MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Does anybody remember that one time, like daaaaaays ago, when some posters asked why the Colorado thing was so significant and how it would impact Miami?

1690495175950.png

Advertisement
Amazing what a good TV deal provides. Big XII negotiates guaranteed pro rata increase to 2/3 of its TV deal as long as they bring in a "Power 5" school (for this one, Fox agreed to a pro rata increase as well). PAC 12's inability to negotiate a new deal causes Colorado to jettison and looks like more soon to follow.

Right. I'm thinking more leave Pac 12. Worst case only 4 schools left and they might as well join MWC or something.

ACC & Pac 12 just need to dissolve.

I think they could have salvaged the conferences if they had tried to a formal merger a few years back and made a coast to coast conference. If the new conference added Notre Dame as well, that would have been quite a lineup of teams. Seems like that would have rendered the ACC NIL deal obsolete and forced ESPN to either pay up or leave. As dumb as the acc decision-makers may be, there is no way the contract says that if the acc adds new teams, the revenue splits to each school would decrease proportionally.

Probably 90% of the population growth in the State of Florida over the past 20 years (outside of Miami / Dade) has been people from the Midwest and Northeast moving into SW Florida (Tampa to Marco Island), Jacksonville to Boca, and the Orlando area. One individual did an economic evaluation and estimated that some crazy number like $100 Billion in 'wealth' had relocated from the MW / NE to Florida over the past five years. These are all people from B10 country so the B10 fanbase in Florida is most likely larger than any single B10 state in the Midwest or Northeast.
In the last 20 years in Florida, there is far more growth as a result of international immigration, and natural increase, than internal migration. There was A LOT of internal migration from 2020-2022, but nowhere near that recent rate over the last 20 years. So, it's not even close to 90% or even the primary dirving factor of growth.

Advertisement
Does anybody remember that one time, like daaaaaays ago, when some posters asked why the Colorado thing was so significant and how it would impact Miami?

View attachment 248323
Agreed that it's the lynchpin to expedite the destruction of the PAC 12, but how does it affect Miami? The only effect I could foresee is if Oregon and Washington were to quickly join up with the Big XII. That would show they are out of Big 10 consideration since they would have to sign on to the Big XII GOR.

Even then, I don't see how that pushes the Big 10 or SEC to go after ACC schools as all signs point to the ACC GOR to be ironclad for the next few years.

Ha!

From a competitive standpoint, you are most probably right. But it would still be SOMETHING for them to hold onto, from an entity and $$$ standpoint.

If the Big 12 keeps grabbing teams, they could get to 20 or more and there would be a Power 3 (from a size and content analysis, even if the SEC and Big 10 are still way ahead on quality).

But if the ACC and Pac can join forces before the Big 12 takes all the best leftovers, then you at least have a CHANCE for a Power 4 (again, solely on "quantity" even if not exactly "quality").

Big 10 and SEC are still the gold standard here, but the Big 14 and the A&P 500 (including basketball-only schools) could be the silver standard.
We won't be part of that situation.

Advertisement
Agreed that it's the lynchpin to expedite the destruction of the PAC 12, but how does it affect Miami? The only effect I could foresee is if Oregon and Washington were to quickly join up with the Big XII. That would show they are out of Big 10 consideration since they would have to sign on to the Big XII GOR.

Even then, I don't see how that pushes the Big 10 or SEC to go after ACC schools as all signs point to the ACC GOR to be ironclad for the next few years.

What in the actual ****?

First, you have to be IN Big 10 consideration before you can be "out of Big 10 consideration" by joining the Big 12.

Second, you've clearly fallen for @NorthernVirginiaCane 's falsehoods.

Advertisement
An ACCxPAC merger even after the top 4-6 teams leave the ACC would be as good or better than B12. They'd both be considered a random IM league when compared to the B1G/SEC.

Though tbh there are more than a handful of B1G/SEC teams that don't deserve to be in a power 2 conference either.

This is all setting up to have a 32 team super conference in like 2030-2040 where the top 32 programs fully are broken off from the NCAA. **** it can work like soccer. Bottom 2 teams get demoted (or maybe if you finish bottom 2 years in a row or whatever), while the 2 best of the next 32 get promoted.... That actually works really well imo.
None of that will matter for us. THIS situation is temporary.

I'd be in favor of a tertiary-rights agreement with Hallmark Channel if Danica McKellar agreed to be the sideline reporter...

It would also position us nicely for a Lululemon deal, and @hoops156 would be ecstatic!

EDIT: to be clear, that last part was a light-hearted joke, I'm just trying to include my guy hoops in the festivities, that wasn't a shot at him...

I love Hoops!

View attachment 248282
Honeymoon Suite- “What Ever It Takes” to polish off that flick.

Ha!

From a competitive standpoint, you are most probably right. But it would still be SOMETHING for them to hold onto, from an entity and $$$ standpoint.

If the Big 12 keeps grabbing teams, they could get to 20 or more and there would be a Power 3 (from a size and content analysis, even if the SEC and Big 10 are still way ahead on quality).

But if the ACC and Pac can join forces before the Big 12 takes all the best leftovers, then you at least have a CHANCE for a Power 4 (again, solely on "quantity" even if not exactly "quality").

Big 10 and SEC are still the gold standard here, but the Big 14 and the A&P 500 (including basketball-only schools) could be the silver standard.
It would be interesting to see what size TV deal they could negotiate, especially if Stanford was part of the PAC package and ND could be convinced to join.

Advertisement
Back