Defining June as the Biggest Recruiting Month in Years.

RVACane

Maude•Gone•Rogue
Maude
Timely as it is, I’ve recently had private conversations with others about the manner in which the hype and hope each off-season can take over expectations leading to angry disappointment on the board.

In a similar vein, I want to try to define expectations - timing, commitments… etc., given recent statements by people who carry some clout in recruiting here.

@DMoney referred to June as the “biggest recruiting month in years…” in his ATM post today. Gaby over on 247 said June 9 may be Miami’s biggest official visit weekend in the 247Sports era…” three days ago in an article he wrote. That’s more than 10 years I believe.

People have asked the question on the board today and I think it’s important to define what this means so that proper expectations are set, particularly as to timing, as I think the expectations on the commits are the 4 and 5 star top 247 and higher type players we’ve been talking about. For me, it means commits rolling in during July and August. It does not mean that we failed if the wave doesn’t happen before then.

We’re going after some of the top recruits in the country. They’re going to take visits and a number of them have visits with high level programs scheduled throughout June, particularly on the weekend of the 23rd.

What are your expectations as to when we should expect to see tangible results from the month of June and what do those results look like to you across the board?

Advertisement
Timely as it is, I’ve recently had private conversations with others about the manner in which the hype and hope each off-season can take over expectations leading to angry disappointment on the board.

In a similar vein, I want to try to define expectations - timing, commitments… etc., given recent statements by people who carry some clout in recruiting here.

@DMoney referred to June as the “biggest recruiting month in years…” in his ATM post today. Gaby over on 247 said June 9 may be Miami’s biggest official visit weekend in the 247Sports era…” three days ago in an article he wrote. That’s more than 10 years I believe.

People have asked the question on the board today and I think it’s important to define what this means so that proper expectations are set, particularly as to timing, as I think the expectations on the commits are the 4 and 5 star top 247 and higher type players we’ve been talking about. For me, it means commits rolling in during July and August. It does not mean that we failed if the wave doesn’t happen before then.

We’re going after some of the top recruits in the country. They’re going to take visits and a number of them have visits with high level programs scheduled throughout June, particularly on the weekend of the 23rd.

What are your expectations as to when we should expect to see tangible results from the month of June and what do those results look like to you across the board?

For me it means enough of these kids sign with us. The timeline is less important to me. There are plenty of kids who are just absolute about waiting to commit and taking some fall game visits, especially some big time kids who know they have a spot. Pancake Honcho and the like. Unless a bunch of our targets start to commit elsewhere, I'll be optimistic until the proverbial faxes do or do not come in. We're big game hunting and we're going to play through the whistle on the trail and then some. Flip SZN is a long way away too.

It bums me out that there are so many "fans" who just can't enjoy the process. Because they are overly pessimistic, or they just don't understand it, or maybe because they want to be that guy. It's too bad because I'm having a blast. We're landing real Miami Hurricanes again and we're competing.

I'd find it hard-pressed to think there is a single person here who'd actually bet hard money against Mario landing a top 10 class when its all said and done.

We can’t and won’t get them all. The one’s we don’t get are an automatic “miss” to some even though there’s numerous reasons a kid picks another school.

One noticeable difference, especially this year, is we’re in it for many more of the top players than in recent years. That alone should be a huge sign that Mario is doing what he does best - recruit.

Advertisement
Samson visited in June and had a great visit. We all started expecting Samson in July/August. And he committed in December. Commitment expectations timelines are hard to predict/quantify.

My guess is that of all the guys that we get officials from in June, eventually we get 10+ guys who are 4* and up. 2-5*s.

For me it means enough of these kids sign with us. The timeline is less important to me. There are plenty of kids who are just absolute about waiting to commit and taking some fall game visits, especially some big time kids who know they have a spot. Pancake Honcho and the like. Unless a bunch of our targets start to commit elsewhere, I'll be optimistic until the proverbial faxes do or do not come in. We're big game hunting and we're going to play through the whistle on the trail and then some. Flip SZN is a long way away too.

It bums me out that there are so many "fans" who just can't enjoy the process. Because they are overly pessimistic, or they just don't understand it, or maybe because they want to be that guy. It's too bad because I'm having a blast. We're landing real Miami Hurricanes again and we're competing.

