D. Bush Starting At Safety

This has been a huge point of discussion since we started recruiting him. He is definitely better suited to play CB.. I really, really don't like him at Safety. He's not a ballhawk type, but at corner he shuts his man down.

have you ever seen him play corner?

I went to school with him, and was at every single game this year so yes I have seen him play both Safety and Corner extensively

I think the dude may have the tools in there somewhere. Is it possible that coaching could come into play? It says he is "starting" at safety, but maybe they want to train him to be better in space. If you are saying that is his weakness, why not work on that first?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bush has every bit the player Sean Taylor was.

I demand higher expectations for the kid.

Please, someone up this dude. Do not quit until I'm certain that I will be completely unsatisfied with the kid by the time he leaves us for the pros.

Advertisement
He played there at 7on7 last week. Still think he's a better corner. Doesn't have safety instincts.

+1000

This is a move that reaks of desperation. I take this more as a warning sign that Ray Ray and VT have shown little improvement and we're basically in trouble back there. I'll say the same thing today that I said about Ray Ray 4 years ago coming out of Sanford....

HE'S NOT A SAFETY

Two things Jedi is sure of:

Bush isn't a safety and Teddy Bridgewater can't be a QB here.

Not meant to he a shot in anyway its just you have been very very firm in your beliefs on them.

Not meant to he a shot in anyway its just you have been very very firm in your beliefs on them.

I was even more firm about Ray Ray and Lamar Miller coming out of Killian....in all honesty those were the one I was most sure about. I don't claim to have a crystal ball and I've been wrong plenty (Chandler over Forston...even though Forston ended up being a bust in his own right).

The thing is....a lot of people share the same opinion I do about Bush at corner and TB as a pro style QB. Time will tell but at least I base my opinion after actually taking the time to go see these kids play high school ball. I'd be willing to bet that several of the people on this board calling for Bush to play safety have never seen the kid play a down.

Advertisement
He played there at 7on7 last week. Still think he's a better corner. Doesn't have safety instincts.

+1000

This is a move that reaks of desperation. I take this more as a warning sign that Ray Ray and VT have shown little improvement and we're basically in trouble back there. I'll say the same thing today that I said about Ray Ray 4 years ago coming out of Sanford....

HE'S NOT A SAFETY

Al golden walked into a desperate situation depth wise. Desperate.

I wouldnt be surprised if Bush is pressed into service out of position. That was the storyof our D last year. Desperate times mean desperate measures.

Blame the previous idiots who ran the program into the ground.

This has been a huge point of discussion since we started recruiting him. He is definitely better suited to play CB.. I really, really don't like him at Safety. He's not a ballhawk type, but at corner he shuts his man down.

Not trying to knock your hustle but I trust the staff's evaluation over yours. He can contribute immediately at Safety, and the staff probably felt he fell behind the other CB's. Let him earn some big lights time at Safety and then he can move back if he needs to later on.

I was even more firm about Ray Ray and Lamar Miller coming out of Killian....in all honesty those were the one I was most sure about. I don't claim to have a crystal ball and I've been wrong plenty (Chandler over Forston...even though Forston ended up being a bust in his own right).

The thing is....a lot of people share the same opinion I do about Bush at corner and TB as a pro style QB. Time will tell but at least I base my opinion after actually taking the time to go see these kids play high school ball. I'd be willing to bet that several of the people on this board calling for Bush to play safety have never seen the kid play a down.

Yeah I definitely remember you talking about Miller before he was a household name in recruiting.

I wanted to see Bridgewater here because I didn't see us doing much else at the time at the position but it would have definitely been a gamble IMO.

Bush has AA potential at corner back here so hopefully this is just a temporary move.

****, is Bush THAT bad at safety?

Y'all make it sound like he's a statue back there in centerfield. He's beyond being coached up?

I saw his Junior tape, and it looked like he was making plays there.

If he's that clueless in space, then he's probably not going to be able to play zone, either.

Advertisement

Y'all make it sound like he's a statue back there in centerfield. He's beyond being coached up?

If he's that clueless in space, then he's probably not going to be able to play zone, either.
Able, it's not that he is totally clueless in space but his best attribute is his ability to play press man. He is a natural at it. Sure he can be coached up at safety and can get better with time of course but why take the kid out of something he does best and force him to play centerfield if you don't have to? I guess the answer to that is we may have to.....At least for the time being.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Able, it's not that he is totally clueless in space but his best attribute is his ability to play press man. He is a natural at it. Sure he can be coached up at safety and can get better with time of course but why take the kid out of something he does best and force him to play centerfield if you don't have to? I guess the answer to that is we may have to.....At least for the time being.

Being able to play press man is all well and good, but I suspect we'll be mixing in a lot of zone as well. At some point he's gonna have to be able to read and react. We brought in 6 CBs (all of them promising, plus Finnie), and have few prospects at Safety.

Unless he mentally CANNOT play Safety, I'd develop him there. We need a guy with range at the position.

Advertisement
Back