconds shorter than they usually have to... Which may sound like nothing, but is actually an eternity in play development.

Basically, Uptempo speed game, Shorter passes/quicker reads & an accelerated run game with the added wrinkle of the QB actually getting rushing yards himself...

Which will open up the passing game in the middle of the field, because that LB or Safety is going to have to decide to commit to what he thinks he's reading with his eyes, in that split second, either Walton will already be gaining 8+ yards on that rush, or the QB will be hitting Herndon (or WR) down the seams for a big gain.

Last edited:
With Kaaya we are preseason top 5 team and will make the playoffs and win the ACC . Without we are a top 15 preseason team but we have such a glut of talent around the QB that as long as Allison or Perry can manage the game we should still be the in the playoff talk and at worst win the Coastal and lose the ACCTG . And play in a big bowl. With no Kaaya that makes 2018 THE TITLE RUN .

Advertisement
Our season will be determined on if the OL improves next season. As bad as Kayaa did, a lot of that was likely because he knew he was going to get hit every play.

Advertisement
9-3 seems like a good guess at this point (with or w/o Kaaya). Still not sure this team can beat FSU, especially on the road, also think UNC on the road will be tough. They could win the Coastal at 9-3 and likely lose to FSU or Clemson or Louisville in ACCCG. Either way, anything less than making the ACCCG next season is an absolute failure. No question this team has the talent to win the Coastal. Now it's on Coach Richt to earn the admiration he's receiving from the fanbase.

i refuse to allow the thought of losing to FSU 8 times in a row. I was sick after the lose this year. I may die if we lose next year....my life is literally on the line that week.

Advertisement
According to the meager feedback from the coaching staff, it would appear that Sherriffs is ahead of Allison.

if Kaaya leaves and we don't have a QB that can read defenses quickly and lacks experience with our atrocious Offensive line we will be in trouble. Don't matter who the RB is, how strong the QB arm is we will be in trouble offensively with this oline.

Primary reason I'm hoping Kaaya comes back and I feel people take Kaaya for granted. Yes he hasn't beaten FSU, pads stats etc but he is our best option next year IMO.

Advertisement
I know many are going to hate hearing this but Richt is going to need a couple of years to fix the QB (assuming Kaaya is gone) and OL positions. In addition, until Miami fixes the running game issues, I don't see us contending for anything that isn't the Coastal anytime soon. Need these recruits to come in asap.

With Kaaya we will be a top 10 team that will get talked about as a playoff contender.

Without Kaaya we are a borderline top 20 team going into next year.

FCS patsy
@ Arkansas State
Toledo
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Syracuse
@Duke
@UNC
@Pitt
@Florida State

Bolded are the games I think we might need Kaaya to win, assuming there's not a freshman savant on the roster.

Advertisement
Back