MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Nor should you be surprised.

If the Big 10 holds a round-robin football tournament to award bids, then Oregon has a great shot.

But if the Big 10 goes by demographics and population, there is more of an advantage for east-coast teams.

I mean, come on, it's inarguable that Notre Dame is #1 with a bullet. So if it's 3 more teams, it's likely to be ACC teams. If it's 5 more or 7 more, then maybe Washington/Oregon.
I completely agree.

Advertisement
Nor should you be surprised.

If the Big 10 holds a round-robin football tournament to award bids, then Oregon has a great shot.

But if the Big 10 goes by demographics and population, there is more of an advantage for east-coast teams.

I mean, come on, it's inarguable that Notre Dame is #1 with a bullet. So if it's 3 more teams, it's likely to be ACC teams. If it's 5 more or 7 more, then maybe Washington/Oregon.

And….taking ND and 3 of the ACC teams you mentioned would destroy the ACC as a conference competitor…if the shell even remained in existence

Is your argument that Oregon and Washington don’t have better TV ratings than UVA/UNC?

Oh my god, are you ******* serious? I really can't believe you are this obtuse.

More. Big 10. Fans. Live. In. The East.

It's not whether Washington/Oregon bring THEIR fans to the table. It's about whether the entire Big 10 population east of the Rockies will watch more and more because they have more and more interest.

Which is what the east coast teams bring. LOTS of Big 10 alums live in Florida and North Carolina and Virginia. AND you would add the fans from those schools' fanbases TOO. You simply DO NOT have the same critical mass of Big 10 alums in Washington/Oregon.

But, hey, thank you Washington/Oregon for applying and bringing your wins and bringing your fan numbers.

What about this do you NOT understand?

There was a brief window with Chip Kelly where the Ducks were "must see TV." Since then they have had good years, but people on the East coast weren't checking the TV guide to watch the Cristobal-led Ducks (#16 offense is good but it's not something that no other school is capable of doing) . I don't think UW was ever a big draw. It's all about eyeballs, and I don't think either program really gets great numbers outside the regional areas. UVA probably doesn't out draw a lot either but it is academically elite and at least is in the same general region as the B1G.

I'd be willing to be that the highest-rated/most-watched Oregon game of the Cristobal era was the Ohio Taint game.

Advertisement
Oh my god, are you ******* serious? I really can't believe you are this obtuse.

More. Big 10. Fans. Live. In. The East.

It's not whether Washington/Oregon bring THEIR fans to the table. It's about whether the entire Big 10 population east of the Rockies will watch more and more because they have more and more interest.

Which is what the east coast teams bring. LOTS of Big 10 alums live in Florida and North Carolina and Virginia. AND you would add the fans from those schools' fanbases TOO. You simply DO NOT have the same critical mass of Big 10 alums in Washington/Oregon.

But, hey, thank you Washington/Oregon for applying and bringing your wins and bringing your fan numbers.

What about this do you NOT understand?
Wait so it has nothing to do with bringing in new fans now? Lol that literally makes zero sense. Of course the B10 wants new fans. That is explicitly why their new media deal rewards them for adding new STATES to the membership lol.

Look you are obviously unwilling to accept that my argument isn’t about Miami vs Oregon. Lol it’s about Oregon getting into the B10 period. I’m saying they will

Oh my god, I'm getting dizzy from all the moving of goalposts.

First, who mentioned VaTech? YOU. And only you.

Second, how big do you think the Big 10 will go? If you think 32 teams, then Washington and Oregon will definitely get bids. If you think 20, then it is far less likely.

Finally, as for "attracting more viewers", I don't know where you're coming up with that. As I've already pointed out, Washington/Oregon have a very powerful positive of being "virginal Big 10 territory" and would garner the higher carriage rate for the Big 10 Network. As would Miami, UNC, and UVa. So that part is a draw. But the part where "more Big 10 alums live in the east than in the west" is something that you just keep ignoring.

There's a reason why "footprint" will likely determine the next few teams to join the Big 10. If the Big 10 goes to 24 or 32, who knows? But the natural limitation on getting to those huge membership numbers is NOT about "desire", it's about the SEC counter-offering certain teams.

And in THAT regard, that's the OTHER saving grace for Washington/Oregon. They'll never get SEC bids. So if the SEC takes some of the east coast teams, then maybe the Big 10 circles back around to the Pacific Northwest.
I think B10 will be 24, unless they do the correct thing and boot some current members.

I think the SEC will be 20 max

1. Show me where Oregon football doesn’t rate higher media wise than UVA/UNC/VTech. And if the argument is broader market SF, Sac, Phoenix, Seattle,Portland, all are higher than anywhere in Virginia…

Now I KNOW you really don't understand this.

