Official Ed Reed WAS new Head Coach at Bethune-Cookman (Now Not 🫠)

Generally speaking my people don’t put things into motion until multiple voices are heard. Prime and Deion are two cases but they also consider themselves good friends so it could just be blown off. I say we gotta just keep working and keep getting reputable guys taking these jobs from a football standpoint. Not just blacks either! I would love to see other guys of other races take on the challenge. As far as HBCU’s as a whole that’s another subject
In regards to the last part of your post, I am in total agreement. Most HBCU alums just want qualified people working for their schools. Especially with athletics.

When I was in college, we hired Mike Gillespie, the former HC at Tallahassee CC to run our hoops program. The move was universally celebrated within the FAMU community. Problem was he had better talent to work with at TCC, but I digress.

Contrary to popular belief, the HBCU community is accepting to qualified people from all backgrounds...

Advertisement
Exactly. Everything has to be drama , theatre and emotion driven now. It’s sad.
gQNQtBkHgmDoA.gif

Ed don't give af what Zo liked...Lol
But that in itself is part of the problem. People should give af about what they do/say and the impact it has. Same thing with Zo's like.

NOBODY can do anything on their own. You need buy-in, support, respect, help, etc from others. This "i'm bigger than the team, school, world and im going to run to social media to express it" **** needs to stop. This same type of look at me attitude is what everyone complains about for kids and the average dumpster fire fan on social media.....but it's the parents, sports idols, etc doing the same **** that glorifies it.....so it continues and seemingly gets worse each year on social media.

I don't care if Ed is one of the greatest players to ever lace them up from the team i've rooted for since i was 8. I don't care if he's seemingly a great person who helps people and does things the right way in most of his personal life. There is a way to speak, a way to get issues out there for the public to see and fix, and a way to act as a working professional. Working, not sports or reality TV. In this case, there's a way to carry yourself in front of these kids. His Foundation's Vision is Respect, Educate, Empower and Dream. It starts with respect......and that goes more than 1 way. The social media resignation letter was juvenile......but people will praise it or copy it in their line of work.

I know, Ed doesn't give af what a working man like me thinks, just as i know you likely don't. But it doesn't make what i say any less true. I hate corruption and want all that squashed. I just believe in more constructive ways to do it, not only for the short game but the long game, setting an example for those after you.

When I saw his initial IG video, I knew it would last long.

I don't care if you are a HOFer in every sport imaginable, you can't handle things that way.... especially if he doesn't want his players handling their issues in the same manner.

'Retired Black Athletes getting coaching opportunities at struggling HBCUs' is a wonderful narrative. Players like Ed Reed, Eddie George, and Deion shouldn't have to GA anywhere, to enter the coaching profession. But, I hope these guys understand that they are under a microscope, with many hoping they fail. No matter what the actual story is, this is a bad look for everyone involved.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not sure what people are expecting at these schools from a resources perspective. Does Ed think that he's just going to make demands and the school is going to magically pull the money out of thin air? In case Ed forgot, the #1 purpose of these schools is higher education, not football. Just because a bunch of people yell and scream that kids should be going to support their own at an HBCU, doesn't mean the resources and changes needed to get there are just going to occur overnight.

Advertisement
I'm not sure what people are expecting at these schools from a resources perspective. Does Ed think that he's just going to make demands and the school is going to magically pull the money out of thin air? In case Ed forgot, the #1 purpose of these schools is higher education, not football. Just because a bunch of people yell and scream that kids should be going to support their own at an HBCU, doesn't mean the resources and changes needed to get there are just going to occur overnight.
Asking for a trash free office and practice field doesn’t require resources, and that can literally be done in 24-48 hours!

Advertisement
This is a great point. Substantive change requires a great deal of time, dedication, and hard work. If these dudes were really dedicated to the cause, they wouldn’t cut and run at the first sign of trouble.

Asking for a trash free office and practice field doesn’t require resources, and that can literally be done in 24-48 hours!
We both know a trash-free office is not the core of the issue. I'd hope for all Reed hopes to accomplish, that he didn't let the dream die over trash in his office. They clearly have somewhere to practice but not where or how Reed wants it, unless you think the team just doesn't practice and shows up on gameday. That takes time and fundraising to get the things you want.

Advertisement
This is a great point. Substantive change requires a great deal of time, dedication, and hard work. If these dudes were really dedicated to the cause, they wouldn’t cut and run at the first sign of trouble.
That's the problem. These guys who have been multi-millionaires for half their life now may have forgotten what it means to not have the resources readily available. If it was as easy as they are making it sound, it would have been done already.

I don’t love the social media aspect of it, but it also allows Ed to control the narrative about him stepping away or withdrawing his name…

Going scorched earth rarely ends well, but I’m sure we’ve all been close..

Advertisement
Back