MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Here's the reality. Nobody actually knows WHAT the Composition Clause entails. There has been a lot of guessing, but nobody has cited what the clause actually says. That doesn't mean you are 100% wrong or 100% right, you are telling us what some people have reported.

However, the clause comes from the notoriously secret ESPN contract. And, as I've noted, there are two equally (if not more) important bits of language on whether you have to be a member of the conference to be contractually bound, and when ESPN's option exercise date is.

Finally, as reported elsewhere, ESPN is paying the ACC so little that the contract is actually a bargain and makes ESPN money. Now, one could argue that without F$U/Clemson, the contract is inherently worth LESS money, and I'd agree, but the differential is whether the loss of those two teams can be covered by the OTHER clauses (which allow ESPN to pay less money) or if it would cause ESPN to get rid of an ENTIRE raft of cheap programming on which they make money.

We will know soon enough, whether it is better for ESPN to move the entirety of the ACC contract money for 15 teams to, say, the SEC for the best 2-8 ACC teams.
I agree with all of this.

Advertisement
Here's the reality. Nobody actually knows WHAT the Composition Clause entails. There has been a lot of guessing, but nobody has cited what the clause actually says. That doesn't mean you are 100% wrong or 100% right, you are telling us what some people have reported.

However, the clause comes from the notoriously secret ESPN contract. And, as I've noted, there are two equally (if not more) important bits of language on whether you have to be a member of the conference to be contractually bound, and when ESPN's option exercise date is.

Also, there are OTHER sections of the contract that allow ESPN to adjust upward/downward based on teams coming and going.

Finally, as reported elsewhere, ESPN is paying the ACC so little that the contract is actually a bargain and makes ESPN money. Now, one could argue that without F$U/Clemson, the contract is inherently worth LESS money, and I'd agree, but the differential is whether the loss of those two teams can be covered by the OTHER clauses (which allow ESPN to pay less money) or if it would cause ESPN to get rid of an ENTIRE raft of cheap programming on which they make money.

I'll leave you with this. On my most recent Xfinity bill, I saw a credit for "RSN". I soon realized that I was getting a credit for the Bally regional sports networks that are no longer available on my "sports package". The credit was for more than 50% of what I am billed monthly for the sports package. If ESPN cancels the ACC, then they also cancel the ACCN, and they lose another form of revenue beyond the Saturday broadcast games.

I don't think ESPN will invoke the Competition Clause over losing 2 teams.

Four? Possibly.

Six? Probably.

Eight? Shut the whole **** thing down.

We will know soon enough, whether it is better for ESPN to move the entirety of the ACC contract money for 15 teams to, say, the SEC for the best 2-8 ACC teams.
Obviously, ESPN has been at this a long time and seems to have covered their asses on many fronts.

Guys… what if FSU SETTLES and never get to the bottom of the court case. Guess we’re at square ONE in the courts when we SUE?
I would think it would set the bar for other exits. It would be good if a settlement happened that anyone with a future case could use it as a precedent since any other team would be in a similar class as fsu. I'm not a lawyer though, so I don't know if settlements can set precedents in the courts.

Advertisement
Guys… what if FSU SETTLES and never get to the bottom of the court case. Guess we’re at square ONE in the courts when we SUE?
Not true ... there will be a series of precedents established BY their settlement that will apply to others. Might not be "tied with a bow" but initial work will have been done. BIGGER ISSUE is if there is a settlement via ESPN proposals that "moves FSU and Clemson out" and also restructures the media agreement and GOR to somehow lock everybody else IN for another 6 years or so. Yes it will still have to be voted on .... but I believe a 2/3rds vote gets approval. So we would have to disagree, vote against, and immediately file suit. Hope our admin has back channeled a B10 spot so we can say ADIOS.

Advertisement
Kegel exercises and back pressure.

Both are key at critical moments.
1719971813881.jpeg

Not true ... there will be a series of precedents established BY their settlement that will apply to others. Might not be "tied with a bow" but initial work will have been done. BIGGER ISSUE is if there is a settlement via ESPN proposals that "moves FSU and Clemson out" and also restructures the media agreement and GOR to somehow lock everybody else IN for another 6 years or so.

@Rickd

Think I saw where you said you didn’t think much of Greg Flugauer, but fwiw he made it clear today those “FSU to the Big Ten” rumblings his sources had been hearing pretty much dried up over the last month or so.

Flugs also said his contacts seemed convinced ESPN would do what it needed to do to keep FSU and Clemson in the fold (i.e. SEC) after their inevitable exit from the ACC.

Just passing it along for those who might be interested

@Rickd

Think I saw where you said you didn’t think much of Greg Flugauer, but fwiw he made it clear today those “FSU to the Big Ten” rumblings his sources had been hearing pretty much dried up over the last month or so.

Flugs also said his contacts seemed convinced ESPN would do what it needed to do to keep FSU and Clemson in the fold (i.e. SEC) after their inevitable exit from the ACC.

I saw that as well.

Advertisement

Someone is getting nervous that the SEC move happens and all the bs he's been spewing blows up in his face

For the lawyers in the room, I take it would be tortious interference if ESPN told the ACC it will terminate its TV agreement with the ACC if FSU and Clemson are not given their freedom to join the SEC? However, if ESPN does not threaten the ACC with termination, but instead negotiates a deal where all 3 parties (ESPN, ACC, and SEC) are happy, where is the harm in that?

@Rickd

Flagur keeps his predictions far more grounded in reality than most of the realignment grifters, but his source was a Minnesota billionaire who was friends with a USC billionaire. That source had dried up after usc to the b1g got leaked

Advertisement
If I'm correct Radakovich helped negotiate the current GOR while at Clemson, right??? If so wouldn't that kind of be a tell that Miami might not make a move at all??? This is all assumption of course.... My thinking is if he helped write it then wouldn't he be the first to honor it???
I know not.
I do know he was another UM.**** pick..

I have read through like 20 pages of this. And i see some people using deductive reasoning saying FSU must have a spot in the Big 2 to be suing to get out. I disagree, i think they are confident they can negotiate to get into the big 2 once they are free of the ACC GOR. But for them, nothing is worse than staying in the ACC. I think Miami probably feels the same, but they are like, heck if FSU is already doing the leg work, why bother spending money on it.

I dont see a scenario where Miami, FSU and Clemson essentially becomes free agents and they dont end up in the big 2, whether with a combination of ND or other ACC schools. And i think thats FSU's calculation. I think the big 2 will have all the cards and its probably gonna be half shares like Oregon and Washington.

As for Genetics, i know a grifter when i seen one. They are more common in politics discussions but that is text book grifting. You can believe his ramblings if you want

I dont see a scenario where Miami, FSU and Clemson essentially becomes free agents and they dont end up in the big 2, whether with a combination of ND or other ACC schools. And i think thats FSU's calculation. I think the big 2 will have all the cards and its probably gonna be half shares like Oregon and Washington.

Soooo… why WASTE time and not sue as well? When we’re free agents, you don’t see a scenario where we’re NKT IN. So let’s become free agents… like fsu and Clemson are MOVING TO DO.

It’s not like we just ride the WAVE and not have to sue. Sure FSU is doing SOME WORK but we’re 7 months in and FSU isn’t anywhere. Only way fsu is getting out is a SETTKEMENT. Courts take time… ACC will play the same game with us… probably EVEN MORE since no way they let us walk out easy with same FSU BUYOUT when we become the most valuable property… we will have to dance with the courts AS WELL. why WAIT a second more?

Advertisement
Back