D. Bush Starting At Safety

most sure about. I don't claim to have a crystal ball and I've been wrong plenty (Chandler over Forston...even though Forston ended up being a bust in his own right).

The thing is....a lot of people share the same opinion I do about Bush at corner and TB as a pro style QB. Time will tell but at least I base my opinion after actually taking the time to go see these kids play high school ball. I'd be willing to bet that several of the people on this board calling for Bush to play safety have never seen the kid play a down.

We're eye-to-eye on RayRay and Bush, but I continue to say Bridgewater will be a standout college QB. He was freshman All-America and the word from spring ball is that he might be their best QB since Unitas. He doesn't get enough credit for being an accurate passer.

Advertisement
This is a **** shame, wish kids could start out at the position they are best suited to play, not have to play out of position because we have no depth.

most sure about. I don't claim to have a crystal ball and I've been wrong plenty (Chandler over Forston...even though Forston ended up being a bust in his own right).

The thing is....a lot of people share the same opinion I do about Bush at corner and TB as a pro style QB. Time will tell but at least I base my opinion after actually taking the time to go see these kids play high school ball. I'd be willing to bet that several of the people on this board calling for Bush to play safety have never seen the kid play a down.

We're eye-to-eye on RayRay and Bush, but I continue to say Bridgewater will be a standout college QB. He was freshman All-America and the word from spring ball is that he might be their best QB since Unitas. He doesn't get enough credit for being an accurate passer.

I hear you...but there is a difference between being a "good college QB" and being a QB who's right for the system the Canes have always run... pro style, predominately under center offense.

TB belongs in a spread. Some might disagree with me but I don't want us to ever go to a full time spread system. It's not to say you can't use it here and there, maybe in hurry up situations just to throw people off...but I don't want that to become our base offense....ever.

I hear you...but there is a difference between being a "good college QB" and being a QB who's right for the system the Canes have always run... pro style, predominately under center offense.

TB belongs in a spread. Some might disagree with me but I don't want us to ever go to a full time spread system. It's not to say you can't use it here and there, maybe in hurry up situations just to throw people off...but I don't want that to become our base offense....ever.

I sort of disagree with you on TBW... I think if he would have came here he would shirted anyway but he was probably the best pocket-passing qb we went after... Yea I know his athleticism and he came from a spread offense in hs but he was the best pure passer we went after under both staffs... The kid isnt a run first qb... He would have thrived here especially after shirting... I mean if Ryan Williams received a scholly after running the spread at Miramar, Teddy could have made it here...

I sort of disagree with you on TBW... I think if he would have came here he would shirted anyway but he was probably the best pocket-passing qb we went after... Yea I know his athleticism and he came from a spread offense in hs but he was the best pure passer we went after under both staffs... The kid isnt a run first qb... He would have thrived here especially after shirting... I mean if Ryan Williams received a scholly after running the spread at Miramar, Teddy could have made it here...

he's waaayyyyy ahead of Ryan Williams as a drop back passer.

Advertisement

he's waaayyyyy ahead of Ryan Williams as a drop back passer.

I agree just trying to make the point of the notion of him not fitting our system when we have qbs who may have been inferior prospects compared to Teddy coming out of high school...

****, is Bush THAT bad at safety?

Y'all make it sound like he's a statue back there in centerfield. He's beyond being coached up?

I saw his Junior tape, and it looked like he was making plays there.

If he's that clueless in space, then he's probably not going to be able to play zone, either.

Me personally I don't think he is that bad but I think he has All American potential at CB with how big and physical, and fast he is. He won't get over matched by many.

Yea the thing with Deon Bush to safety is that from his 7 on 7's at the least is that his press and his man coverage looked to be at the elite level. He looks to have lockdown #1 CB ability with the size to match. His maximum potential seems to be at corner.

I think Bush can be elite no matter where you put him but I think he needs to shirt no matter what... I don't think he's ready to play as a freshman... I think he needs to learn the game a bit more. Like any freshman, I see him struggling his against veteran receivers as a true freshman... But if he shirt and learns, I think we can put him anywhere... I don't think he's ready to play right now...

Advertisement
I think Bush can be elite no matter where you put him but I think he needs to shirt no matter what... I don't think he's ready to play as a freshman... I think he needs to learn the game a bit more. Like any freshman, I see him struggling his against veteran receivers as a true freshman... But if he shirt and learns, I think we can put him anywhere... I don't think he's ready to play right now...

very true but UM has to play him and will play him because of no depth at safety..