I'd find it hard-pressed to think there is a single person here who'd actually bet hard money against Mario landing a top 10 class when its all said and done.
The timing is important for the purpose I defined because there are people who think that June being the biggest recruiting month in 247 era history means that June is going to arrive and all of these guys are going to commit on visits. That will lead to a lot of disappointment here. I get that your date is ESD or NSD. For many others, there’s an expectation of a wave of movement and that doesn’t start on ESD. It starts to be determinable as successful in August to me.

It reminds me of that 1st or early episode of the Jeffersons where George opens his store day 1 and swings open the door to proudly let customers in and there’s no one there.

I have totally tempered my expectations on who we get because no one has said exactly what it actually means as in biggest month or summer in school history. Total ambiguity. If we get a class like we got last cycle that was false advertising.

For me it has to be a DL class like Texas A&M brought in 2 cycles ago. But im not expecting it so everything i take with a grain of salt. Because making these statements makenit sound as these are already done before the OV's.

I have learned to live in the present. Nothing wrong with anticipating things happening in the future. However, I've seen how ugly in can be in here when anticpation does not go as expected. And because of that, I have learned to say, "such is life." Lmao. I will take it one day at a time and let the chips fall as they may.

Go Canes

Advertisement
The timing is important for the purpose I defined because there are people who think that June being the biggest recruiting month in 247 era history means that June is going to arrive and all of these guys are going to commit on visits. That will lead to a lot of disappointment here. I get that your date is ESD or NSD. For many others, there’s an expectation of a wave of movement and that doesn’t start on ESD. It starts to be determinable as successful in August to me.

It reminds me of that 1st or early episode of the Jeffersons where George opens his store day 1 and swings open the door to proudly let customers in and there’s no one there.

Honestly it's not that serious. We're a bunch of guys who hide behind some screen names arguing about college football. If some people are "disappointed" because they are mopes or because they genuinely don't "get it" it just really doesn't matter. What matters is who shows up on Greentree to work. Like I wrote earlier, if some people can't see what's happening and enjoy this, that's their loss.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

By my count, we have 25 Top 247 dudes visiting in June, many of whom this will be second-fifth trip to Miami.

My expectation is we get 8 of those with half being Top 100ish guys and at least one five star.

Not sure if that tops last year BUT it would be massive.

I have learned to live in the present. Nothing wrong with anticipating things happening in the future. However, I've seen how ugly in can be in here when anticpation does not go as expected. And because of that, I have learned to say, "such is life." Lmao. I will take it one day at a time and let the chips fall as they may.

Go Canes

University Research GIF

By my count, we have 25 Top 247 dudes visiting in June, many of whom this will be second-fifth trip to Miami.

My expectation is we get 8 of those with half being Top 100ish guys and at least one five star.

Not sure if that tops last year BUT it would be massive.
Thanks for that. When do you think we see the bulk of those guys commit?

Advertisement
Its best to have no expectations for this type of stuff, no matter what those "in the know" say.
In an ideal world but we don’t live in one. Not on a recruiting and fan board.

I don’t know what to expect beyond a top 7-10 class with some high level DTs, some solid IOL guys and a smattering of talent the rest of the way.

Thanks for that. When do you think we see the bulk of those guys commit?
July-Aug 15th in my opinion.

Last year Rashada, Ray Ray, Francis, Riley, Jayden Wayne, and Malik all OV’d in June and then popped from late June through late July. Popo, too, but don’t believe he OV’d.

So that’s seven 247 dudes in similar timeframe.

Think we will repeat due to sheer numbers of dudes visiting, many of whom it’s visit number 3-5

Advertisement
I think we have to build into the timeline that Mario doesn’t seem to like recruits to commit on the spot or at visits. That’s why I think your August timeline is fair.

BUT people can’t be hyping up June and then come back 3 months later saying “just trust the process everyone” and expect folks to not ask a few questions

I think we have to build into the timeline that Mario doesn’t seem to like recruits to commit on the spot or at visits. That’s why I think your August timeline is fair.

BUT people can’t be hyping up June and then come back 3 months later saying “just trust the process everyone” and expect folks to now ask a few questions
You understand what’s going on here. I worry about this. June is being hyped up and I believe it as genuine - for guest list visits. That doesn’t mean that the month of June will see the most high level commits happen as well in that same month. I’d just hate to see meltdowns before they’re warranted.

BUT people can’t be hyping up June and then come back 3 months later saying “just trust the process everyone” and expect folks to not ask a few questions
Agree with that

Advertisement
Back