CANESVILLE Twitter Space

If I remember correctly, you have a lot of inside information into how our deal operated with the Orange bowl due to a family member (your dad, IIRC)
My father was the OB Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. Although I wasn’t privy to the exact financials, my father would tell me about a lot of the challenges he faced on a daily basis just maintaining that facility and keeping over 100 full time employees motivated. He would also share some insight about the relationships between the University and the Dolphins when they came to town. The City of Miami owned the OB which presented it’s own unique challenges.

Times have certainly changed since he retired. I would say the challenges he faced managing a stadium the size of the OB are exponentially greater these days. That’s why I truly believe Ruiz has got his work cut out for him. First and obviously foremost, obtaining the land to build a stadium. Remember what Robbie went through building HRS. And he at least had some idea about how a stadium operates.

Starting from scratch will be a massive challenge for Ruiz.

Advertisement
My father was the OB Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. Although I wasn’t privy to the exact financials, my father would tell me about a lot of the challenges he faced on a daily basis just maintaining that facility and keeping over 100 full time employees motivated. He would also share some insight about the relationships between the University and the Dolphins when they came to town. The City of Miami owned the OB which presented it’s own unique challenges.

Times have certainly changed since he retired. I would say the challenges he faced managing a stadium the size of the OB are exponentially greater these days. That’s why I truly believe Ruiz has got his work cut out for him. First and obviously foremost, obtaining the land to build a stadium. Remember what Robbie went through building HRS. And he at least had some idea about how a stadium operates.

Totally agree. Even under the optimal circumstances and with clear sailing, which is not where this is right now anyway, but assuming that, we’re not even going to step in to that stadium for at least seven or eight years.

If it even happens.

Again, that’s assuming everything is perfect and goes smoothly, which we both know it won’t.

This is so far away in the future, I would venture to say that Mario wouldn’t even be our coach on that day.

So that’s sort of my pet peeve about this whole thing, let’s set up things and processes that help us to win starting in 2022. And that’s NIL, not a stadium.

The Dolphins make less than $5M per year off the Hurricanes excluding naming rights ... UM gets the ticket and apparel revenue already so that makes zero sense you mentioned that. You also live in some fantasyland where Miami-Dade is just going to allow a stadium built on county land within a county park and receive zero portion of revenues? Stick to marketing b/c finance apparently isn't your thing.
I bring it up because the University will be profiting on more ticket sales, more apparel (lol at apparel options at HR), parking, concession/alcohol, etc. There is no comparison. County will negotiate to receive revenue but nothing compared to the benefits the University will be benefiting from the stadium. If your argument is renting is a better financial investment than owning then don’t talk about finance.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Even under the optimal circumstances and with clear sailing, which is not where this is right now anyway, but assuming that, we’re not even going to step in to that stadium for at least seven or eight years.

If it even happens.

Again, that’s assuming everything is perfect and goes smoothly, which we both know it won’t.

This is so far away in the future, I would venture to say that Mario wouldn’t even be our coach on that day.

So that’s sort of my pet peeve about this whole thing, let’s set up things and processes that help us to win starting in 2022. And that’s NIL, not a stadium.
100% agree. Mario has plenty on his plate as it is. Whether or not a new stadium is built should be the last thing he needs to concern himself with.

I bring it up because the University will be profiting on more ticket sales, more apparel (lol at apparel options at HR), parking, concession/alcohol, etc. There is no comparison. County will negotiate to receive revenue but nothing compared to the benefits the University will be benefiting from the stadium. If your argument is renting is a better financial investment than owning then don’t talk about finance.
#1 UM gets 100% of the ticket/parking revenue at HRS. Steven Ross makes $4-5M a year off the lease including his cut of concessions.

#2 There are many instances where renting is better than buying ... hence the saying "if you can fly it, float it, or **** it its better to rent than own". Even home ownership is simply a forced method of savings and in many cases it could easily be argued that renting and investing the difference would net a LOT more $ over time.

#3 So UM is going to have an apparel sales windfall at this "new" store at the stadium vs the HRS stadium? Who the **** even buys at the stadium when you can buy at CanesWear, AllCanes, and the UM bookstore.

I'm a CFP, have a finance degree, and manage a hedge fund so I'll talk about finance all day if you'd like.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nothing that you say is wrong.

