CANESVILLE Twitter Space

Not the point.

Instead of a $500M stadium investment have him put 1/2 that into a trust, invest it, then dole out $15-25M a year for NIL deals.

Which would be better for recruiting? Player gets $25-250k a year depending on talent/marketability or getting to play in a stadium closer to campus?
Maybe he’ll do both? Lol

Advertisement
Not the point.

Instead of a $500M stadium investment have him put 1/2 that into a trust, invest it, then dole out $15-25M a year for NIL deals.

Which would be better for recruiting? Player gets $25-250k a year depending on talent/marketability or getting to play in a stadium closer to campus?
Damnit how did we forget you in the Most Dangerous Poster Category???

Damnit how did we forget you in the Most Dangerous Poster Category???
classified top gun GIF

Advertisement
Not the point.

You’re missing the point. Owning your own stadium means significantly more money and resources for the program. Do you even realize how much money Miami is missing on not having its own stadium? I use to work for a MLB franchise (Marketing) and know the counties of events that take place during off season. Not to mention, all the money they make on sponsors, naming rights, apparel, food, tickets, etc. Miami isn’t going to have issues at recruiting. Secure the stadium, then prioritize everything else. It would moronic for Miami to miss out on all that for NIL deals. Absolutely no shot they say no to that wonder gift.

You’re missing the point. Owning your own stadium means significantly more money and resources for the program. Do you even realize how much money Miami is missing on not having its own stadium? I use to work for a MLB franchise (Marketing) and know the counties of events that take place during off season. Not to mention, all the money they make on sponsors, naming rights, apparel, food, tickets, etc. Miami isn’t going to have issues at recruiting. Secure the stadium, then prioritize everything else. It would moronic for Miami to miss out on all that for NIL deals. Absolutely no shot they say no to that wonder gift.
What size stadium do you think it would it be, 45-50,000 seats?

Advertisement
What size stadium do you think it would it be, 45-50,000 seats?

If you look at the OB of the 80s/90s, we were able to add temporary seating in the open end zone for big games (and we usually gave those seats to the opposing fans).

So if you could hit 55K, with an extra 5K of flex seating, that would be ideal.

If you look at the OB of the 80s/90s, we were able to add temporary seating in the open end zone for big games (and we usually gave those seats to the opposing fans).

So if you could hit 55K, with an extra 5K of flex seating, that would be ideal.
If it’s a gift then Miami can just pay rent at hard rock for the remainder of the lease and play at its own stadium. The only thing I wonder is if there is something in the Hard Rock lease that could hold this up for lost concessions opportunities by Hard Rock??? I have no idea, just something to look for in the lease. In other words, is UM required to occupy it?

The stadium is irrelevant from my perspective, at least for the near future (next 5 seasons or so).

We have to get these NIL deals in line if we are going to seriously compete for players the Alabamas, UGAs, and LSUs of the world constantly poach from SFL and the southeast region.

That's job 1.

Job 2, referring to what Mario said, is to make the program elite through facilities, infrastructure and internal development structure. This will happen overtime, but should begin ASAP.

Those are the priorities. That’s the way I look at it.

A stadium is a nice to have, maybe at some point in the future, if it can even be feasible, which I think is still questionable, very questionable.

But if you don’t do job 1 and job 2, this “fantasy stadium“ that people keep talking about will be all new and shiny, but empty.

Because if you don’t do jobs one and jobs two, the wins won’t come - not like we need them to. We will then have a nice shiny new white and empty albatross.

If it’s a gift then Miami can just pay rent at hard rock for the remainder of the lease and play at its own stadium. The only thing I wonder is if there is something in the Hard Rock lease that could hold this up for lost concessions opportunities by Hard Rock??? I have no idea, just something to look for in the lease. In other words, is UM required to occupy it?

I'm not sure on what the lease says, but I would imagine that any "early termination" years could be negotiated out to future years, i.e., "hey, Hard Rock, you just lost 2 years and 12 games, some of which would have been dogs, so howzabout we give you 2 big games per year for 5 years". Again, not speaking authoritatively here, but Hard Rock seems to be trending to big annual events, such as the tennis tournament and F1, so they might prefer only having UM in for the "big events", instead of the games against Southwest Central State U. We tear up the grass equally for big games or small...

Advertisement
The stadium is irrelevant from my perspective, at least for the near future (next 5 seasons or so).

We have to get these NIL deals in line if we are going to seriously compete for players the Alabamas, UGAs, and LSUs of the world constantly poach from SFL and the southeast region.

That's job 1.