I agree that he can be elite at either spot in CFB, but he could probably be more effective immediately in man on man at the corner spot.

kid looks a lot like Antrel Rolle physically and will probably grow into a S if he wants to play in the NFL. Rolle was a great CB in college but started to get burnt his SR year and obviously ended up at S in the NFL. gonna have to trust the staff on this one. they will get him out there asap in the spot that he is ready for

this seems to be a consistent line of thinking but my question is this--when did we develop this outstanding corner depth that i dont know about? i realize we have some names but what do they mean? at safety we have two starters--we may not think they're great but we have two starters. at corner we dont have one guy who's reliably started any games. I'm not sure i understand the logic that we have a potential standout corner and we want him to be a mediocre safety. we have starting safeties, we dont have starting corners.

very true but UM has to play him and will play him because of no depth at safety..

I agree that he can be elite at either spot in CFB, but he could probably be more effective immediately in man on man at the corner spot.

kid looks a lot like Antrel Rolle physically and will probably grow into a S if he wants to play in the NFL. Rolle was a great CB in college but started to get burnt his SR year and obviously ended up at S in the NFL. gonna have to trust the staff on this one. they will get him out there asap in the spot that he is ready for

I think he may be a bit more superior to Antrelle Rolle athletically but as a football player at this state in their careers there is no comparison... I saw the 7 on 7 highlights and he jammed some of those wideouts pretty good but I wasnt that impress to say he can be an immediate contributor... The kid needs to learn the game... What he did against those wideouts on that tape he wont get away with in college... And on the one talented wideout he faced he knew the route and still was worked... I dont mind where the kid plays, he's going to be elite but he needs to shirt...

Advertisement
this seems to be a consistent line of thinking but my question is this--when did we develop this outstanding corner depth that i dont know about? i realize we have some names but what do they mean? at safety we have two starters--we may not think they're great but we have two starters. at corner we dont have one guy who's reliably started any games. I'm not sure i understand the logic that we have a potential standout corner and we want him to be a mediocre safety. we have starting safeties, we dont have starting corners.

I agree... I have already voiced my opinion of Ray and Vt stating they are the least of our worries... I mean last year it was our corners who were targeted in the short passing game... I just think the staff has who they have in mind to play certain positions and is attempting to teach them the positions... I dont see too many freshmen beating out any rotational players returning from last year...

You just answered your own question - look beyond this year. We've recruited a ton of CBs that will be returning in 2013. Enough to go 4 deep at each CB position. Our safety recruiting has failed to keep up - we have 2 SENIORS there - what do we have coming back in 2013? Armbrister moved to LB, which leaves only Rodgers, AJ Highsmith, and 2012 recruit Jenkins returning in 2013. This is why the coaches want to see if Bush can make the transition.

Ultimately though it is a no win situation - you have a kid who is almost universally viewed as a potentially elite CB prospect who is now forced to transition to a position where he has demonstrated very little aptitude.

Honestly though, and i've said this repeatedly throughout his recruitment, i've read some troubling things here and there regarding Bush - things like his lack of gametime production (some called him a camp warrior) and even his lack of physicality and aggressiveness (despite his superior size at CB). I would not be surprised if he never fulfills his hype.

It's easier to move from corner to safety,if he doesn't make the move well,you can always move Deon back to corner.Deon will be just fine IMO at safety.He's fast,can cover a lot of grass out there,good ball instincts.Hawaiicane says he heard Bush isn't physical.Do you really think Saban would recruit a kid for his defense that isn't physical? CMON MAN!

Advertisement
It's easier to move from corner to safety,if he doesn't make the move well,you can always move Deon back to corner.Deon will be just fine IMO at safety.He's fast,can cover a lot of grass out there,good ball instincts.Hawaiicane says he heard Bush isn't physical.Do you really think Saban would recruit a kid for his defense that isn't physical? CMON MAN!

lol. Just what i read - actually, the statement was that he was "soft" which i interpreted to mean "not physical" - I guess it could mean something else. This is all just message board talk but i dont think the person reporting this stuff was a closet Gator fan or anything - i think he was just reporting what some HS coaches told him. In any case, i think the one fact that cant be disputed is that Howard is a much more proven and accomplished CB than Bush at the prep level - Bush has the higher ceiling with his athleticism and size, but that's it.

Your point about Saban and other top programs wanting him is actually the saving grace and a big plus in favor of Bush.

