Duke @ Miami -3.5

Advertisement
7'1 Derek Lively had a ton of blocked shots against UNC two days ago. He had 5 blocks against us, in only 18 minutes of play up at Cameron. He's a real force inside defensively, a modern day, taller Bill Russell type.

Filipowski had 17/14 last game against us. Gotta do a better job against him on the offensive glass.

Last game against Duke, Wong was 2-8 and Joseph was 1-8. Can't have a repeat of that.

We're 18-5. If Coach L was asked how many of those 5 losses could be attributed to bad officiating, my bet is his answer would be none, zero, zilch. (And not because he feared retaliation if he said anything different.)

We're 18-5. If Coach L was asked how many of those 5 losses could be attributed to bad officiating, my bet is his answer would be none, zero, zilch. (And not because he feared retaliation if he said anything different.)
All conference losses were winnable regardless of what people think of the officiating. So I guess that is a good/bad thing

Advertisement
Advertisement
That was the one ACC game I didn't catch on TV. Wow! Glad I didn't see it. The good news is we still only lost by what, 5 or 6? Shooting like that would get you blown out of most games.
I watched the first half and turned it off. Kept checking my phone every 10 minutes during the second half and turned it on for the final 5. That game and Pitt will **** me off for the rest of the regular season.

Using the word attributed, maybe… but if he was asked how many losses were meaningfully influenced by bad officiating, I’m not confident the answer would be zero.

L has been rightfully very upset about officiating this year.

Add: he’s not one to complain about officiating in the public forum, so his comments questioning the officiating in a postgame interview are a BIG deal for him. Also, you can tell he’s trying to work the refs a little more recently… which is very much contrary to his nature and core philosophy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Using the word attributed, maybe… but if he was asked how many losses were meaningfully influenced by bad officiating, I’m not confident the answer would be zero.

L has been rightfully very upset about officiating this year.

Add: he’s not one to complain about officiating in the public forum, so his comments questioning the officiating in a postgame interview are a BIG deal for him. Also, you can tell he’s trying to work the refs a little more recently… which is very much contrary to his nature and core philosophy.
Have you ever seen any HC not upset with officiating? I haven't -- this year, or any year.

As far as "meaningfully influenced" goes, iirc, we beat UCF, Cornell and Virginia by 2 points each. I'm sure Johnny Dawkins, Brian Earl and Tony Bennett could all speak at length about how a 'wrong call' (or two) in those losses "meaningfully influenced" the outcome.

National prime time game on ESPN big win could go far in the eyes of the experts. Big game for Duke as well as they hope to climb back up into the Top 25. Funny how every year the Duke and North Carolina games are gobbled up by ESPN.👍🙌
Duke is actually nbr 24 in new Coaches poll (who has us 20, behind Providence even).

Corches will be corches, and hopefully Home Canes be CANES! LFG!

Have you ever seen any HC not upset with officiating? I haven't -- this year, or any year.

As far as "meaningfully influenced" goes, iirc, we beat UCF, Cornell and Virginia by 2 points each. I'm sure Johnny Dawkins, Brian Earl and Tony Bennett could all speak at length about how a 'wrong call' (or two) in those losses "meaningfully influenced" the outcome.

A bit of sophistry there. I have never seen L so upset with officiating that he openly and directly called it out in a postgame interview.

My intent of using the words meaningfully influenced was not about one bad call. It was about a persistent asymmetry in officiating throughout the game… which has happened in a number of games this season.

Advertisement
Back