Clements will shock you guys this season...

I agree that we are doing the same thing to him as we did Berry. It is a lot different being the main option vs the change of pace or third down option. Especially when your carries are coming later in a game when the D is tired. I think we are wayyyy overhyping OT. I like him, but I am telling you MJ will be our main RB. Kid has all the tools, good hands can block and at times last yr he looked great. He struggled after the injury but eventually came out better. I thought late in the year he deserved more carries than he got. Especially when LM started running all soft. Dont sleep on MJ.

Advertisement
Mike James and Clements remind me of each other. Not in style but substance. Both guys are great football players who lack that one special trait as runners. If everybody stays healthy I see a three-headed monster with Duke being the feature.

Mike James and Clements remind me of each other. Not in style but substance. Both guys are great football players who lack that one special trait as runners. If everybody stays healthy I see a three-headed monster with Duke being the feature.

How in the world do people make claims like this? Are you really that clueless? If you've watched EVERY down of EVERY game, you've seen Clements run a staggering....23 times. Many running backs see that many touches in one game. We have no idea how good or how bad Clements, much less can start comparing him to people. I think the kid can break out judging by the few touches he had last year. The kid had an explosive burst and ran hard plus could catch the ball out of the backfield. Either way, there's no way for any fan to know if he'll be a good runner yet.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/clements_eduardo00.html

Last edited:
[]_[]Fan2010;261130 said:

How in the world do people make claims like this? Are you really that clueless? If you've watched EVERY down of EVERY game, you've seen Clements run a staggering....23 times. Many running backs see that many touches in one game. We have no idea how good or how bad Clements, much less can start comparing him to people.

Seen him carry plenty more than that in practice. It doesn't take much for runners to show themselves.

I love Clements-- like I said, he is a great football player and he'll be a good all-around back for us. But special runners are usually obvious right away. Duke will make that kind of impression if he stays healthy IMO.

[]_[]Fan2010;261130 said:

How in the world do people make claims like this? Are you really that clueless? If you've watched EVERY down of EVERY game, you've seen Clements run a staggering....23 times. Many running backs see that many touches in one game. We have no idea how good or how bad Clements, much less can start comparing him to people.

Seen him carry plenty more than that in practice. It doesn't take much for runners to show themselves.

I love Clements-- like I said, he is a great football player and he'll be a good all-around back for us. But special runners are usually obvious right away. Duke will make that kind of impression if he stays healthy IMO.

You watch practices? If so, then my apologies, but I didn't realize they were open. Duke looks outrageous and I can't wait for him to suit up, but I'll hold my breathe as to how effective he'll be his first year, especially since he didn't EE. Good news is we finally have an OC that'll put him in positions to succeed.

Advertisement
Could it be possible that Crawford and Duke could be used like Oregon used LaMike James and De'anthony Thomas?

Without a proven QB, stud RB, or a legit deep threat, Fisch would be well served to adapt to his personnel.

Could it be possible that Crawford and Duke could be used like Oregon used LaMike James and De'anthony Thomas?

Without a proven QB, stud RB, or a legit deep threat, Fisch would be well served to adapt to his personnel.

If Dallas stays at RB, it will be interesting how Fisch uses him and Duke. Cuz I think both are so versatile you could move one to slot every now and then and create match up nightmares.

Advertisement
[]_[]Fan2010;261776 said:
U Fan2010,
Practices are rarely open to the public. That should tell you something.

One of 2 things. He's either close to the team or full of.....in my experience it's the latter

DMoney has been close to the team for quite some time, also one of the key founders of this website.

This is not the typical full of **** message board.

Advertisement
I agree that we are doing the same thing to him as we did Berry. It is a lot different being the main option vs the change of pace or third down option. Especially when your carries are coming later in a game when the D is tired. I think we are wayyyy overhyping OT. I like him, but I am telling you MJ will be our main RB. Kid has all the tools, good hands can block and at times last yr he looked great. He struggled after the injury but eventually came out better. I thought late in the year he deserved more carries than he got. Especially when LM started running all soft. Dont sleep on MJ.

yeah, and Berry had almost 100 carries for like 6.5 ypc.

EC had like 15 carries last year. he showed a couple of nice skills (vision, pretty good feet, runs low, and has good power for his size) BUT he also lacks top end speed and for a guy his size that is a pretty big limitation.

at this point there is no reason to think that he can carry the load

Clements had a nice burst on a few runs last year, but IMO, nowhere near as eye opening as when Berry started getting carries.

Berry was flat out the hardest runner on the team and ran with purpose. Clements looked solid but just remember, this was at the same point when people were bagging on Miller because he looked shot. MJ looked terrible too, so any RB with a little burst was going to get a lot of attention.

Clements has talent but it's wait and see for me. I don't see anyone on the team taking the #1 slot in the stable until Duke is ready.

Clements is getting the "backup QB" fanfare because Mike James doesn't tantalize. (Although he's steady.)

Clements just doesn't have great speed. Nor is he a big guy. I've seen him in person on multiple occasions. He's 5'9", maybe 5'10", and no more than 190. I'd guess around 185 or so. He doesn't have a special trait.

Advertisement
"I think he's going to end up being our best back as well."

The Duke might have something to say about that.

Clements had a nice burst on a few runs last year, but IMO, nowhere near as eye opening as when Berry started getting carries.

Berry was flat out the hardest runner on the team and ran with purpose. Clements looked solid but just remember, this was at the same point when people were bagging on Miller because he looked shot. MJ looked terrible too, so any RB with a little burst was going to get a lot of attention.

Clements has talent but it's wait and see for me. I don't see anyone on the team taking the #1 slot in the stable until Duke is ready.

yes, I am excited about Duke. I'm just not sure how much he can handle year one. don't want him getting killed. still think he needs some weight. if he is actually 190 now and can carry that into the season, then that should be fine and he may surprise getting a lot of work. probably only have him for 3 years anyway...

James certainly doesn't have a special trait but he's a better back than Clements. If he wasn't, then Clements would have more than 23 carries in his 2 seasons here.

Advertisement
Back