HammaSwagga that is the furthest from the truth he has subpar ball skills and he takes bad angles to the tackler... and to passes Go back and look at the AA game he took a bad angle and the guy ran an 80 yard td that was called back for holdin

Tom Lemming: There are three or four potential All-American DB prospects in the Miami area and I believe Mr. Bush should rank No. 1. Tall, he's a legit 6-footer with very long arms, a smooth backpedal and he can turn and run with the best of them. He's confident, hard working and goal oriented.

Nike SPARQ: 40 Yard Dash: 4.55, Agility Shuttle: 4.21, Vertical Jump: 40.2, Power Ball Toss: 40. Tom Lemming; He does a good job of jamming receivers on the line, shows good anticipation, and closes on the ball quickly. Smart, technically sound, very fluid in coverage, can turn his hips, and gets in and out of his breaks quickly. He is excellent in man coverage and does everything effortlessly and athletically. Blessed with long arms, he has great acceleration

oward wasn't the only veteran of the event to perform over the weekend. Miami (Fla.) Columbus defensive back Deon Bush also returned after helping lead the South Florida Express to a national championship last season. Bush also has added good weight and continues to be a force in coverage.

With good length, a frame that will add more good weight and great hips and instincts, Bush was one of the top players in attendance at any position. He attacks the football in the air and high-points the ball to perfection. He also looks remarkably comfortable in coverage at cornerback despite having the body of a safety.

Though Bush struggled catching the football at times, expect him to emerge as one of the most highly recruited prospects in Miami. Shortly after the weekend event, that ball got rolling.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...orida-express-7-on-7/index.html#ixzz1yQeV5BZI

Should I continue with the ESPN scouting report too?So he made some bad plays during an all-star game,where you have to learn a small playbook in less than a week.Does he need work? absolutely agree that Bush probably can't come in right away and play like Howard.But Bush is a real hard-worker and he is oozing with potential.

Tom Lemming: There are three or four potential All-American DB prospects in the Miami area and I believe Mr. Bush should rank No. 1. Tall, he's a legit 6-footer with very long arms, a smooth backpedal and he can turn and run with the best of them. He's confident, hard working and goal oriented.

Nike SPARQ: 40 Yard Dash: 4.55, Agility Shuttle: 4.21, Vertical Jump: 40.2, Power Ball Toss: 40. Tom Lemming; He does a good job of jamming receivers on the line, shows good anticipation, and closes on the ball quickly. Smart, technically sound, very fluid in coverage, can turn his hips, and gets in and out of his breaks quickly. He is excellent in man coverage and does everything effortlessly and athletically. Blessed with long arms, he has great acceleration

oward wasn't the only veteran of the event to perform over the weekend. Miami (Fla.) Columbus defensive back Deon Bush also returned after helping lead the South Florida Express to a national championship last season. Bush also has added good weight and continues to be a force in coverage.

With good length, a frame that will add more good weight and great hips and instincts, Bush was one of the top players in attendance at any position. He attacks the football in the air and high-points the ball to perfection. He also looks remarkably comfortable in coverage at cornerback despite having the body of a safety.

Though Bush struggled catching the football at times, expect him to emerge as one of the most highly recruited prospects in Miami. Shortly after the weekend event, that ball got rolling.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...orida-express-7-on-7/index.html#ixzz1yQeV5BZI

Should I continue with the ESPN scouting report too?So he made some bad plays during an all-star game,where you have to learn a small playbook in less than a week.Does he need work? absolutely agree that Bush probably can't come in right away and play like Howard.But Bush is a real hard-worker and he is oozing with potential.

Were those evaluations done by playing flag football/at camps or did it consist of his game performances? I dont think Bush is a bad player... I agree with you that he can be great here... I am fine with players red-shirting... I think if he shirts he'll be an awesome player but right now he's lacking knowledge of the game... Saban wanting him has nothing to due with his toughness and him missing a few tackles is not indicative on his toughness... I think the kid was just getting by on his athleticism alone... If he sits a year and learn the position he'll be fine regardless... I seen the kid's youtube work out tape and he is a hard worker but I like seeing guys work on football related skills when working out as well... Being a gym rat is great but I want to make sure you're a football player as well... That being said, we should not be worried about his performance right now... He shouldnt see the field... I think he has loads of potential and if he dedicates himself to learning the position a bit more he'll be great here...

Advertisement
Back