Chris Johnson Jr. season outlook

Advertisement
Chris Johnson at the 4:50 mark 👀

7SKW8bIYTc5GK2mxx9.gif

Another year, another can’t miss prospect held back by an incompetent staff. Oh wait, there are superior options ahead of him? No one is saying that CJ isn’t a talent, the issue is that no one is going to spend significant time building plays for a gadget guy, just because he’s fast.

The young man will get a shot and I wouldn’t be shocked if some things exist in the playbook for him, but as long as Martinez, Fletch, Lofton and Allen are on the roster, his opportunities may be limited. That said, he should be on kick return and I would try one jet sweep/toss with him every week, just because he’s bound to break one at some point.

Advertisement
Another year, another can’t miss prospect held back by an incompetent staff. Oh wait, there are superior options ahead of him? No one is saying that CJ isn’t a talent, the issue is that no one is going to spend significant time building plays for a gadget guy, just because he’s fast.

The young man will get a shot and I wouldn’t be shocked if some things exist in the playbook for him, but as long as Martinez, Fletch, Lofton and Allen are on the roster, his opportunities may be limited. That said, he should be on kick return and I would try one jet sweep/toss with him every week, just because he’s bound to break one at some point.
You are having a convo by yourself.. NO ONE said this :ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Advertisement
🤣 you really hit send on this. I'm crying.
The fact that this fanbase consistently picks one guy with a unique talent(but may be in need of development) and then acts like them not being on the field is a crime against humanity is what should make you cry. You’d think that people would learn from the dozens of guys that came before and didn’t work out that maybe, not just maybe, these coaches, even the ones that ultimately fail know just a smidge more than us.

Let the young man develop and stop acting like Dawson not designing a package for him based on his raw attributes is some kind of slight. Personally, I’d try to find him a role, but I also understand the idea of unleashing him when he’s ready. The young man will climb the depth chart, if he doesn’t, there’s a good chance he ends up leaving.

Advertisement
Many oversold Malik Curtis' speed at the time when he was recruited because they felt he looked faster in his Hudl highlights than he actually was. Curtis' personal best in the 100m was 10.81. Chris Johnson's personal best in the 100m was 10.25.

The estimated conversion of those 100m times to 40-yard dash times, per MileSplit, illustrates how wide a speed gap that actually is.

10.81 in the 100m (Curtis) converts to an approximated 4.51 40
10.25 in the 100m (Johnson) converts to an approximated 4.27 40

Hopefully Johnson's apparently strong performance in the scrimmage is a sign of great things to come. With Ward at QB, Martinez as the workhorse at RB, a group of very talented WR's, and a potentially dominant OL, having Johnson emerge as a change of pace, dynamic chunk play threat would elevate our offense's ceiling even more.

If he used to be a WR, wheel routes and jet sweeps should be easy for him to get some touches. He also needs to be used as a decoy. Teams will know all about his speed.

Advertisement
You can't be fast and nothing else.

Malik Curtis was fast
Malik Curtis was hyped on here
Malik Curtis couldn't do anything else
Malik Curtis transferred
I remember him just getting completely owned by a Southern Miss WR multiple times.

Many oversold Malik Curtis' speed at the time when he was recruited because they felt he looked faster in his Hudl highlights than he actually was. Curtis' personal best in the 100m was 10.81. Chris Johnson's personal best in the 100m was 10.25.

The estimated conversion of those 100m times to 40-yard dash times, per MileSplit, illustrates how wide a speed gap that actually is.

10.81 in the 100m (Curtis) converts to an approximated 4.51 40
10.25 in the 100m (Johnson) converts to an approximated 4.27 40

Hopefully Johnson's apparently strong performance in the scrimmage is a sign of great things to come. With Ward at QB, Martinez as the workhorse at RB, a group of very talented WR's, and a potentially dominant OL, having Johnson emerge as a change of pace, dynamic chunk play threat would elevate our offense's ceiling even more.
We about to run some pistol full house formations to make everyone actually like fyzical broball lol. Ward with Martinez and Lofton to his sides (lofton being able to motion all around) and CJ jr behind him….

Honestly my minor questions for this entire offense are do we have adequate deep threats at WR, and will this OLine take the next step in run blocking. Last season we were clearly a better pass blocking OLine. We were definitely good run blocking but there was a lot of room for improvement - especially given just the general body types and ability/strength we had/have. And You don’t NEED multiple 4.3 guys at WR to have deep threats, so I do think we will be fine there, but it is something we aren’t exactly “proven”. I’d really like Robby Washington to step up and beat out Ray Ray for WR 5/6 in pecking order personally.

There really is just not many weaknesses on paper to this offense. I guess the truly biggest worry is QB and TE health.

We about to run some pistol full house formations to make everyone actually like fyzical broball lol. Ward with Martinez and Lofton to his sides (lofton being able to motion all around) and CJ jr behind him….

Honestly my minor questions for this entire offense are do we have adequate deep threats at WR, and will this OLine take the next step in run blocking. Last season we were clearly a better pass blocking OLine. We were definitely good run blocking but there was a lot of room for improvement - especially given just the general body types and ability/strength we had/have. And You don’t NEED multiple 4.3 guys at WR to have deep threats, so I do think we will be fine there, but it is something we aren’t exactly “proven”. I’d really like Robby Washington to step up and beat out Ray Ray for WR 5/6 in pecking order personally.

There really is just not many weaknesses on paper to this offense. I guess the truly biggest worry is QB and TE health.
Not happening they really like Ray Ray and will have packages for him.

Advertisement
Back