It's not just SIZE of the market. It's also the AFFINITY of the market. And if most of the SF/Sac/Phoenix/Seattle/Portland TV viewers don't care that much about the Big 10, then you are ****ing into the wind.

I'll give a real-life example that I personally experienced.

If SIZE of the TV market was the sole/primary driver, then New York should have been one of the BEST markets for NASCAR in the country. Of course, I had TV ratings to prove otherwise. So when this moron from the New York Department of Revenue tried to argue "population size" for revenue apportionment, I absolutely destroyed him.

Especially when I pointed out that NYC was the #50 market for NASCAR viewership out of the Top 50 TV markets.

Crushed him.

Advertisement
Imagine knowing Miami (with Dan Rad at helm) is publicly out there as one of the first three now 7 schools talking about revenue and things that could break up the conference AND then wondering if Miami doesn’t know if it will have a landing spot in B10/SEC

Go Away What GIF by TNC Africa

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:
I think B10 will be 24, unless they do the correct thing and boot some current members.

The Big 10 will never boot members at this point in its history.

And if the number IS 24 (and assuming the SEC returns fire), then I expect the Big 10 to take Washington, Oregon, Cal, and Stanford, and for a greater number of the ACC teams to join the SEC.

Stop looking at this as a binary exercise. Move to three (or four) dimensions and see the entire big picture.

Advertisement
The Big 10 will never boot members at this point in its history.

And if the number IS 24 (and assuming the SEC returns fire), then I expect the Big 10 to take Washington, Oregon, Cal, and Stanford, and for a greater number of the ACC teams to join the SEC.

Stop looking at this as a binary exercise. Move to three (or four) dimensions and see the entire big picture.
Ay look at that we agree lol.

…so Oregon is better than most available east coast schools lol. That’s my point. Oregon gets more views than any Virginia school, and has one of largest media markets in the US. AND has the Nike partnership and I’d just an obviously better football program than Virginia schools or UNC. Cal is basically the same but better argument pulling from SF Bay area and Sacramento and basically being the same as UVA athletically/academically

"More views"? You think that's the winning argument?

You have no idea what is going on. You really don't.

East of the Rockies, the Big 10 and SEC are locked in a battle for dominance. It's competitive. You can act like this is "hey, let me compare Oregon to Virginia", but it's way more complex than that.

You realize there are limited time slots, and limited channels, right?

So for every east coast team that either the Big 10 or the SEC can snag away from the other, it allows one or the other to win the struggle.

But, sure, you think that the Big 10 is going to make sweet sweet love to Washington and Oregon while the SEC comes in and scoops up UVa/VaTech, UNC/NC State, and UM/F$U?

Let that sink in...

Advertisement
Wait so it has nothing to do with bringing in new fans now? Lol that literally makes zero sense. Of course the B10 wants new fans. That is explicitly why their new media deal rewards them for adding new STATES to the membership lol.

Look you are obviously unwilling to accept that my argument isn’t about Miami vs Oregon. Lol it’s about Oregon getting into the B10 period. I’m saying they will

Let me see if you can understand this.

1. Fans of "new Big 10 teams"
2. Fans of "existing Big 10 teams"
3. Fans who want to watch any/all of the Big 10 teams play

This isn't some ******* limitless market place where you can watch any or all of the games. There are limited channels and limited timeslots.

Therefore, if you want to be the dominant "first choice" in more markets, you can't just pick teams from any old place you want, because they "win games". I mean, give it a ******* rest. I guaran-*******-tee you that THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII would deliver near-100%-Big10-viewership in the islands, BUT IT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

If you have Big 10 fans in Florida (and there are a LOT of them), the incremental benefit you get from getting a Big 10 team IN FLORIDA means that you get better channels and timeslots, and you get more Big 10 Network subscribers. NOT JUST because "Miami brings Miami fans", but because NOW all of those Big 10 fans in Florida who might want to watch more Big 10 games, but are always finding SEC/ACC games when they turn on the TV, can actually watch more Big 10 content.

Not to mention what happens in Florida sports bars and other venues where more and more of the people seem to want to watch a Big 10 game, rather than Vandy-Ole Miss.

How is this simple logic escaping you?

Ay look at that we agree lol.

No we don't.

Because the entire premise, determined earlier in the thread, is that the Big 10 would go to 20.

Unless you want to start a special "calinative" thread where you talk about a 24-team Big 10.

Until that time, stay on topic and discuss the 20-team Big 10 that everyone else has been talking about. OR ELSE clearly and EARLIER state your alternate premise.

You are really bad at this. You are single-handedly diluting the value of my UM diplomas.

Advertisement
Back