I think that the possibility of RuizBucks funding the stadium has changed the rules of discussion, and the rules of priorities. If Ruiz has enough cash to spend, then maybe Radakovich isn't stuck in a ton of meetings over the next couple of years.

I think that all the pro-stadium people have ever wanted is to not have an immediate and violent "no, it'll never happen" response from the same few dozen posters. You are right, it will take years to get done IF it ever happens, but it will also never happen if we can never talk about it.

I'm hoping for a two-track system. Mario/Dan handle on-campus issues and infrastructure. The Ruiz Family and their Committee of SuperAlums handle the stadium. Occasionally, there are joint meetings between the two groups.

Feasible?
Maybe Ruiz should get into crypto and create his own. Call it "Coincane" 😜
Defi GIF by YIELD

#1 UM gets 100% of the ticket parking revenue at HRS. Steven Ross makes $4-5M a year off the lease including his cut of concessions.

#2 There are many instances where renting is better than buying ... hence the saying "if you can fly it, float it, or **** it its better to rent than own". Even home ownership is simply a forced method of savings and in many cases it could easily be argued that renting and investing the difference would net a LOT more $ over time.

#3 So UM is going to have an apparel sales windfall at this "new" store at the stadium vs the HRS stadium? Who the **** even buys at the stadium when you can buy at CanesWear, AllCanes, and the UM bookstore.

I'm a CFP, have a finance degree, and manage a hedge fund so I'll talk about finance all day if you'd like.
Yet, you have not brought a single valid argument as to why Miami shouldn’t own it’s own stadium compared to leasing a stadium. You’re really embarrassing yourself. This isn’t a boat, plane or car. Keep reaching.

By your idiotic logic, Miami Basketball should lease from the AAA and not own it’s own BUC arena and miss out on the other countless events they host? GTFOH.

Either way, it doesn’t matter. Miami isn’t turning down this amazing gift and opportunity.

Yet, you have not brought a single valid argument as to why Miami shouldn’t own it’s own stadium compared to leasing a stadium. You’re really embarrassing yourself. This isn’t a boat, plane or car. Keep reaching.

By your idiotic logic, Miami Basketball should lease from the AAA and not own it’s own BUC arena and miss out on the other countless events they host? GTFOH.

Either way, it doesn’t matter. Miami isn’t turning down this amazing gift and opportunity.
My original reply to your dumbass comment was that it would be MUCH BETTER for the program for Ruiz to just put the so called stadium money into investments and use the interest for NIL and other facility upgrades.

You have somehow thrown a whole bunch of **** against the wall (new stadium = more ticket, parking, and apparel revenue) which are false and then tried to insult my knowledge of finance with your rent vs own commentary.

If he wants to do both then by all means build the stadium.

If he isn't doing both, then a stadium is far down the list of ROI for the program behind NIL, coaching/analysts/support staff, and on campus facility upgrades.

You Lose Good Day GIF

Someday soon, you'll have to regale us with some funny stories about the dolphin tank...

Advertisement
#1 UM gets 100% of the ticket/parking revenue at HRS. Steven Ross makes $4-5M a year off the lease including his cut of concessions.

As to #3, you need to look into the more "modern" arrangements that are being created. Fanatics (the company) operates many of the apparel stores/websites connected to stadiums/teams now. You might be surprised by how many people make on-site purchases when the merchandise is available and displayed properly, and not treated as if it is a rock concert, with a choice of 4 whole t-shirts pinned to a corkboard behind the rollaway counter.

Also, now that Fanatics owns so much of the apparel "process", you see a lot more single-event-oriented merch. For instance, let's say they printed up a bunch of "Welcome Home Mario" t-shirts for the first game, then they sell out, they could still take orders and mail you the shirt later. Fanatics is really shaking up the team merch "normal way of doing business".

Didn't mean to bore anyone, but merch sales are booming, and not just at Fanatics-affiliated websites. ****, if you compare what the UM Bookstore sells TODAY to even what we had in the 90s/00s (even the Nike years), it's shocking. And it's not all adidas.

Now, I am still hopeful that Dan Radakovich will do a deal with Solo Stove, so I can buy a UM-logo fire pit.

