MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
When I read football powers clemson and fsu I chuckle. Clemson hasn’t won shi t in 5 years and fsu has one good season since Winston .

What's that make us?

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

Nd doesn’t have to join a conference as long as they have a national tv contract

They gonna get boxed out, schedule-wise, when the ACC implodes. You gotta have somebody to play and the B1G and SEC ain't doing ND any favors. Why would they?

It'll go:

FSU+Clemson → SEC

UNC+ NC State → SEC

UVA+VA Tech → SEC

Duke+GA Tech → SEC

Canes+ND → B1G (some time right before or right after Virginia and VT going to the SEC)

Advertisement
When I read football powers clemson and fsu I chuckle. Clemson hasn’t won shi t in 5 years and fsu has one good season since Winston .
that means miami is horrific bc we havent done **** ever in this conference in the football side

They gonna get boxed out, schedule-wise, when the ACC implodes. You gotta have somebody to play and the B1G and SEC ain't doing ND any favors. Why would they?

It'll go:

FSU+Clemson → SEC

UNC+ NC State → SEC

UVA+VA Tech → SEC

Duke+GA Tech → SEC

Canes+ND → B1G (some time right before or right after Virginia and VT going to the SEC)
I'd bet your left nut Duke + GA Tech do not get into the SEC

Could FSU take legal action against those schools if they willfully complied with violating the ACC bylaws to file suit against them?

This is getting so **** messy. Not sure Philips can survive this.
Got me.

We need lawyer dawg to break this down for us.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ohhh ****

This is pretty much what I said yesterday about what was likely to happen.

The espn contract and GOR are likely enforceable because Phillips had apparent authority, and as the agent of the acc, bound his principal to the deal. All the acc schools know this, which is the main reason why the schools didn't include espn as a co-defendant. The slam dunk cause of action is against the acc for violating the bylaws. That doesn't void the deal with ESPN and automatically get them out of the GOR, but it gives them massive leverage against the acc in a lawsuit.

Non-football schools will circle wagons to figure out a way to keep the acc together. See BC, Syracuse etc meeting. Check.

Each school that wants out will have to sue the acc individually because the non football schools like the deal and won't join a lawsuit. Check.

So far it's FSU and Clemson. Both teams know they can get in the SEC, and espn wont sue the conference for breach of contract. Those schools know the acc broke its own rules, they could sue the acc for hundreds of millions in potentially lost revenue, so the acc will settle with them for probably a 300 million buyout.

As it stands, espn has more than enough justification to file a lawsuit against the acc and the the acc teams trying to leave for breach of contract by anticipatory repudiation (allowed under Florida contract law). Basically it's a lawsuit by a non breaching party ahead of a potential breach when the other party has made clear indications it will breach the contract. Clemson and FSU have clearly said they are planning on leaving the acc. Espn hasn't sued because it is fine with a couple of acc teams going to the SEC, as it can still make money from them. If it thought FSU and Clemson were headed the B1G, espn would be suing the sh#t out of the acc right now.

All proceeding as I expected.

This is pretty much what I said yesterday about what was likely to happen.

The espn contract and GOR are likely enforceable because Phillips had apparent authority, and as the agent of the acc, bound his principal to the deal. All the acc schools know this, which is the main reason why the schools didn't include espn as a co-defendant. The slam dunk cause of action is against the acc for violating the bylaws. That doesn't void the deal with ESPN and automatically get them out of the GOR, but it gives them massive leverage against the acc in a lawsuit.

Non-football schools will circle wagons to figure out a way to keep the acc together. See BC, Syracuse etc meeting. Check.

Each school that wants out will have to sue the acc individually because the non football schools like the deal and won't join a lawsuit. Check.

So far it's FSU and Clemson. Both teams know they can get in the SEC, and espn wont sue the conference for breach of contract. Those schools know the acc broke its own rules, they could sue the acc for hundreds of millions in potentially lost revenue, so the acc will settle with them for probably a 300 million buyout.

As it stands, espn has more than enough justification to file a lawsuit against the acc and the the acc teams trying to leave for breach of contract by anticipatory repudiation (allowed under Florida contract law). Basically it's a lawsuit by a non breaching party ahead of a potential breach when the other party has made clear indications it will breach the contract. Clemson and FSU have clearly said they are planning on leaving the acc. Espn hasn't sued because it is fine with a couple of acc teams going to the SEC, as it can still make money from them. If it thought FSU and Clemson were headed the B1G, espn would be suing the sh#t out of the acc right now.

All proceeding as I expected.

I wanna play. Let’s assume hypothetically Miami has a spot with the B1G and it too files suit against the ACC raising similar contentions.

Does ESPN sue the conference for breach of contract knowing Miami (and potentially others) are going to FOX? Can ESPN selectively enforce its rights or are they estopped from suing Miami because of inaction against F$U and Clemson? If the latter, then I would say Miami played this perfectly.

Advertisement
Back