Job 2, referring to what Mario said, is to make the program elite through facilities, infrastructure and internal development structure. This will happen overtime, but should begin ASAP.

Those are the priorities. That’s the way I look at it.

A stadium is a nice to have, maybe at some point in the future, if it can even be feasible, which I think is still questionable, very questionable.

But if you don’t do job 1 and job 2, this “fantasy stadium“ that people keep talking about will be all new and shiny, but empty.

Because if you don’t do jobs one and jobs two, the wins won’t come - not like we need them to. We will then have a nice shiny new white and empty albatross.

Nothing that you say is wrong.

I think that the possibility of RuizBucks funding the stadium has changed the rules of discussion, and the rules of priorities. If Ruiz has enough cash to spend, then maybe Radakovich isn't stuck in a ton of meetings over the next couple of years.

I think that all the pro-stadium people have ever wanted is to not have an immediate and violent "no, it'll never happen" response from the same few dozen posters. You are right, it will take years to get done IF it ever happens, but it will also never happen if we can never talk about it.

I'm hoping for a two-track system. Mario/Dan handle on-campus issues and infrastructure. The Ruiz Family and their Committee of SuperAlums handle the stadium. Occasionally, there are joint meetings between the two groups.

Feasible?

The Dolphins make less than $5M per year off the Hurricanes excluding naming rights ... UM gets the ticket and apparel revenue already so that makes zero sense you mentioned that. You also live in some fantasyland where Miami-Dade is just going to allow a stadium built on county land within a county park and receive zero portion of revenues? Stick to marketing b/c finance apparently isn't your thing.

Nothing that you say is wrong.

I think that the possibility of RuizBucks funding the stadium has changed the rules of discussion, and the rules of priorities. If Ruiz has enough cash to spend, then maybe Radakovich isn't stuck in a ton of meetings over the next couple of years.

I think that all the pro-stadium people have ever wanted is to not have an immediate and violent "no, it'll never happen" response from the same few dozen posters. You are right, it will take years to get done IF it ever happens, but it will also never happen if we can never talk about it.

I'm hoping for a two-track system. Mario/Dan handle on-campus issues and infrastructure. The Ruiz Family and their Committee of SuperAlums handle the stadium. Occasionally, there are joint meetings between the two groups.

Feasible?

I want NIL, done properly, to be the Ruiz focus.

That’s where we get the most bang for the buck. Short term and long term.

Advertisement

It’s a given that The University of Miami should not be in the business of owning, operating, and maintaining a football stadium. It would require an entirely new entity to operate said stadium and require a massive financial investment to just maintain it.

IF Ruiz can get one built, and that’s a big IF IMO, the only way the University benefits more than it’s current situation at HRS is if the owners of a new stadium were to give Miami “sweetheart” deals regarding lease agreements, merchandising, ticket sales, concessions, etc and it would require more events than 6-7 football games a year to keep the stadium viable.

I have no idea what the University currently receives from HRS financially but I can say with certainty that once the details were worked out with the City of Miami - owners of the OB - the University profited well from it’s games held there. And all they had to do was show up on game days.

Fair. However, Ruiz is not going to spend anywhere near on NIL what he wants to spend on a stadium. He wants legacy. He wants his name a building. A big building.

Let the man spend his money. The man will have enough money to empty two wallets at the same time. I'm not gonna try to stop him.

Fair. However, Ruiz is not going to spend anywhere near on NIL what he wants to spend on a stadium. He wants legacy. He wants his name a building. A big building.

Let the man spend his money. The man will have enough money to empty two wallets at the same time. I'm not gonna try to stop him.

We can give him legacy without necessarily building a stadium. Lots of buildings to be built on campus.

But don’t get me wrong, I don’t object to the prospects of a stadium being investigated, but I want to see enough money go to work and help us today and in the long term. Something that translates to wins.

It’s a given that The University of Miami should not be in the business of owning, operating, and maintaining a football stadium. It would require an entirely new entity to operate said stadium and require a massive financial investment to just maintain it.

IF Ruiz can get one built, and that’s a big IF IMO, the only way the University benefits more than it’s current situation at HRS is if the owners of a new stadium were to give Miami “sweetheart” deals regarding lease agreements, merchandising, ticket sales, concessions, etc and it would require more events than 6-7 football games a year to keep the stadium viable.

I have no idea what the University currently receives from HRS financially but I can say with certainty that once the details were worked out with the City of Miami - owners of the OB - the University profited well from it’s games held there. And all they had to do was show up on game days.

If I remember correctly, you have a lot of inside information into how our deal operated with the Orange bowl due to a family member (your dad, IIRC)

Advertisement
Back