Someday soon, you'll have to regale us with some funny stories about the dolphin tank...
That tank was guarded like Fort Knox. There were off-duty police officers stationed 7 nights a week and the trainers were there 7 days a week. The only accesses into the stadium were the entrance gates and my fathers office door - the SE corner - and all were locked up tighter than a drum. I honestly don’t recall him telling me of any break ins or anybody messing with Flipper.

There were a few times that you may have heard about with fans trying to get to the tank during games. There were always at least 6 officers assigned solely to guard the tank and of course the trainers were there as well. Needless to say, attempts to visit Flipper were dealt with swiftly with dire consequences. LOL

I did get to feed Flipper a few times and every time I did, as soon as I handed him a sardine, he’d take his right fin and splash me and then laugh at me. LOL. The trainers said he never did that to anyone else and had no explanation for it.

Advertisement
That tank was guarded like Fort Knox. There were off-duty police officers stationed 7 nights a week and the trainers were there 7 days a week. The only accesses into the stadium were the entrance gates and my fathers office door - the SE corner - and all were locked up tighter than a drum. I honestly don’t recall him telling me of any break ins or anybody messing with Flipper.

There were a few times that you may have heard about with fans trying to get to the tank during games. There were always at least 6 officers assigned solely to guard the tank and of course the trainers were there as well. Needless to say, attempts to visit Flipper were dealt with swiftly with dire consequences. LOL

I did get to feed Flipper a few times and every time I did, as soon as I handed him a sardine, he’d take his right fin and splash me and then laugh at me. LOL. The trainers said he never did that to anyone else and had no explanation for it.

Amazing. Thank you!

So then you're saying all that stuff in Ace Ventura was a bunch of bullcrap...

But seriously, I'm glad to hear that Flipper had a good sense of humor. It's always sad to hear about dolphins living in sub-prime situations. My brother-in-law-in-law (sister-in-law's brother) is a dolphin trainer, and I am TRYING to get my niece to pick UM-RSMAS over UF-Zoology.

Amazing. Thank you!

So then you're saying all that stuff in Ace Ventura was a bunch of bullcrap...

But seriously, I'm glad to hear that Flipper had a good sense of humor. It's always sad to hear about dolphins living in sub-prime situations. My brother-in-law-in-law (sister-in-law's brother) is a dolphin trainer, and I am TRYING to get my niece to pick UM-RSMAS over UF-Zoology.
It was Ace Ventura. Nuff said. LOL

I honestly can hear Flipper’s laugh to this day. He’d take the fish, splash me, start laughing and raise up half way and swim backwards to the other side of the tank. The trainers and I laughed until we cried. The trainers did say he was very smart and was very playful. He lived like a King.

In elementary, through middle school and into high school, it was my dream to attend Miami and study oceanography. I love the ocean to this day. The wife and I make at least one trip a year to the beach so I can get my ocean fix. Life sent me in other directions but my love for Miami has never wavered.

That’s really cool that your BIL trains dolphins. To me, that would be a dream job! Hopefully, you’ll have another Cane in the family soon.

Sorry for being long winded. Lol

Advertisement
It was Ace Ventura. Nuff said. LOL

I honestly can hear Flipper’s laugh to this day. He’d take the fish, splash me, start laughing and raise up half way and swim backwards to the other side of the tank. The trainers and I laughed until we cried. The trainers did say he was very smart and was very playful. He lived like a King.

In elementary, through middle school and into high school, it was my dream to attend Miami and study oceanography. I love the ocean to this day. The wife and I make at least one trip a year to the beach so I can get my ocean fix. Life sent me in other directions but my love for Miami has never wavered.

That’s really cool that your BIL trains dolphins. To me, that would be a dream job! Hopefully, you’ll have another Cane in the family soon.

Sorry for being long winded. Lol

YOU don't have to apologize to ME for being long-winded...

“Ruiz favorite location is Tropical Park because there is already a small stadium there and it can continue to be used for the community in terms of SFla high school football with plenty land for a new stadium. Early renderings of said stadium look like “a modernized Orange Bowl with a retractable roof” - these were Ruiz’s words.”

Imagine Miami turning down a free, state of the art Orange Bowl stadium because Broward fans don’t want to travel to Miami. 😂

Right. F’em, and I live in broward 😂😂😂

Advertisement
Back