MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
Oh it's high stakes musical chairs for sure.

I think the big ten, and maybe the SEC, would prefer North Carolina and Virginia over Clemson/Florida State and/or Miami. And that might include Virginia Tech and NC State. Those are new markets, big state flagship schools of alums, lots of eyeballs and good academics. So do you want to be stuck on the outside looking in?

The ACC has good schools and good markets, just a ****** longterm TV deal. Catch 22.

We have to remind ourselves, the SEC is under the same espn thumb that the ACC is.

What the conference wants vs what the conference is able to negotiate with espn under the tv deal are two different things

Stewart Mandel is an idiot, just like if the ACC were to add schools they would renegotiate the tv deal, the Big Ten or SEC would too
I think his point is that even if they renegotiated TV contracts, is there really enough extra money that would come out of those negotiations to keep all of the current teams at least where they are and absorb 7 more teams that would also make what those teams were making. At some point the TV networks are going to see diminishing returns.

Advertisement
“Not enough money to go around” —Bwahahaha

Well, for every team the B1G adds, they need their broadcast partners to agree to another $100M a year to keep the existing members from having to take a haircut, or its not worth adding that team. The contracts are so high now they've raise the bar for what programs will be accepted IMO.

Advertisement
Stewart Mandel is an idiot, just like if the ACC were to add schools they would renegotiate the tv deal, the Big Ten or SEC would too

Yes.

Not only that, I have frequently pointed out that the Big 10 negotiated a SWEETHEART carriage deal with all the cable outlets that would pay them nearly double (90 cents vs. $1.50) per household in any BRAND NEW Big 10 states. Thus, the Big 10 will get a higher carriage price for California, as well as any "new-new" states such as Virginia or North Carolina...or even Florida...and there are a lot of households and TVs in Florida.

The Big 10 carriage rate issue is the reason you see them looking at NEW states, instead of just adding Cal and Stanford. Or Cincy. Even Notre Dame wouldn't generate THIS extra revenue, though Notre Dame would be desired for a lot of OTHER reasons.

Last edited:
I think his point is that even if they renegotiated TV contracts, is there really enough extra money that would come out of those negotiations to keep all of the current teams at least where they are and absorb 7 more teams that would also make what those teams were making. At some point the TV networks are going to see diminishing returns.

Which is why the upper tier of ACC schools, 4 maybe 5, are looking to move to Big Ten and the remaining ACC schools are looking to partner with PAC12

No one is expecting 7 schools to go to big ten

Which is why the upper tier of ACC schools, 4 maybe 5, are looking to move to Big Ten and the remaining ACC schools are looking to partner with PAC12

You are thinking Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC and possibly UVA to the Big Ten?

What If it is FSU vs Miami for the one spot needed to bring the Big Ten in Florida?

Advertisement
You are thinking Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC and possibly UVA to the Big Ten?

What If it is FSU vs Miami for the one spot needed to bring the Big Ten in Florida?

I’m making an educated guess that if discussions have gotten far enough along with Big Ten, that Miami and FSU are not either or….. yes they’re in the same state, but that’s where the similarities end

Both have their respective tv audiences/fans and draw good ratings

Right - I do question where does it stop though. I am not saying they are there yet and I do think - to your point - that the top 4 ACC schools should be fine, but at what point does ESPN (or pick your network) say 'you know what, we are paying each school $X amount on average per year and we dont think adding another school adds another $X in value for us; we will give you $Y amount (some value less than X) extra for that school and you guys can decide how you want to split it' and then those current schools say 'maybe we don't need to add anyone'.

I’m making an educated guess that if discussions have gotten far enough along with Big Ten, that Miami and FSU are not either or….. yes they’re in the same state, but that’s where the similarities end

Both have their respective tv audiences/fans and draw good ratings
Fair enough, IMHO Big Ten wants 20 teams.
They need 4 and we know that they like ACC teams more than PAC-12 teams.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back