DIAMOND HEAD CLASSIC

Consigliere

All-American
With USC wounded, the tourney becomes a bigger joke and similar to our OOC schedule. Any loss in the tourney would be bad. We're going to be the heavy favorites, shocker.

-

Game #1 : Hawaii 12/23 at 1:00AM [ESPNU]

Hawaii is NOT a good team. They don't score a lot of points, they don't play good defense and they're one of the worst shooting 3PT (339 of 351) teams in the country.

They have beaten no one. Hawaii is 7-2 and they're 2 losses are to the only teams they played with a pulse (Utah and Nevada).

RPI: 193rd
BPI: 238th
SOS: 320th

Spread: Miami -14.5

Last edited:
Advertisement
Geeze man. Why didn’t we enter a single interesting OOC contest? I just don’t get it.

Don’t @ me about the B10/ACC challenge. That just as easily could’ve been Nebraska as Minny.

143136_2ee2be1eed3cc8eae1f39840340a7ffd.gif

Geeze man. Why didn’t we enter a single interesting OOC contest? I just don’t get it.

Don’t @ me about the B10/ACC challenge. That just as easily could’ve been Nebraska as Minny.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we signed a deal with ESPN to play in like 3-4 tournaments 3-4 years ahead of time (or more). We have no idea who the opponents are going to be (and no control). I'm sure Coach L assumed we'd have a better field like we did last time we played in Hawaii, and like we did last year in Orlando when we played Stanford, Iowa State and Florida, and in 2015 when we played Mississippi State, Utah and Butler in Puerto Rico.

Advertisement

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we signed a deal with ESPN to play in like 3-4 tournaments 3-4 years ahead of time (or more). We have no idea who the opponents are going to be (and no control). I'm sure Coach L assumed we'd have a better field like we did last time we played in Hawaii, and like we did last year in Orlando when we played Stanford, Iowa State and Florida, and in 2015 when we played Mississippi State, Utah and Butler in Puerto Rico.

But what will I do with all of this outrage?

But what will I do with all of this outrage?

Troll Hunting?

Advertisement

Where did you get this info, that we signed 3-4 years ahead?

The reason I ask is we agreed (in November, 2017) to play in the 2018 Wooden Classic (see the link below). This was one year before the game.

With that said, the BIG10/ACC game and any tourney are not the real problem. We need to schedule better on the games we ACTUALLY control. We might not control who we play in the BIG10/ACC game and we can't specifically control who we play in the tourneys (we can pick the tourney itself).

So ignoring those 2 things...There is nothing wrong with scheduling 2-3 OOC games (each season) against teams with a pulse. Not sure why we can't play UF (alternate each year) and 2 other good teams as well. Maybe try to play one of those "neutral" games like we did when we played Providence at Barclays.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...utah-to-play-in-2018-wooden-legacy/107968688/

Last edited:

The reason I ask is we agreed (in November, 2017) to play in the 2018 Wooden Classic (see the link below). This was one year before the game.

With that said, the BIG10/ACC game and any tourney are not the real problem. We need to schedule better on the games we ACTUALLY control. We might not control who we play in the BIG10/ACC game and we can't specifically control who we play in the tourneys (we can pick the tourney itself).

So ignoring those 2 things...There is nothing wrong with scheduling 2-3 OOC games (each season) against teams with a pulse. Not sure why we can't play UF (alternate each year) and 2 other good teams as well. Maybe try to play one of those "neutral" games like we did when we played Providence at Barclays.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...utah-to-play-in-2018-wooden-legacy/107968688/

I remember reading an article that said we agreed to play in an ESPN sponsored tournament every year for like 3-4 years. Regardless, we agree before the field is announced anyway.

I remember reading an article that said we agreed to play in an ESPN sponsored tournament every year for like 3-4 years. Regardless, we agree before the field is announced anyway.

So no source, got it.

I think the bigger issue is obvious.

Advertisement
Agreed that we'll be a favorite in every game. But winning a tournament is never easy, and this will be good practice. Middle Tennessee beat Vandy and Ole Miss already, so we know they can compete. New Mexico State beat Illinois and New Mexico. Davidson is down but still hung with UNC and only lost by 10. And I know the wheels have come off for USC. Heck, they just lost Princeton (who is also in this tournament, and who we crushed a few weeks ago). But they have some upper level talent that can put it together on any night, especially if any of their missing players come back soon (Melton? Boatwright?) We'll definitely be favored - as we should be - but each of these teams is certainly capable of playing competitive games. There could be a couple NCAA tournament teams in this field bc MTSU and NMSU are potential conference champs, plus USC could get on track in conference play. I don't disagree with anyone that it'd be better for our resume and more fun to watch if we scheduled 1-2 non-conference games against power conference teams each year. All I'm saying is this tournament isn't a throwaway.

Hawaii always can pull an upset out there, I remember them knocking off Michigan State one year a few years back when MSU was a top 5 team.

That said, I think we can win this tourney fairly easily, especially if Melton doesn't play for USC.

Advertisement

So no source, got it.

I think the bigger issue is obvious.

Yeah, I don't have a source from a couple of years ago and I'm not going to waste my time searching for it, but I like you ignore the part where I said when we agreed to the tournament, we didn't the know the opponents. That's a fact.

Agreed that we'll be a favorite in every game. But winning a tournament is never easy, and this will be good practice. Middle Tennessee beat Vandy and Ole Miss already, so we know they can compete. New Mexico State beat Illinois and New Mexico. Davidson is down but still hung with UNC and only lost by 10. And I know the wheels have come off for USC. Heck, they just lost Princeton (who is also in this tournament, and who we crushed a few weeks ago). But they have some upper level talent that can put it together on any night, especially if any of their missing players come back soon (Melton? Boatwright?) We'll definitely be favored - as we should be - but each of these teams is certainly capable of playing competitive games. There could be a couple NCAA tournament teams in this field bc MTSU and NMSU are potential conference champs, plus USC could get on track in conference play. I don't disagree with anyone that it'd be better for our resume and more fun to watch if we scheduled 1-2 non-conference games against power conference teams each year. All I'm saying is this tournament isn't a throwaway.

New Mexico is 4-8 this year. Illinois is 8-5. Vandy is 3-7 and Ole Miss is 6-5.

Ok, I found this. We signed up to be a part of this. This is from the press release for the Charleston Classic we were in 2014. So, STFU.

The Charleston Classic is owned and operated by ESPN Regional Television (ERT), a subsidiary of ESPN.

ESPN Events, a division of ESPN Regional Television (ERT), owns and operates a large portfolio of collegiate sporting events worldwide.

Armed Forces Classic (Camp Humphreys, South Korea); Charleston Classic Presented by Gildan (S.C.); Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic (Honolulu); Jimmy V Men's & Women's Basketball Classics presented by Corona Extra (Madison Square Garden & Durham, N.C.); Old Spice Classic (Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Fla.); Puerto Rico Tip-Off (San Juan, PR); State Farm Champions Classic (United Center, Chicago) and DIRECTV Wooden Legacy (Orange County, Calif.)

New Mexico is 4-8 this year. Illinois is 8-5. Vandy is 3-7 and Ole Miss is 6-5.

These are teams, that a few years ago, would have looked like good opponents. I don't fault us for signing up for a tournament like this.

Advertisement
Back